NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

On 2/26/2023 at 6:23 AM, GDAWG said:

Seeing as how the arena is privately funded, it should pass but who knows.  

The arena is going to privately funded according to the Yotes top brass, but they are looking for city sales tax generated on the site to partly pay for the $200 million needed for site remediation, as well as a property tax abatement once construction is finished.

If I was a resident of Tempe, I would take everything the Coyotes say with a massive pinch of salt.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

It's always "privately funded, but." That's why I don't want the Bears to move in down the street. Taxes are high enough without having to pay for an off-ramp to Peanut Tillman's Bar & Grill.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/2/2023 at 3:01 PM, tp49 said:

You left out the biggest softball and most relevant guy to the thread...Auston Matthews who if I remember right is from Scottsdale.

I purposely left him out. He's become the poster boy for hockey players coming from non-traditional markets, so I mentioned some others to show that it isn't a one-off.

It will also be interesting to see how ASU's hockey program grows over the next 5-10 years. You would think they'd have the inside track when it comes to recruiting once they get a bit more established. Pretty easy to sell a kid on playing in Tempe compared to somewhere like Bemidji, MN.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:38 AM, VampyrRabbit said:

I mean if the city wants any sort of development on the site they're going to have to remediate it one way or another. But it sounds like the NIMBYs are fine with it just staying as a landfill.

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

I mean if the city wants any sort of development on the site they're going to have to remediate it one way or another. But it sounds like the NIMBYs are fine with it just staying as a landfill.

I think it's more that they don't want tax incentives handed out to billionaires, which is totally understandable and quite reasonable, and the concerns that the arena could turn into a money pit and put the city on the hook for millions. When the organisation you are dealing with is the Coyotes, those are pretty valid concerns.

• Applause 1

Slamming NIMBYs is for things like trying to get affordable housing built. If there's anyone to whom you should say "not in my back yard," it's the Phoenix Coyotes.

EDIT: #2 is the Chicago Bears

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

And what about a Quebec City expansion team, Mr. Commissioner?

He seems to be more interested in a third chance in Atlanta before going to Quebec.

• Like 1

Signature intentionally left blank

2 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

And what about a Quebec City expansion team, Mr. Commissioner?

Bettman's response  -
Laugh Lol GIF

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

He seems to be more interested in a third chance in Atlanta before going to Quebec.

And a fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh chance in the Valley of the Sun before that.

If the NHL wants to come back to Atlanta they will more than likely need to build a new arena.  State Farm Arena (former home of the Thrashers) was renovated and is now more basketball friendly. If its still possible for a sheet of ice it may end up like another Barclays Center situation. Gas South Arena, located in nearby Duluth, is home to the ECHL Atlanta Gladiators, however it only seats around 13,000

• Applause 1

Signature intentionally left blank

50 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

If the NHL wants to come back to Atlanta they will more than likely need to build a new arena.  State Farm Arena (former home of the Thrashers) was renovated and is now more basketball friendly. If its still possible for a sheet of ice it may end up like another Barclays Center situation. Gas South Arena, located in nearby Duluth, is home to the ECHL Atlanta Gladiators, however it only seats around 13,000

Duluth is 22 miles northeast of Atlanta, MARTA doesn't go there and it's a heavily car dependent suburb. It would be an awful venue for an NHL team.

7 hours ago, Dilbert said:

They lost their hockey team twice. I don't see how a 3rd run could be successful, looking back at their track record and the lack of urgency to save the Thrashers, when their latest team was on the verge of leaving again.

Quebec should get a team, if there's a way to re-arrange the conferences without shoving an eastern team in the west.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dilbert said:

14 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Duluth is 22 miles northeast of Atlanta, MARTA doesn't go there and it's a heavily car dependent suburb. It would be an awful venue for an NHL team.

I wonder if Cobb County (another MARTA-shunning, heavily car-dependent, suburban part of the Metro Atlanta region) and/or Liberty Media Corporation (the MLB Braves' current parent company) would have both the money and the gall to try to lure the NHL back to the Atlanta market by building an NHL-specification arena near the Braves' Truist Park -- quite possibly through buying or otherwise grabbing a large enough swath of land next to The Battery Atlanta (the existing mixed-use development surrounding the Braves' ballpark) and then passing off the arena as, among other things, an expansion / extension of The Battery Atlanta.

Off the top of my head, I can think of one NHL team that has played at a suburban arena near a suburban MLB stadium.  The North Stars spent their whole bittersweet 26-season history in Minnesota at the Met Center -- a stone's throw north of where the Twins' first Minnesota home (and also the NFL Vikings' first home) happened to stand -- in Bloomington, a few miles south of both of the Twin Cities.

Ironically, not even half a decade had passed between the Minnesota North Stars becoming the Dallas Stars and an attempt to bring the Stars into a similar situation in their new market.  In the spring of 1996, shortly after both the Stars and the NBA's Dallas Mavericks had come under new (albeit separate) ownerships, Arlington -- one of the "Mid-Cities" between Dallas and Fort Worth -- began an effort to lure either or both of those teams to an arena that would have existed across the street from the MLB Rangers' then-nascent second Texas ballpark, had an exterior that would have emulated the neoclassical look of the Rangers' then-newish digs, and even been known initially as "The Arena in Arlington" so as to further complement "The Ballpark in Arlington" that was housing the Rangers.  Unfortunately for Arlington (but fortunately, IMO, for the principle of common sense), both the Stars and the Mavs chose instead to stay within the Dallas city limits for their second and current mutual home (the American Airlines Center).

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

They lost their hockey team twice. I don't see how a 3rd run could be successful, looking back at their track record and the lack of urgency to save the Thrashers, when the team was on the verge of leaving.

If nothing else, I think that if anyone with enough financial clout were to make a serious push to have Metro Atlanta enjoy a third chance with the NHL, then a lot of people will feel compelled to ask why that person or group did not try to buy the Thrashers while they were still in Atlanta and were up for sale.

Edited by Walk-Off
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

then a lot of people will feel compelled to ask why that person or group did not try to buy the Thrashers while they were still in Atlanta and were up for sale.

Didn't the owners of the Hawks and arena basically leave the baby Thrashers at the door of the metaphorical fire station? Like Glendale with the Coyotes, helping new owners would have meant another, newer arena to compete for other events.

• Like 1