From the Sox Drawer - Charlotte FC

raysox

During the end of my Freshman year of college, I got an email while sitting in my friend's dorm. It was from a guy named Ian about teaming up to help him bring a true pro soccer team to Charlotte. At that time, the city had the 3rd tier Charlotte Eagles, who was owned by a Christian mission company, and didn't really commit to bringing soccer to Charlotte. The idea was to buy them, then put soccer people in charge and build from there. He wanted something simple, with a rampart lion, and some crowns. I came up with this as a first draft.
Neat.png

Kits2.png
It was on from there.
Since we had an initial brand, he did all the dirty work, trying to find investors. I focused on making this the best logo I had ever made. We moved from yellow center, to a white center, and an original crown.
primary2.png
It was my first attempt at a real brand. I made tons of t-shirt mock ups
all.png
Scarves
scarves.png
Photoshops for billboards
application2.jpg

application.jpg
and graphics for a possible video.

grass.png
Map.png
Cirlces.png
I even mocked up a stadium, which you'll see below. After a while, I was told that a richer team came in and was outbidding us. The Charlotte Independence is the result from that. We never got off the ground, and I never saw a single cent from the the whole thing. I did take a lot out of it, and had fun doing it.

Continuing from the post above, during the discussions the site of Charlotte's Memorial Stadium was tossed around as a great starter for the club. The stadium was built in the mid 30s, and isn't in good condition. My partner sent me a pdf an architect proposed to fixing it. I studied it for hours because I love stadium designs. I have messed around in google sketch up, so I had the idea to make the stadium on there. Ian pitched a crown shaped stands, but I figured the best way would be off the side, having several tapered arches, raising each step. Virginia Tech's football stadium is a lot like this. At first, I had the lower bowl, then a larger stands along the sideline. There's limited space, but the initial design is very simple. The open end faces downtown Charlotte, and would be a great venue.

charlotte.png

old.png

Then I went crazy one day. I wanted it to feel complete. A new mecca of soccer. So from there, I filled in the bowl, added luxury suites between the lower and upper part. I had ramps, stores, and the surrounding area included. I spent weeks fine tuning, and it turned out to be a great building, which you can see below.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

10.png

Damn Mike, this is unreal. You really put together a great, cohesive identity, and the level of detail all around is excellent. I think I prefer the crown from your first draft, but I understand the desire for an original crown.

While it's a bummer this never panned out for you, it sure gave you one heluva portfolio piece!

I’ve seen bits and pieces of this over the years, but this is really one of your finest works, from top to bottom.

The stadium looks fantastic, and I think it’s pretty simple to know how I feel about the branding.

Well done, man. Sucks you didn’t get any $$$ out of it.

6fQjS3M.png

Wow. This is an amazing concept, and it is too bad it didn't work out. At first, it definitely reminded me of Chelsea, but it is not at all the same. That stadium design is also incredible!

56e455ee03d99_newmexico.png.a50dec533f84

This is really top-notch work, all of the branding is fantastic. The t-shirts designs are something which I could easily envision being worn around. And that you went the extra mile with the video presentation, the scarves and the stadium really shows the level of commitment it must have took to do something like this. Really too bad that it didn't work out

07Giants.pngnyy.png

You make incredible work. Phenominal job.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Cjharlotte does need an MLS team. There are no teams in the Southeast. There are several teams in the Pacific Northwest and in the Northeast but none located farther southeast than DC United (or Houston, but that is more western). I like what you did with the uniforms. This was well presented.

Cjharlotte does need an MLS team. There are no teams in the Southeast. There are several teams in the Pacific Northwest and in the Northeast but none located farther southeast than DC United (or Houston, but that is more western). I like what you did with the uniforms. This was well presented.

ORLANDO, you must of forgot

Archived