World University Games - Kansas' patchwork basketball unis

keynote

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/06/kansas-forced-to-alter-jerseys-to-represent-team-usa-at-world-university-games/

You see, the Jayhawks donned Kansas jerseys for their opener against Turkey, with “KANSAS” written across the chest, KU logos at the top of the back and the bottom of the shorts and a small USA patch on the front of the jersey. This wasn’t good enough for FIBA officials, who said the Americans would be forfeiting games if they didn’t make USA more prominent on the front of the uniform.

So they did:

new_jersey_photo_t650.jpg?w=915&h=683

The jerseys were taken to a local shop in Gwangju, South Korea, to get altered between the win over Turkey on Saturday and Sunday’s date with Brazil.

The results are terrible -- but understandable, given the circumstances.

Why do they only send Kansas players there anyway instead of an All Star team of all colleges in the USA?

I know the women's basketball team they sent were a collection of all-stars so I wondering why the men's team isn't chosen in a similar fashion.

Why do they only send Kansas players there anyway instead of an All Star team of all colleges in the USA?

I know the women's basketball team they sent were a collection of all-stars so I wondering why the men's team isn't chosen in a similar fashion.

USA Basketball passed it off to Basketball Travellers, a company who organizes summer tours for college teams. They decided to concentrate on two other summer tournaments: the FIBA U19 and PanAm Games.

I've followed this quite a bit (being a Kansas alum) and I was actually shocked that they were allowed to where the "Kansas" jerseys to begin with. Adidas made these uniforms special for the tournament and I'm almost certain they had to be signed of by USA Basketball and/or FIBA. Seeing that Cal State Fullerton's baseball team had to do the same thing makes me wonder if there was a new rule change or someone at FISU (International University Sports Federation) that didn't make things clear to the schools.

KUHawks.png

USA Basketball passed it off to Basketball Travellers, a company who organizes summer tours for college teams. They decided to concentrate on two other summer tournaments: the FIBA U19 and PanAm Games.

Exactly. Plus they won for the first time in a decade so there's no reason to complain. It wasn't 100% Kansas team as the Jayhawks were joined by a SMU Point guard Nic Moore.

Exactly. Plus they won for the first time in a decade so there no reason to complain. As a side note the Jayhawks were joined by a SMU Point guard Nic Moore.

...and Florida Gulf Coast's Julian DeBose.

KUHawks.png

Exactly. Plus they won for the first time in a decade so there no reason to complain. As a side note the Jayhawks were joined by a SMU Point guard Nic Moore.

...and Florida Gulf Coast's Julian DeBose.
The ESPN article on this made the same mistake...

For me this is funny, because every kid know that on University games you represent your country not college, so I don't know who invented that brilliant idea to put college names on a jersey, but he or she is probably a dumbass.

4r2eer.png

For me this is funny, because every kid know that on University games you represent your country not college, so I don't know who invented that brilliant idea to put college names on a jersey, but he or she is probably a dumbass.

Here's probably what happened, "We're The University of Kansas, so why not put Kansas on the jerseys, like we normally do!". They more than likely didn't know the rules, so chill out before calling people a dumbass.

They did win the gold in double OT over a very good German team. USA hadn't won a gold in the World University Games since 2005. Guess the USA all stars we were sending just didn't care or we weren't sending the best available. A mostly KU team is fine with me. They got the job done.

They did win the gold in double OT over a very good German team. USA hadn't won a gold in the World University Games since 2005. Guess the USA all stars we were sending just didn't care or we weren't sending the best available. A mostly KU team is fine with me. They got the job done.

This, plus a continuity is an important factor. If the talent is comparable, a team that played a full season together is superior to a team that met 2-3 prior to the competition. Since in the States the professional clubs do not have youth team, USA has probably the best academic athletic programmes in the world. Sending one of the best college teams in the country (that wasn't decimated by the NBA Draft like Kentucky or Duke) is actually not a bad idea.

Here's probably what happened, "We're The University of Kansas, so why not put Kansas on the jerseys, like we normally do!". They more than likely didn't know the rules, so chill out before calling people a dumbass.

I said this is funny for me, so they are dumbass in a funny way of being dumbass, so chiil out, cause I'm chill :)

BTW, they didn't notice that on previous universiade USA had USA across the jersey?

4r2eer.png

I said this is funny for me, so they are dumbass in a funny way of being dumbass, so chiil out, cause I'm chill :)

BTW, they didn't notice that on previous universiade USA had USA across the jersey?

I don't they were paying any attention to previous universiade or even the current one outside of basketball. Perhaps it is different in USA (I highly doubt it) but in Europe you only here about this competition when your country wins some medals. I've never came across any broadcast. EDIT: I stand corrected. Apparently, Universiade was broadcasted in Europe. I haven't watch enough TV recently.

P.S. It still fortunate for USA that a team with blue-white-red colour scheme was chosen to participate. It would look hilarious if Michigan State, Syracuse or Oregon uniforms had to be converted into USA Basketball.

Archived