Adidas Lands NHL Uniform Contract for 2017-18 and Beyond

LAWeaver

Not liberalism but neoliberalism. Think Rahm Emanuel, or how supporting marriage equality is the right thing to do because of what it would mean for your brand. #brand

it's amazing that equal rights in this country is now considered a "neoliberal" idea.

Why wouldn't a company want to make itself accessible to as many consumers as possible? It's fundamental business not a liberal or conservative viewpoint.

While I'm against ads on jerseys, (and not quite sure what it has to do with marriage equality in the US), I don't think it's the economic slam dunk some are convinced it will be. At some point you reach a critical mass or saturation point, where the returns of advertising diminish. I dont know for certain ads on jerseys are it, but if I'm Pepsi and I'm the "Official Soft Drink of the NFL" and I'm airing multiple commercials during the broadcasts, and I'm served at the snack bars in many parks, and I have giant neon signs all over Texas Stadium, etc. what does jersey advertising on top of all that do for me?

Photos.

That's why the NBA bans their players from getting tattoos of corporate logos (they consider the body to be part of the uniform), because in every photo in every newspaper and online recap and poster and so on, that logo would get all sorts of free press.

When dasher ads first became a thing, tv networks tried to avoid showing them, they'd cut to a closeup of the skates near those few ads, because they didn't want those logos on air getting free advertising. Uniform manufacturer logos do the same thing, they advertise a brand in every photo, poster, and so on. I remember laughing at a Nike shoe commercial that featured NFL players...in reebok jerseys. They couldn't avoid it, and it made it so something other than the swoosh was in their commercials.

Ads on the jerseys do the same thing, constant, guerrilla advertising...and that's why it needs to be stopped.

I agree with you on why it's done. My question is however just what kind of "value" are they getting from that, which they arent already getting from the myriad other sponsorships related to the sport? Sure, I'll see a Pepsi logo on Tony Romo on ESPN.com and on the weekly highlights, but is that alleged "gain" ever been weighed against a potential cost? At a certain point the public just becomes numb to advertising unless it's really creative or has some shock value. Does merely seeing "Budwesier" on Henrik Lunqvist's sweater make more NYers buy cheap beer?

I think most of the public is already numb to advertising. One of the biggest problems I see with the students I teach is getting them to read the directions at the top of the page. I honestly believe they unknowingly skip it (they swear they didn't even notice directions there, and I believe them) because they're so used to ads being literally everywhere and they know to scan past it without giving it a thought.

But does that stop advertisers? Nope, the answer is to flood it more until they have to notice.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.

The other concern I have is how jersey ad revenues will be distributed among teams. It would have to be split equally among all clubs, lest it reward rich teams and shut out smaller markets. Does anybody believe that the Jets could get anywhere near the amount of money that the Kings or Islanders could?

Agreed.

The other concern I have is how jersey ad revenues will be distributed among teams. It would have to be split equally among all clubs, lest it reward rich teams and shut out smaller markets. Does anybody believe that the Jets could get anywhere near the amount of money that the Kings or Islanders could?

Yes

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Given how big hockey in Canada is? And the fact that the team is owned by a legitimate Lord with business ties across English Canada? I don't think the Jets will be hurting for corporate sponsors.

Now the Coyotes...that's who you have to worry about ;)

Who are the top ratings teams? CHI, NYR, BOS, PHI, TML, VAN, MTL, maybe PIT?

Maybe some national brand would pay to have an ad on AZ's jerseys when they play one of those teams, but wouldn't want a full-season deal (AZ vs FLA would be worth absolutely nothing to anyone other than maybe an assisted living facility.)

NHL is unique in that it's multi-national. I wonder if that would impact some sponsors that only operate in US or Canada? Like would it benefit Comcast to slap their logo on a uniform when a team is playing in Canada? Or lots of banks that would potentially be sponsors might have same concern.

I'm assuming most sponsors would be for local businesses, since the price wouldn't be nearly as high as an NBA or NFL sponsorship would be (just an assumption on my part.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not to be a Western New York homer (but I guess I will anyway), but Buffalo might very well rank higher on this list than people think. There's got to be something behind Sabres games being on NBC Sports even when they've been complete crap the past few years.

Who are the top ratings teams? CHI, NYR, BOS, PHI, TML, VAN, MTL, maybe PIT?

Maybe some national brand would pay to have an ad on AZ's jerseys when they play one of those teams, but wouldn't want a full-season deal (AZ vs FLA would be worth absolutely nothing to anyone other than maybe an assisted living facility.)

NHL is unique in that it's multi-national. I wonder if that would impact some sponsors that only operate in US or Canada? Like would it benefit Comcast to slap their logo on a uniform when a team is playing in Canada? Or lots of banks that would potentially be sponsors might have same concern.

I'm assuming most sponsors would be for local businesses, since the price wouldn't be nearly as high as an NBA or NFL sponsorship would be (just an assumption on my part.)

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Given how big hockey in Canada is? And the fact that the team is owned by a legitimate Lord with business ties across English Canada? I don't think the Jets will be hurting for corporate sponsors.

Now the Coyotes...that's who you have to worry about ;)

The Panthers will be sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived