Adidas Lands NHL Uniform Contract for 2017-18 and Beyond

LAWeaver

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a classic case of the board jumping to conclusions and overreacting. There isn't a single NBA team that adopted Adidas's three-stripe pattern into their uniforms, not to mention NCAA hockey, so why does everyone think the NHL will. I imagine it will find its way onto the practice, All-Star, and maybe World Cup uniforms, none of which matter to me as much as the uniforms that I see every day.

As far as ads go, that's definitely a possibility (and some say an inevitability), but it would be a possibility no matter who got the contract. In fact, Adidas is apparently paying double what Reebok has been paying, so maybe that influx of cash will cause the league to delay throwing ads on the jerseys (wishful thinking I know).

superficial concern:

the stars biggest sponsor has been dr. pepper for decades now... do you know how awful maroon and kelly green look together?

slap a pepsi logo on any of the red, white, and blue teams and your eye may eventually be trained to ignore it. slap a dr. pepper logo on victory green, and it's going to stand out like a sore thumb. :/

What sucks is that standing out like a sore thumb is the best case scenario for companies looking to advertise on the jerseys. If their logo blends in people will barely notice it, and it'll be less eyes on their brand. Its the same reason the home of the Blue Jays is Rogers Centre, and not Rogers Skydome. Less people would be using the name Rogers when referring to the stadium.

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work. And once again, the NHL can't pull off ads tastefully... Just look look at how obtrusive and annoying 'front numbers' were... A tiny minuscule number on the front completely disrupted the way anniversary, and championship patches were executed... I shudder to think of the effect advertisements would have on the uniforms...

The NHL teams can make money on the ads, the advertisers feel that their payments will result in improved income, and the fans still watch/go to games so the teams adopt ads on the uniforms. That is how capitalism is supposed to work. I agree. It won't and can't be tasteful. But at this point, they'd be crazy not to do it. It will cost them approximately 0% of its fans (rounded to the nearest percent).

The real amazing thing is that we've made it this far.

They'll never make another dime from me... I know that doesn't mean anything to them as I'm just one person but it's a fact. Chris from Icethetics has also said that if uniform advertisements become a reality, his web site will be no more and I don't blame him. They are taking the best uniforms in all of sports and bastardizing them for a profit. As a fan, a designer and most importantly, an NHL uniform & logo enthusiast, this news is an absolute gut punch. The Stars mockup with that garbage Dr. Pepper logo is almost enough to make me want to vomit!

I don't disagree that this sucks, but how is this a "gut punch"? We've known that ads are a possibility for forever. This has been foretold for over a decade. The more popular official team merchandise became the more likely it was that they'd try to further monetize it. It's the "winter is coming" of North American sports. We don't know when it'll happen, but it's silly to think it never will.
Exactly. Do I want this? No. Is it happening? Yes. Without question. Best I can hope for is that it's relatively unobtrusive. Something along the lines of the AHL.

I think people are worrying about nothing in regards to the 3 stripes showing up on the jerseys. The only place you could put them without looking completely out of place would be on the pants. Even then, there are teams that have pant striping that you can't really just change or get rid of, like the Rangers. I wouldn't be surprised if they go on the practice jerseys, though. I don't see any massive changes like with the Edge makeover. Teams that are due for change (Calgary, Colorado, Ottawa, etc.) will change, but not because Adidas is taking over. More than likely, Adidas will simply place their logo (or CCM) in place of Reebok with the current templates and be done with it.

As far as ads go, an extra million or so a year will be chump change for the rich teams and won't do much for the poor teams. All it means for teams like Arizona is that will lose a measly $24 million instead of $25 million. If the ads go on the jerseys, a lot of people might not buy one. I hate the fact the jock tag is on the front of the jersey I bought and have wanted to take it off and had actually waited and waited to see if Reebok would come to their senses and went back to the straight hem. So, something like an ad might really put off some people.

The fact that it hasn't happened yet suggests that are a number of road blocks, including dealing with the networks since they wouldn't get a cut from the ads. Don't forget, ads on jerseys have been suggested way back when the edge make over was coming and among the rumours was that goalies would wear a different coloured jersey with ads on them.

Uni-Watch Blog had some good mockups today of the possibilities:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2015/08/18/adidas-wins-nhl-uni-contract-3-stripes-ads-coming/

Some of the better ones:

20050306343_0352a1afb5_z.jpg20483878040_aa8e2fbfbd.jpg

But I'm not holding my breath.

Wait a minute. Adidas can't put three stripes on pants, because they've got contract only for jerseys. Pants can be from any other brand. Am I Right?

4r2eer.png

I would be utterly shocked if the NHL and NBA don't do what the CFL and AHL do -- slap ads on the players' jerseys and leave the replica jerseys clean. That way, you capitalize on the ad revenue without experiencing the drop in merch sales that would be sure to follow selling NASCAR sweaters.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

There's been ads on NHL uniforms for decades - that's all the manufacturer logos are.

Heck - CCM (or Reebok - not sure who was in charge at the time) lobbied for better placement of their logo and got it above the NOB, then even slapped the Koho logo on the road (or home - I forget) versions even thought they were likely made in the same plant by the same people.

Everyone became immune to that, and provided the ads (that haven't been officially announced) are handled similarly, or even in simple sleeve patches or anywhere other than in competition with the crest, people will probably (eventually) grow immune to those too.

It stinks, but it's not the end of the world, and while I do believe that some people will stop watching at first, eventually they'll be back. I really don't think anyone is 100% "never watching again!" because of this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If a Pepsi logo was above the NOB, and the adidas logo on the hem, would anyone even care? Granted, I don't know how effective that'd be from Pepsi's perspective, but if they easied it in like that, I don't think it'd be that big of a deal.

Now if they wanted to be silly, they'd replace the C and A patches with Pepsi logos, so only 3 or 4 players per team would wear the ads - but of course they'd be the stars.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work. And once again, the NHL can't pull off ads tastefully... Just look look at how obtrusive and annoying 'front numbers' were... A tiny minuscule number on the front completely disrupted the way anniversary, and championship patches were executed... I shudder to think of the effect advertisements would have on the uniforms...

The NHL teams can make money on the ads, the advertisers feel that their payments will result in improved income, and the fans still watch/go to games so the teams adopt ads on the uniforms. That is how capitalism is supposed to work. I agree. It won't and can't be tasteful. But at this point, they'd be crazy not to do it. It will cost them approximately 0% of its fans (rounded to the nearest percent).

The real amazing thing is that we've made it this far.

They'll never make another dime from me... I know that doesn't mean anything to them as I'm just one person but it's a fact. Chris from Icethetics has also said that if uniform advertisements become a reality, his web site will be no more and I don't blame him. They are taking the best uniforms in all of sports and bastardizing them for a profit. As a fan, a designer and most importantly, an NHL uniform & logo enthusiast, this news is an absolute gut punch. The Stars mockup with that garbage Dr. Pepper logo is almost enough to make me want to vomit!

I don't disagree that this sucks, but how is this a "gut punch"? We've known that ads are a possibility for forever. This has been foretold for over a decade. The more popular official team merchandise became the more likely it was that they'd try to further monetize it. It's the "winter is coming" of North American sports. We don't know when it'll happen, but it's silly to think it never will.

Because everything unique and special about hockey uniforms is about to be forever compromised to make a buck... I know this has been talked about for a long time but that doesn't make it any better. I'm surprised more people aren't as upset about it on here.

Because everything unique and special about hockey uniforms is about to be forever compromised to make a buck... I know this has been talked about for a long time but that doesn't make it any better. I'm surprised more people aren't as upset about it on here.

Look, revisionist treacle like this conned me into buying The Hockey Sweater for my kid, and I'm not going to stand for it any more. The NHL is a money-making enterprise. It makes lots of it, and its sole purpose is to make more of it, year upon year. Ad patches have been on minor and junior jerseys for decades. Teams have been named after owners' businesses and/or featured products basically since the idea of organized pro sports got up and running. Kids from coast to coast in your country will skate their whole organized careers in jerseys where the sponsor is the main crest, and there's probably another on the back for good measure. (But won't somebody think if the children!) Ads on jerseys will make more money, and once all parties involved figure out how to split the pot, it will happen. It will not ruin the sanctity of the jersey, because there is no such thing. It may not look as nice and dissuade you from buying it (though you will certainly be the exception), but it does not violate some sort of imagined sanctity or compromise the virtue of the sport and the nation which spawned it. It is there to make money. It is a piece of airknit polyester, not the Shroud of Turin.

The fact that this is all coming from someone who used the Orca Bay logo as his avatar for years is just gravy.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My biggest problem is that these sports teams are civic entities; they represent cities and regions. Someone accused me of advertising by wearing a team sweater, that I'm advertising that team. Like hell, I'm showing pride in a city. As such, the city should have some say in what represents them, they paid for the arenas, after all.

So long as they're the Pittsburgh Penguins, they should be devoid of other advertisements that take away from Pittsburgh. If they want to be the Coors Light Penguins, then they can sell as much ad space as they want, because it no longer reflects on a city. You want to root for them still, have at it, but don't pretend it's a city pride thing anymore.

Those jerseys already have an ad on them, an ad for the city they call home. Any other ad is infringing on that space and should not be allowed.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I'm really hoping that the Lightning get a slight update to the current uniforms and add some more black or silver to the primary jersey to get rid of the Leafs look they have right now.

Maybe they should sell ad space to the Raiders.

Or Kings.

Look, revisionist treacle like this conned me into buying The Hockey Sweater for my kid, and I'm not going to stand for it any more. The NHL is a money-making enterprise. It makes lots of it, and its sole purpose is to make more of it, year upon year. Ad patches have been on minor and junior jerseys for decades. Teams have been named after owners' businesses and/or featured products basically since the idea of organized pro sports got up and running. Kids from coast to coast in your country will skate their whole organized careers in jerseys where the sponsor is the main crest, and there's probably another on the back for good measure. (But won't somebody think if the children!) Ads on jerseys will make more money, and once all parties involved figure out how to split the pot, it will happen. It will not ruin the sanctity of the jersey, because there is no such thing. It may not look as nice and dissuade you from buying it (though you will certainly be the exception), but it does not violate some sort of imagined sanctity or compromise the virtue of the sport and the nation which spawned it. It is there to make money. It is a piece of airknit polyester, not the Shroud of Turin.

The fact that this is all coming from someone who used the Orca Bay logo as his avatar for years is just gravy.

It wasn't the Orca Bay logo, it was the god damned Canucks logo! But you're absolutely right... The NHL is a money making league and nothing more than excuse for already wealthy individuals to make even more money off the general populace. In the past my passion for hockey aesthetics and a love of the game itself blinded me to this reality but once the ads appear on jerseys, it will be painfully clear... Scratch that, it is already painfully clear. Has been for a long time, but reading comments like this makes it even more so. I just figured that on a forum dedicated to sports aesthetics people would actually care about, you know, sports aesthetics... I was wrong.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think jersey ads are tacky and icky, and the addition of them will probably mean my jersey-buying days are done, too. Unless the new design is really good and there's a sale, in which case I'll probably fold like a Spanish announcers' table. That SportsChannel sponsor patch didn't prevent me from buying a San Francisco Spiders jersey, after all.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I just figured that on a forum dedicated to sports aesthetics people would actually care about, you know, sports aesthetics... I was wrong.

You're not wrong...you just misjudged how long we've known this is coming. I remember talking about this in the early 2000s. It's been a long time coming. It's no longer about being mad about it happening, because it is happening. It's just come down to hoping for the best outcome out of a lot of bad outcomes. The result is still bad, but we can at least hope that the damage is mitigated.

If it makes you feel any better? I won't be buying any gear once they go to brands. Will I stop watching? No, I won't. I like Canadian football so I watch the CFL. Ads not withstanding. The same will hold true for hockey and the NHL.

The Hockey Sweater, however, is awesome.

The ECHL has advertising on some of their uniforms that is tastefully done, but not every team has them. This isn't an end of the world scenario like everyone is making it out to be. The NHL won't require teams to advertise, so I'm sure some of the big budget teams won't. Teams like Florida and Arizona will jump on board though.

Blackwater-ALL_STAR.JPG

Chest logo, Toyota on helmet

JeffLerg_TOL1415.jpg

PetrMrazekTOL_1213.jpg

ProMedica logo on right chest (above Winterfest logo), Huntington Bank logo on left chest.

Archived