Adidas Lands NHL Uniform Contract for 2017-18 and Beyond

LAWeaver

adidas isn't adding ads to anything.

i don't understand why so many people on this site are confused about what job jersey manufacturers actually have.

there have been speculative articles that say that the NHL will approve ads on sweaters, coinciding with the adidas-era of jerseys.... that's not on adidas. that's on the owners and the commish. i don't want it to happen, but i'm trying to mentally prepare myself for it, regardless... but anyone saying adidas is adding ads to the sweaters is just so far off base that it's unfair.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the NFL and the NBA have been lost to Nike for the foreseeable future, it's actually very little wonder why adidas would try to save face and stay visible in the American sports market. Shame, I really wanted CCM back at the forefront of the NHL.

Midway.png

Adidas owns Reebok, and Reebok owns CCM, so I wonder if there's any chance at all of Adidas just moving forward with CCM branding.

I doubt it, since Adidas already produces hockey jerseys, and because of Midway's comments above.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

It seems like it's going to be adidas branding front-and-center, which really puzzles me. As for the ubiquitous three stripes, I have no doubt they'll be up, down, and all around each team's practice jerseys. I doubt many teams will incorporate them into their game appearance, however.

Probably the Sharks and Panthers will, though. Neither of those teams ever met an ugly corporate sponsorship they didn't like.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hmmm, I honestly don't know how to feel about this, maybe we will see something great, maybe something awful. Plus, even if Reebok were still around, I think it was only a matter of time before ads appeared on jerseys. I know this sounds crazy but growing up watching watching hockey teams with ads on their jerseys, It really wouldn't bother me as much.

Only time will tell.

baltimoreravens.png

It seems like it's going to be adidas branding front-and-center, which really puzzles me. As for the ubiquitous three stripes, I have no doubt they'll be up, down, and all around each team's practice jerseys. I doubt many teams will incorporate them into their game appearance, however.

Probably the Sharks and Panthers will, though. Neither of those teams ever met an ugly corporate sponsorship they didn't like.

THE BB&T BANK ADIDAS THERMA-FIT SPARTA SHIELD FLORIDA PANTHERS UNIFORM SYSTEM SERVED BY BOOSTER JUICE

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I don't know how Reebok operates - if it's just like a "division" of adidas, or if it's run more/less like an independent company under the adidas umbrella.

Reason I'm curious is becaause theoretically they could just slap their logo on the jerseys this season if they're going to use their own branding anyway. May not be how it works though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Adidas apparently decided to reconfigure Reebok into a cross-fit/MMA apparel company, as well as opting to go with CCM branding over Reebok branding for minor and junior hockey. I think it's a case of Adidas running everything as they see fit.

Which is why I don't see this as being that drastic a change. Adidas already has the NHL contract, and they already gave us their league-wide redesign. It was called the Edge Uniform System™ and it sucked, but the league has more or less recovered. This is just Adidas renewing their contract and de-emphasising the Reebok brand, which they've been doing across all leagues they have contracts with.

I really don't see much changing aside from new practice gear. Which will be played up, and covered in the triple stripes. A few teams might take see the superficial changeover from Reebok to Adidas as an opportunity to redesign, but I don't see any league-wide initiative like we saw from the Edge introduction.

Much ado about nothing.

Though I'm with Sodboy. The choice to emphasise Adidas over CCM is weird, considering that Adidas has been pretty consistent with pushing the CCM brand in all other levels of hockey.

B: ads.

Ads, while unwelcome, can be done tastefully. The triple stripes league-wide can't be done tastefully.

Not that the question is fair. Cole is right. Adidas has nothing to do with the ads. They're happening. It didn't matter who got the contract.

Question though:

Given that these are the only choices in existence:

A: three stripes incorporated

B: jersey ads

Either way, I'm not buying, so slap on the ads and get paid.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Ads, while unwelcome, can be done tastefully. The triple stripes league-wide can't be done tastefully.

Not that the question is fair. Cole is right. Adidas has nothing to do with the ads. They're happening. It didn't matter who got the contract.

Ads cannot be done tastefully. They would be an assault on traditional hockey aesthetics and the very game itself... Mark my words, if this happens, I will never watch another game or buy another piece of merch... There are already ads all over the arena's, ad nauseam. Adding them to jerseys would be just another inexcusable excuse for corporate greed, and the final straw for me.

Ads cannot be done tastefully. They would be an assault on traditional hockey aesthetics and the very game itself... Mark my words, if this happens, I will never watch another game or buy another piece of merch... There are already ads all over the arena's, ad nauseam. Adding them to jerseys would be just another inexcusable excuse for corporate greed, and the final straw for me.

The teams that are losing money would argue with the "corporate greed" part.

If there's one sport that could pull off ads tastefully, it's the NHL, where they could be done as a shoulder patch or sleeve patch or probably one or two other places without getting in the way too much due to the sheer real estate which which there is to work with on a hockey jersey.

Of course I don't trust them to actually do it tastefully, but it could be done.

Keep in mind that I'm saying "tastefully" having already accepted that it's happening. Obviously, the most "tasteful" option would be none at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Exactly. I don't want ads. At all. That's not an option though. They will happen.

And I could live with AHL-style ads. It's not ideal. At all. It's just the best option out of a lot of bad options.

I wouldn't buy a branded sweater though. I'll just stick with the brand-free options I already own. Besides. I've already got a Wendel Clark sweater. It's not like I need anything else :P

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work. And once again, the NHL can't pull off ads tastefully... Just look look at how obtrusive and annoying 'front numbers' were... A tiny minuscule number on the front completely disrupted the way anniversary, and championship patches were executed... I shudder to think of the effect advertisements would have on the uniforms...

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work.

You do realize that 1/3 of the league's franchises lost money in 2014. Including teams like the Islanders, Wild, Blue Jackets, Ducks, Blues, and Lightning. Sports have been known to be money losing endeavors for the owners and quite often teams as well. All it seems they're doing is going for a cheap, quick way to help the problem.

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work.

You do realize that 1/3 of the league's franchises lost money in 2014. Including teams like the Islanders, Wild, Blue Jackets, Ducks, Blues, and Lightning. Sports have been known to be money losing endeavors for the owners and quite often teams as well. All it seems they're doing is going for a cheap, quick way to help the problem.
True, but in places like Tampa where the team owns the venue, I'm sure the franchise may lose $$$ but overall the owner is making a profit when you include other events the venue hosts.

Archived