Yakball Revolution

raysox

NEW.png

You guys, it's back.

A few weeks ago, I started reading back the historical fictional football league threads on the boards. It was so cool because they decided the teams, brands, and performances. I wanted to do a similar series based around Out of the Park Baseball, but I wasn't in love with the idea.

Then I remembered something I had complete creative control in.

The year is 2028. This year is significant because it has a few milestones. It will be the 10th year of Major League Yakball, the original league based in the United States. Founder and GOAT Michael Taylor(that's me, let me have that one) has announced that he will retire by the end of the year to become the Yakball Association president. The sport is booming. Sixteen recognized top level leagues exist. Major sporting clubs like Real Madrid and Bayern Munich have bought local clubs and put them under the umbrella organization. The 3rd World Yakball Cup begins play in the UK in mid December, the last of the original nations to host. This is the last time it will be on the original 4 year sequence, as the sport will begin being played at the Olympics in 2032.

Yakball is played in the summer, between April and October. The leagues are always 16 teams, they play between 40 and 50 games a regular season, depending on the structure of the table. Each season ends the same week with a tournament at a neutral location, much like conference tournaments in college basketball. The winners in each league advance to the Super League, a week long tournament between the 16 champions.

For those of you still confused by what's going on, search yakball. Just about any search engine will bring up the old concept series I did based on a sport I made up.

Or you can click this link.

A quick run down - I invented this sport in high school. It's a 4 on 4 game similar to half court basketball. The goal is to throw the ball in the target located in the center of a wall. The wall is playable, and can be used in passing, or provide a backboard for missed shots. The field is broken up into three zones. There is a face off dot, used at the beginning of every quarter, outside the 2 point line. Then closest to the wall, there is a box. The box is where the center plays/lives. They aren't allowed to leave unless a teammate raises their arm when the center has possession, running the ball out to behind the line. The center acts as a goalie on defense, and the best attacking option on offense. Each point results in the other team taking it out behind the 2 point line.

Here's the nitty gritty. The clock is running, four 20 minute quarters. There's on the fly substitutions too, with the substitute zone being made bigger. Each team has to pass the ball twice before a shot is allowed. Shots before then will be waved off and possession will be given to the opponents. Only 2 players on the attacking team can be in the box at the same time. If a third is there, the shot will be waived off. No one on offense is allowed in the crease in front of the box, or possession will be lost. The game is physical, but no tackling. If a player gets tackled, tripped, or hit by a player who ran up to them, the offender will have a penalty and have to sit in the sub-zone for 2 minutes.

I think that's it, I haven't played in 3 years. Here, have a diagram.

Field2.png

The sport has been ever changing. Simple rules have been adapted to make the game better. As mentioned, the sub zone has been made bigger. The wall has been updated to a more stable netting. Much like an arena football goal post net. The target now has censored pads that will easily tell if a ball went in. The uniforms have also changed. The referees decided that sleeve numbers would help differentiate players. The Yakball Association crest now is moved between the team crest and manufacture logo.

Check it out.

Template2.png
Here is a svg link to the new template (based on my soccer template), font, and the yakball field.

I was going crazy not having a series up, and I miss the sport.

Here's how the concept series will work. I'll post a voting link. You all will vote for a final of the year end tournament. So each league will have 2 teams done, determined by the most votes. I'll do a little write up of the league since I last left off. I'll post the competition logo, the teams, and who advanced. After the Super League is decided, I'll post full concepts of all 16 teams and how the Super League went. Eventually, I'll post the international teams that have a shot to qualify for the World Yakball Cup. We'll end it then, with the 16 team international tournament. How does that sound?

Thank you for reading, and vote for your favorite Major League Yakball teams. Go read that thread for full sets.

Vote for the Major League Yakball champions

Here is a map of all the teams
Here is a list of all the teams

I need suggestions for names before I post the polls for the teams. I relied a lot on the followers for team names last time, and want you guys involved in as much as possible. So if you have any suggestions for teams in the 13 new leagues that just have a pin on the map(those that do are off the table), please send them in below

Yakball Suggestion Box

Major League Yakball

Tim Horton's Yakball Canada

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the league logo is out of place on the front. It's much too big next to the crest and manufacturer mark, and I think shrinking it and moving it to the shorts or back collar would look much better. Really looking forward to this series.

spacer.png

I just looked through your old thread (i stopped after 3 pages not because it was boring, because I have work to do.) But I think if you put that "Outlaws" secondary on a shirt, I woud buy it. (not actualy; I'm not from texas, but I would buy it if it existed and if I lived in texas.

And Same to the previous 2 posts

Sorry if this post sounds stupid. I'm tired.

tinysig.jpg

Awesome to see this come back, and I'm excited to see how your design skills have matured in the three years since version 1.0. The first series was top-notch, so I'm expecting amazing things from this!

Now, if only I could learn to play this in real life...

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

@crash thanks bud, not sure why everyone is asking to be an owner. I never said anyone could be and it wouldn't even work? Cmon kids.

@nash that's what I was thinking, just looking back at concepts I see so much I could've done better. This one is going to be so good.

@wissx yes that's why I posted the download link. Go search Yakball in the forums and look at all the concept threads that started by other people

As mentioned before, there are 16 top tier leagues in the world. Originally, the Yakball Association started Major League Yakball in 2018. They decided that there would be leagues in Canada and the British Isles as the 2nd and 3rd leagues. These leagues would be known as the Charter 3. In the Magna Carta of yakball, it was written that these 3 countries would host the first 3 World Yakball Cups. The USA hosted in 2020, Canada in 2024, and the UK in 2028. The first two hosts won.

They're the 3 leagues I completed in full on my original run. Here are their new logos.

MLY.png

Canada.png

Isles.png

As interest grew from other countries, the sport recognized that it would be hard for countries to meet the 16 team limit alone. Yakball carefully set up a league in Southern Europe called the Orange MediLeague. They had teams in Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland, and Portugal. Though not traitionally Mediterranean, the geography worked and travel wasn't bad. Yakball established the 3.1 rule. Vancouver and St. John's are roughly 3,111 miles apart. Leagues couldn't pass this, all teams had to be within this distance to be logistically playable.

After the MediLeague started, leagues in Central Europe, Scandinavia, Australia, and China started. This brought up an interesting strategy. Teams saw that national teams could be built on domestic leagues, such as the USA and Canada. But since they couldn't support 16 teams, some national teams opted for one team in their country. That way, their national roster could play together year round, if not broken up. A typical yakball roster has 12 players, but only 10 can dress for the game. The good players would be bought by bigger leagues, and they could just slide in a young player in replacement. Iceland was the first to come up with the strategy when Reykjavik was admitted to the SKF Nordic Liga.

Over the next 5 years, many new leagues started up. Brazil and Mexico started 16 teams domestically. Russia has 14/16 when they started their league. Japan shared a league with Korea, with the majority being Japanese due to the national player pool's depth.

Yakball always said that each league must have 16 teams or nothing. The sport single handily brought world peace, allowing "pan-leagues" to form. Pan Leagues are leagues that span several countries, some with troubled pasts. The Union League in Southeast Europe is a good example. Teams in Greece, Turkey, and all over the Former Yugoslavia allowed the citizens to finally have top level yakball. The Arab League spans over Islamic nations, and two from Israel. People believed they should not judge based on religion, and just play yakball (I had to write this in for any of this to make sense). The Air Asia Yakball League spans 7 countries from India to the Philippines.

The newest league is the Vodaphone PanAfro League. Sixteen teams began playing in Africa last year, with 11 national teams wanting to bring teams to their country. South Africa has 4 teams, and is considered a rising team in the Yakball world.

So why am I telling you all this? I wanted your help.

Here is a map of all the teams
Here is a list of all the teams

I need suggestions for names before I post the polls for the teams. I relied a lot on the followers for team names last time, and want you guys involved in as much as possible. So if you have any suggestions for teams in the 13 new leagues that just have a pin on the map(those that do are off the table), please send them in below

Yakball Suggestion Box

Glad to see again!

Shame you couldn't include Zacatecas in the Mexican league. The state is known for its silver deposits and the Plateados would've been a great name with a primary color ready to work with. I'll see what I can dig up for what you do have.

Midway.png

This. Is. Amazing. I just looked through the entire original thread and was able to catch a few of the newer teams when you released them earlier this year. You have got some guts to do 16 top-tier leagues with 16 teams each. Can't wait to see where this goes. Also, just a suggestion, but how about Alibaba sponsoring the league in China seeing that you don't have a sponsor for it at the moment?

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

Glad to see again!

Shame you couldn't include Zacatecas in the Mexican league. The state is known for its silver deposits and the Plateados would've been a great name with a primary color ready to work with. I'll see what I can dig up for what you do have.

All the locations, other than Africa, are actually determined by indoor arenas with 5000+ seats. A lot of wikipedia went into this!

This. Is. Amazing. I just looked through the entire original thread and was able to catch a few of the newer teams when you released them earlier this year. You have got some guts to do 16 top-tier leagues with 16 teams each. Can't wait to see where this goes. Also, just a suggestion, but how about Alibaba sponsoring the league in China seeing that you don't have a sponsor for it at the moment?

Thanks! I figure if I can do the 2 most people want to see, 32 total concepts wont be bad. Then the national teams should be super easy.

I may or may not do a yakball-my vactaion spots league. That would be cool.

Florence, Italy

Dublin, Ireland

*somewhere else*, Ireland

Tortola, BVI

Tampa, FL

Philadelphia, PA

WIlliamsport, PA

Avalon, NJ

I'll try to, but with my brain, I can't promise anything.

tinysig.jpg

Archived