2016 NASCAR Season Thread

LAWeaver

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

He said he wants to spend more time with his family. Not sure what else you can get out of it. 

The man's spent ten years in the sport and what does he have to show for it other than a pole, a second-place run at Talladega a couple weeks ago (his only top-ten at the level), and two  truck wins. 

Like, $10 million in career earnings probably.

IUe6Hvh.png

The Championship Four is set for the Truck Series: Johnny Sauter, Matt Crafton, Christopher Bell, and Timothy Peters.

If you're wondering, William Byron, the 18-year-old with SIX victories on the season and looked to be on his way to number seven last night, blew an engine while leading with only 15 laps to go, ending his chances at a championship despite a dominant season. 

You can't help but to feel bad for the kid. Like Truex Jr. in the Sprint Cup Chase, he had an exceptional season only to have it 'go up in smoke' thanks to a mechanical failure. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the Truck champion won't be representing the entire season. My money is on either Crafton or Sauter, but it goes without say that Byron should be the true champ. But that's how the system goes now.

Also, I want ot go back to Edward's win at Texas for a sec. At the moment, I'm in training to joining the radio team at my school. The Wednesday after Martinsville, I got to do my own 5-minute segment, so obviously I decided to talk abot NASCAR. I made the prediction that if the remaining three spots at the time were filled with Joe Gibbs drivers, then Carl Edwards would be the guy left on the outside. Then comes Texas... Glad he was able to prove me wrong.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

10 hours ago, mr.nascar13 said:

The Championship Four is set for the Truck Series: Johnny Sauter, Matt Crafton, Christopher Bell, and Timothy Peters.

If you're wondering, William Byron, the 18-year-old with SIX victories on the season and looked to be on his way to number seven last night, blew an engine while leading with only 15 laps to go, ending his chances at a championship despite a dominant season. 

You can't help but to feel bad for the kid. Like Truex Jr. in the Sprint Cup Chase, he had an exceptional season only to have it 'go up in smoke' thanks to a mechanical failure. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the Truck champion won't be representing the entire season. My money is on either Crafton or Sauter, but it goes without say that Byron should be the true champ. But that's how the system goes now.

Also, I want ot go back to Edward's win at Texas for a sec. At the moment, I'm in training to joining the radio team at my school. The Wednesday after Martinsville, I got to do my own 5-minute segment, so obviously I decided to talk abot NASCAR. I made the prediction that if the remaining three spots at the time were filled with Joe Gibbs drivers, then Carl Edwards would be the guy left on the outside. Then comes Texas... Glad he was able to prove me wrong.

I felt bad for those who attended the truck race.  One-third of the race was under Caution, but it seemed like half the race was.  Yuk.

9 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

NASCAR's website listed 5 possible replacements for the RPM #44 following Brian Scott's retirement at season's end.

They are:

Darrell Wallace Jr

Chris Buescher 

Landon Cassil

Tyler Reddick

Alex Bowman

Thoughts?

I could see Darrell Wallace jr. getting it if he doesn't replace biffle in the 16

I would love for Bubba to come up although I could see Bowman or Buescher taking the 44 ride.

Meanwhile, this could be big...

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/monster-energy-a-finalist-in-nascar-title-sponsor-search-849556/

While other companies remain in contention, Monster is in an advanced stage of negotiations with NASCAR to replace Sprint, multiple sources confirmed.

As recently as last month, NASCAR Chairman Brian France said the search for a replacement for Sprint remained “on schedule.”  

In all honesty, I could see this happen, Monster has the history with racing & sports, I like it if it happens.

baltimoreravens.png

3 hours ago, rvrdgsfn said:

I would love for Bubba to come up although I could see Bowman or Buescher taking the 44 ride.

Meanwhile, this could be big...

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/monster-energy-a-finalist-in-nascar-title-sponsor-search-849556/

While other companies remain in contention, Monster is in an advanced stage of negotiations with NASCAR to replace Sprint, multiple sources confirmed.

As recently as last month, NASCAR Chairman Brian France said the search for a replacement for Sprint remained “on schedule.”  

In all honesty, I could see this happen, Monster has the history with racing & sports, I like it if it happens.

Monster Cup Series?

Monster Energy Cup Series?

If it were to happen, I'd hope they go with the first option.

I'm all for the Monster Cup Series, but what will this mean for Kurt Busch considering he was sponsored by Monster for half the season (including today's race)?

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

40 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

I'm all for the Monster Cup Series, but what will this mean for Kurt Busch considering he was sponsored by Monster for half the season (including today's race)?

Kurt Busch I wouldn't be too worried about, Ricky stenhouse will probably lose his NOS sponsorship now, or be grand fathered in for a few seasons like Cingular/AT&T was for Jeff burton after Nextel/sprint took over.

36 minutes ago, dont care said:

Kurt Busch I wouldn't be too worried about, Ricky stenhouse will probably lose his NOS sponsorship now, or be grand fathered in for a few seasons like Cingular/AT&T was for Jeff burton after Nextel/sprint took over.

I dunno but I can imagine the cell companies coming back in soon enough. I do think Erik Jones will be fine for the time being then who knows?

Results from Phoenix:

1. Logano

2. Kyle Busch

3. Larson

4. Harvick

5. Kurt Busch

6. Bowman

7. Hamlin

8. Blaney

9. Elliott

10. Menard

Logano get retribution & is in the final. A great run for Bowman, at least for a while. Overtime made it interesting, I'll give it that. Kyle will be going for his 2nd cup, Jimmie will go for his 7th, Carl & Joey will go for their first. Bummer for Harvick, Hamlin, Kurt Busch & especially Kenseth.

So here are top 4 for each series

Sprint Cup:

- Johnson

- Kyle Busch

- Logano

- Edwards

Xfinity:

- Suarez

- Sadler

- Jones

- Allgaier

Camping World:

- Sauter

- Crafton

- Bell

- Peters

My predictions: Johnson, Jones, Sauter

Next up, the season finale at Homestead Miami

baltimoreravens.png

Did not enjoy that ending at all. At first, I had thought it was Busch's fault for trying to go under Bowman. It actually initiated the contact with Kenseth, but after looking at the replay Kenseth simply came down too low too soon. Sealing his own fate.

I think after a dominant race, Bowman will have more teams looking at him.

31 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Did not enjoy that ending at all. At first, I had thought it was Busch's fault for trying to go under Bowman. It actually initiated the contact with Kenseth, but after looking at the replay Kenseth simply came down too low too soon. Sealing his own fate.

I think after a dominant race, Bowman will have more teams looking at him.

I was rooting for him today. I thought that with him being in second with the first green-white-checkered, that he'd end up winning.

I hope, for his sake, that he does get a full time ride. That said, I hope that those teams aren't lower-level teams. He's been there, done that, with BK and Tommy Baldwin. Now that he's shown that he can succeed and get progressively better with top-notch equipment, he deserves a full-time ride with the best stuff.

What is the Hendrick situation? I know they've got Johnson, Elliott, and Jr. if he is able to continue. What about Kahne? Also, if Jr. can't continue due to the concussions, do you think Bowman would take over the ride permanently? What about other top-notch teams, like Roush, JGR, Stewart-Haas, Chip-Ganassi, RCR?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

JGR seems to be set as far as drivers go for the next few years. 

I could see McMurray hanging it up in a couple years if he's still not successful. I can see Bowman driving the #1 car and doing well with Hendrick power.

Kahne is on the hot seat at Hendrick and he knows it. If nothing happens again next year, he's out. 

No one except for Austin Dillon is safe at RCR. Menard has the sponsorship to continue, but hasn't ran well other than the surprise victory at the Brickyard a couple years back. Newman re-signed but needs to win. The organization is looking at its third consecutive season without a win. Harvick was the last guy to win in an RCR car. Somethings gotta change.

Speaking of things needing to change, Roush Fenway Racing. Edwards is the last guy to win a race in a Roush car. Stenhouse has been less than impressive, Bayne's just another car in the field, and rumor has it Biffle has one foot out the door. Buescher needs to go in the 16 ahead of Reed if Roush is wanting to stay (somewhat) in-house. 

Another ride I can see Bowman going to is the #10 if Danica doesn't improve.

Unless the 44 team gets the funding to stay afloat and Bowman is desperate for a ride and goes with them, there's nothing available at the moment other than the possibility of the 16 car being open. 

The lugnut penalty system is incredibly flawed. The officials on pit road essentially don't care if lugnuts are or are not put on tires yet after the race they subject teams to penalties, fines, and suspensions. 

Elliott Sadler's crew chief got suspended for the last race of the season because of two "improperly secured" lugnuts. Call me crazy, but shouldn't the crew member that put those lugnuts on the tire be the subject of the suspension?

Tommy Baldwin, owner of Tommy Baldwin Racing and the #7 of Regan Smith, has sold his charter to, of all teams, Levine Family Racing, prior to this week's race at Miami. This brings back the #59 last seen at this year's Daytona 500.

This will probably pave the way for Ty Dillon to race in the Cup Series full-time next year.

Any word on who replaces Cole Custer in the #00 for JR Motorsports CWTS ride since he's leaving for a full time NXS Stewart-Haas Racing ride in 2017?

Also, am I the only one who thinks that once the CWTS and NXS Chases start, full time Sprint Cup Series drivers should not drive in those remaining races?

Archived