Uniform match ups that were superior

Silver_Star

I can't imagine too many others would say that it's the best ever. Quite frankly I just never liked those bronco uniforms, not that their currents are anything special.

The reason why I love the matchup that much because it's a battle of old school vs. new school uniforms. Classic and traditional for cutting edge at the time. The color balance of the two teams were exceptional too. That's why I like it so much.

Go A's!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People need to post some more NHL classics and MLB classics too. I know Classic Winnipeg Jets is not getting any love. The Royal Blue and Dark Kelly Green is a good color for the Jets in the NHL and I loved the scheme so much like the classic Seattle Seahawks before they did some good 2002-2011 color combo if it wasn't monochrome in the first place. But yeah. Then the Padre's Medium Brown and Yellow Gold vs the Houston Astro's Navy and Orange colors. That was spectacular!

2011+NHL+Bridgestone+Winter+Classic+Wash

Loved both of these

Is that Winnipeg Jets vs Washington Capitals? I remember that match up. Man, the Red, White, and Blue vs Navy Blue and Columbia Blue is easy on the eyes big time. Plus the uniforms are very standard and not very radical which I like. But sorry, Winnipeg's Royal Blue and Dark Kelly Green did the trick for me.

Well first off, that match up above is the Pittsburgh Penguins vs. the Washington Capitals in the Winter Classic a couple of years ago.

Second off all, to both the bolded comments above, the Winnipeg Jets (Current Coyotes) Used to wear royal blue and red. The Current Winnipeg Jets wear navy, silver, Columbia Blue, and a little bit of red/marroon. NOT KELLY GREEN!!!! That's the NEW YORK Jets. :lol:

Oops, I thought they were Royal blue and Kelly green. I kept thinking of the Hartford Whalers :( :(

This uni matchup only happened once, in 1980:

bell-pit80.jpg

I remember seeing that float around online too. This was the first time seeing these two color combos going at it. I remember there was one with the Broncos and Vikings from 1991 somewhere. This was when the Vikings and Broncos were in 5th place in their respected divisions and played once with the other two teams.

Scarlet and yellow gold vs royal blue and yellow gold anyone. Looks good on ice. But the Los Angeles Rams vs Kansas City Cheifs, it doesn't look quite good. You have to take the red pants away or the Cheifs have to force the Rams to wear White which makes it look good.

See how Calgary and St. Louis does it. The Blues wearing royal blue against the Flames which makes this match look excellent!

St-Louis-Blues-clinch-playoff-spot-with-

I agree with the sentiment about the colours but nothing can make those Flames uniforms palatable, let alone excellent.

See, that is the problem with the Calgary Flames. If they left the Black alone and just kept Red and Yellow Gold as the color, their uniforms would of worked. Instead of Black, if they added Orange as a third color, the uniform would of looked good, but then there would of been complaints or disfan service about there being Orange added to the Red and Yellow Gold. But if it wasn't for the Black, then they would of did better. If they just went with Red, Orange, and White, then it would of worked with Red being the Flame's primary color. But they added Black to the Red and Yellow Gold color scheme which made it look too Atlanta Hawks of the 1990's.

Beautiful.

winter_classic-4.jpg?w=620

This is what hockey should be...

I agree there. Plus the Royal Blue, Silver, and White vs Red and White in the snow. That is true Hockey if they play in the snow like this on ice. That is what Hockey should always be like.

People need to post some more NHL classics and MLB classics too. I know Classic Winnipeg Jets is not getting any love. The Royal Blue and Dark Kelly Green is a good color for the Jets in the NHL and I loved the scheme so much like the classic Seattle Seahawks before they did some good 2002-2011 color combo if it wasn't monochrome in the first place. But yeah. Then the Padre's Medium Brown and Yellow Gold vs the Houston Astro's Navy and Orange colors. That was spectacular!

I'm guessing that by royal blue and dark kelly green you mean the Whalers, not the Jets.

Titans vs. Steelers from 2009

Steelers-vs-Titans.jpg

Love the Titans' light-blue pants. The Oilers' light-blue pants were pretty good too, and these are the Titans' main visual link to their history.

2011+NHL+Bridgestone+Winter+Classic+Wash

Loved both of these

Is that Winnipeg Jets vs Washington Capitals? I remember that match up. Man, the Red, White, and Blue vs Navy Blue and Columbia Blue is easy on the eyes big time. Plus the uniforms are very standard and not very radical which I like. But sorry, Winnipeg's Royal Blue and Dark Kelly Green did the trick for me.

Well first off, that match up above is the Pittsburgh Penguins vs. the Washington Capitals in the Winter Classic a couple of years ago.

Second off all, to both the bolded comments above, the Winnipeg Jets (Current Coyotes) Used to wear royal blue and red. The Current Winnipeg Jets wear navy, silver, Columbia Blue, and a little bit of red/marroon. NOT KELLY GREEN!!!! That's the NEW YORK Jets. :lol:

Oops, I thought they were Royal blue and Kelly green. I kept thinking of the Hartford Whalers :( :(

It's okay, the current Winnipeg Jets are too bland to remember anyway. I agree that their old (blue-and-red) look was pretty good.

Any team uniform match up that was not an eye sore to people.

I got one. My favorite was when the Rams played the Bills when the Bills had either White or Red helmets during the 1980's and 1990's. I think 2002's match up with the two stunk badly. But this one is far superior because both wearing Royal Blue, but one either wears Red or Yellow Gold! Gawd damn, the red socks and the blue socks with yellow trim is a sweet match up too.

buffalo-bills-v-los-angeles-rams.jpg?w=6

Cribbs,Joe11.jpg

I wasn't a big fan of those red socks from your 1983 photo, I preferred white socks better with the blue pants from the Raiders home game in 1980, and how the striping matched the jersey sleeves, but to each his own.

If you'll notice, the helmet logo was enlarged in 1982 (like in your photo from 1983) to which made the helmet look much better.

This is very subjective and I might be the only one who believes this, but the Packers-Broncos from Super Bowl 32 is the best uniform matchup ever in NFL history.

This is very subjective and I might be the only one who believes this, but the Packers-Broncos from Super Bowl 32 is the best uniform matchup ever in NFL history.

The Broncos' unis aren't awful, then or now, but the navy blue jerseys always looked very drab to me. I'm a fan of brightly-colored jerseys, and they went from those super-cool bright orange jerseys with the royal blue/sky blue (depending on the lighting) helmets to dark blue jerseys and dark blue helmets, respectively. They look much better now that they're primarily wearing orange as their dark jersey.

As for the Pack, they pretty much always look good, except for those dumb blue throwbacks (sorry, just never liked 'em, although they were more tolerable with the brown helmets). I liked their look better before they darkened and dulled their green though. The Jets did it too and they wear the exact same shade of green now, and it's so drab it's almost black.

I mentioned it before in the NHL thread, but Stars/Oilers is one of my new favorite matchups a in all of sports:

459589618_fullSize.jpg

Gosh, those colors just look fantastic against each other.

I AM IN HEAVEN. THIS IS EYE CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was lucky enough to see that in person earlier this year. looks so much nicer than back when i'd go see stars/penguins in person, for example. black and gold versus white, black, and champagne...

i love the trend to bring color back to the sport. i don't care how "tough" dark colors look. it is hard to rally around your team's identity when it is all dark and muted colors. "victory green" really gets you to buy in to the whole thing, as a fan. dallas, philly, nashville, edmonton, and the isles may be gaudy and bright and intense, but those are colors you can rally behind a lot easier than the drab color schemes of prior decades.

speaking of which, i'm a big fan of dallas/nashville matchups too. THAT is my ideal hope for a color-on-color NHL game. that'd be a beauty. give the preds the yellow buckets too.

461200144_slide.jpg

Archived