North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

I could write a book about it. I won't. 

Simply put: Canada can't break off and have an MLS equivalent league. The talent pool isn't there. If there was, we'd make the hex at least. 

The  upcoming D2 CPL will be perfect. Gives Canadians a track to follow to go pro. Let's hope this helps raise the talent level. Now if the CSA can just get its :censored: together (again. Don't get me started)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The clubs from the great white north came to play tonight! An all Canadian Eastern Conference Final has come closer to reality.

So who's more likely to overcome the aggregate and win their series in the 2nd leg, Red Bulls or NYCity?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

53 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

So who's more likely to overcome the aggregate and win their series in the 2nd leg, Red Bulls or NYCity?

I'd probably say the Red Bulls since it's only a one goal disadvantage and the Impact aren't as good as TFC.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Leslie Jones (SNL, Ghostbusters) spent all day watching soccer and tweeting videos: http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/snls-leslie-jones-discovers-mls-soccer-hilariously-spends-all-day-tweeting-about-it/

The story cuts off at the RBNY/Montreal game, but the Sounders site I go to has her reacting to the Valdez goal tonight. That's a lot of soccer!

Speaking of, I went to the game. Dallas looked flat all night. Seattle could have scored 5 if they connected on some early shots.

I think the MLS playoff format needs to be tweaked a bit. It seems like opening at home would be a benefit for the higher seed, just to have the comfort of home to score a bunch of goals. Dallas is down three headed into next weekend, and that's a pretty heavy lift. If Seattle scores even once next week, it's basically over. That doesn't seem like a good reward for winning the SS.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

From what I saw, Jones was mostly reacting to the hot guys on the pitch (and the bench - she was particularly taken by New York City'a subs).  Which is okay. 

I get your point about home field advantage - batting last has always been the benefit, but the away goals rule might complicate that, as it makes the lower seed's goals count more in the second leg. 

Jones did provide some incisive analysis regarding the raison d'etre of a goalkeeper:

When you're right, you're right.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I think the MLS playoff format needs to be tweaked a bit. It seems like opening at home would be a benefit for the higher seed, just to have the comfort of home to score a bunch of goals. Dallas is down three headed into next weekend, and that's a pretty heavy lift. If Seattle scores even once next week, it's basically over. That doesn't seem like a good reward for winning the SS.

I think having all the round being single elimination would eliminate a lot of the headaches going on with these playoffs.

Also get rid of the wildcard round and have only the top four teams qualifying for now. When the league adds more teams maybe they can go back to six teams but 12/20 is way too many teams making the postseason.

Given that last year's champ was a wild card team and this year's SS winner is on the verge of beating outed, I think there's value in the wild card. And I like the knockout round.

If you're going to keep away goals, I'd flip home/away. But I'd ditch away goals and just head to extra time/penalties as needed. Goals shouldn't magically count for more information the post season. That's weird and complicated and just leads to parking the bus in the second leg.

The NBA allows more than half the league in the playoffs, in part because it keeps interest spread among more markets. I think the NHL does that too, but I don't understand their new playoff system. MLB has seen success with an expanded playoff field. The NFL can't add teams without busting the schedule or removing the 1/2 seed byes.

In sum, away goals hurt the game. Otherwise, MLS playoffs are fine.

16 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Given that last year's champ was a wild card team and this year's SS winner is on the verge of beating outed, I think there's value in the wild card. And I like the knockout round.

If you're going to keep away goals, I'd flip home/away. But I'd ditch away goals and just head to extra time/penalties as needed. Goals shouldn't magically count for more information the post season. That's weird and complicated and just leads to parking the bus in the second leg.

The NBA allows more than half the league in the playoffs, in part because it keeps interest spread among more markets. I think the NHL does that too, but I don't understand their new playoff system. MLB has seen success with an expanded playoff field. The NFL can't add teams without busting the schedule or removing the 1/2 seed byes.

In sum, away goals hurt the game. Otherwise, MLS playoffs are fine.

I think CONCACAF Champions League used to be this way before falling in line with everyone else. I understand if a competition has limited dates due to multiple organizations being involved (UEFA, CONMEBOL, etc.) but if it's just your league, all goals counting the same would force teams to stop playing for a 1 goal loss away from home with 20 minutes left on the clock because a 2-1 loss is really a 2-2 tie. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

41 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Portland winning last year is part of the reason why I hate it. A team shouldn't be rewarded for mediocrity during the majority of the year.

43 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

That's what it was like until the Red Bulls bitched in 2013 after being knocked out in the first first to Houston even though they would have probably won if the away goal rule was in effect.

41 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The NBA allows more than half the league in the playoffs, in part because it keeps interest spread among more markets.

There is a reason why people say that the regular season in basketball is completely worthless. Also 16/30 generates a smaller percentage than 12/20.

But that's just semantics and I think we sometimes forget that pro sports are inherently dumb. Like, ultimately teams don't need to exist or play or anything. It's all an exhibition that we pay money for.

Whenever a wild card teams wins a championship, I think it's a cause to expand the playoff pool, or at least not further restrict it. If you're the best team, you should win in the playoffs. I accepted that when Seattle goofed the playoffs after winning the 2014 SS.

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

But that's just semantics and I think we sometimes forget that pro sports are inherently dumb. Like, ultimately teams don't need to exist or play or anything. It's all an exhibition that we pay money for.

Whenever a wild card teams wins a championship, I think it's a cause to expand the playoff pool, or at least not further restrict it. If you're the best team, you should win in the playoffs. I accepted that when Seattle goofed the playoffs after winning the 2014 SS.

I agree on the home/road switch for these match ups. If road goals are going to potentially come in to play, I'd like to have my second game on the road to better ascertain exactly what needs to be done. That seems like a decent advantage to me. 

Honestly? I feel like we should let the higher seed choose. Either let them be at home first and rack up the goal differential and have their last away goals be really important, or choose to go on the road first and be able to advance at home. 

I'm neutral on away goals, but I am for keeping them to be consistent with other tournaments. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

20 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Sports leagues are designed to figure out who the best is. If a team that is the 11th or 12th best team out of 20 can become the "champion" after playing badly throughout the vast majority of it before going on a hotstreak at the right time then that's moronic.

24 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

So you want 16/18 teams out of 20? If we expand it even further than the regular season will become even more pointless.

I clearly don't. But I also think the regular season isn't just for playoff seeding. It's also for people to have a nice time watching sports.

I think 6 from each conference is fine. It will be even more fine when this round of expansion is complete.

For right now, I'm the biggest fan of the traditional single table with a home and away against each team. Crown the winner at the end of the season and be done with it t'll get sticky once more teams come, but, still the best way I think. 

Also think more north American League should adopt at least a modified balanced schedule. Especially baseball. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

16 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

For right now, I'm the biggest fan of the traditional single table with a home and away against each team. Crown the winner at the end of the season and be done with it t'll get sticky once more teams come, but, still the best way I think. 

Also think more north American League should adopt at least a modified balanced schedule. Especially baseball. 

I disagree with baseball. Divisional play should come in to play when choosing a champion. Not saying keep separate records like football does, but more divisional matchups in the schedule. For MLB, the divisional matchups are 18 or so against each team in the division. As long as all divisions are equal in number it makes for a pretty even scheduling of games. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I clearly don't. But I also think the regular season isn't just for playoff seeding. It's also for people to have a nice time watching sports.

I think 6 from each conference is fine. It will be even more fine when this round of expansion is complete.

This is just a case of two people seeing things differently so I guess we will agree to disagree I suppose.

As for your second point I can live with 12/24 teams making it after Minnesota, Atlanta, LAFC, and Sacramento/Miami are added.

Archived