North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

Fantastic job TFC. 

A triple for Giovinco too. 

IMO Giovinco has been exactly what the doctor ordered for MLS. A European-quality star in his prime to show the world MLS isn't 100% a retirement league. 

spacer.png

I'm still nervous as can be about playing Montreal but man that was great. 

Cant wait to head to Montreal. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

IMO Giovinco has been exactly what the doctor ordered for MLS. A European-quality star in his prime to show the world MLS isn't 100% a retirement league. 

By defeating the NYCFC's senior citizens no less.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

14 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It might not look okay on television but it's actually pretty good live in person.

I know they are staying at Yankee Stadium at least another two years, any word on a new location for them to build?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

I know they are staying at Yankee Stadium at least another two years, any word on a new location for them to build?

Nope.

Still hearing lots of rumors that they are working on that Long Island City land, but after the Bronx debacle I think they'll keep everything locked down tight until they surprise us with invitations to a groundbreaking.

NYCFC has been prone to blowouts and yesterday was the worst time for one. But as much as you can learn from losing, I hope their supporters see this season as a success. Pirlo and Lampard might be done, but Villa is not and there are pieces to build around (maybe get a keeper first though). What happened to Miix Diskerud?

Here's my rankings of MLS final four members, best case to worst:

1. Seattle. I'm a homer and it'd also be good for the league if one of its marquee franchises gets over the hump.

2. Toronto FC. Kind of a "if you build it they will come" scenario. They invested in players and venue, and deserve to be rewaeded.

3. Montreal. Drogba, if course. Plus Montreal had that awesome run through CCL.

4. Colorado. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

3. Montreal. Drogba, if course. Plus Montreal had that awesome run through CCL.

4. Colorado. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm really torn on Montreal. I usually like the Impact but I really don't want Drogba to hold an MLS Cup after the antics he's pulled.

As for Colorado I really hope Seattle beats them. I don't want them hosting an MLS Cup final and have to hear their fans screaming "Puto!" after every opposition goal kick like they did against the Galaxy. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

FC Dallas was doing that too last night. Seems like it MLS can stamp out YSA, they can get rid of Puto too.

NYCFC fans did it last night as well (and have been doing it for a while). I guess the Red Bull fans deserve props for being the only ones last night, from what I could hear, that didn't chant it.

The main difference between Puto and YSA is that YSA was a thing that only the Supporter Groups did so it was easier for MLS to police it. All they had to do was talk to the leadership and if that didn't work they would take further action. The thing with Puto is that even regular fans chant it so its a lot harder to police. 

The Impact are not just Drogba- in fact at the moment they're a better team without him. I think they have a puncher's chance at winning the whole thing- they are very organised defenders, they pressure the midfield very well and they boot it up to a pretty strong front line- Piatti is one of the best individual talents in the league, Mancosu has built up excellent chemistry with this team already and is a quality finisher, and Oduro may have a lot of flaws but he still can create opportunities with his speed. 

12 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

NYCFC fans did it last night as well (and have been doing it for a while). I guess the Red Bull fans deserve props for being the only ones last night, from what I could hear, that didn't chant it.

The main difference between Puto and YSA is that YSA was a thing that only the Supporter Groups did so it was easier for MLS to police it. All they had to do was talk to the leadership and if that didn't work they would take further action. The thing with Puto is that even regular fans chant it so its a lot harder to police. 

That's an excellent point.   It's a hard thing to stamp out.  I was hoping that the supporters would come up with a replacement that we could popularize, because I think that's the only way to get rid of it.

21 hours ago, DG_Now said:

NYCFC has been prone to blowouts and yesterday was the worst time for one. But as much as you can learn from losing, I hope their supporters see this season as a success. 

Yeah, I think we do.  That was a painful loss, but we've come a long way in a short time.  And I don't think anyone really believed that defense would hold all the way through the MLS Cup Final.

5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That's an excellent point.   It's a hard thing to stamp out.  I was hoping that the supporters would come up with a replacement that we could popularize, because I think that's the only way to get rid of it.

I think that's going to be very hard because North American supporters are not that good at coming with popular & creative chants.

Archived