North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

2- all 3 Canadian MLS clubs should be involved. I'd love them all to have a club to help develop their academy players but that doesn't seem to be in the cards. Apparently TFC won't be allowed to treat this league as a feeder league so it seems it's useless for them to participate at all. That makes me skeptical as to what the goal is of this league. 

3 - DPs.... not sure that's needed. Again. Developing Canadian Soccer, not trying to compete with MLS. 

I actually agree with the people behind the CPL on these two points. The CFL owners aren't doing this solely from the bottom of their hearts to help Canadian Soccer. They also want to make sure they can make some money from this venture. That's going to be harder if you have the MLS teams establishing "2" teams in the top three markets while there is no DP rule to get around the restrictions of a potential salary cap so that they can get good players to bring crowds in.

As for Toronto FC I can see them MAYBE establishing a team in Windsor. All they would have to do is change the team name from Windsor TFC to Windsor FC and maybe make the primary color gray on the jerseys.

8 hours ago, dfwabel said:

$1.5M in US$ is ~$2.009M Canadian.

What does that really buy?

More importantly, what does that buy an English squad?

It said it was a European club not an English squad.

As for what club would be interested it would probably be a club like Celtic. There were heavy rumblings a few months ago of Celtic establishing a team in the NASL so maybe they might figure that the CPL would be more stable and might set up there instead

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

1 hour ago, Nyk33 said:

I actually agree with the people behind the CPL on these two points. The CFL owners aren't doing this solely from the bottom of their hearts to help Canadian Soccer. They also want to make sure they can make some money from this venture. That's going to be harder if you have the MLS teams establishing "2" teams in the top three markets while there is no DP rule to get around the restrictions of a potential salary cap so that they can get good players to bring crowds in.

Fair point.

It's a business, you are right. Obviously that's not what I thought of right away. 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Meanwhile, the Cosmos have decided to host the NASL Final, if they host it, in a 2,100 seat stadium a mile from the nearest subway station because they didn't want to spend "thousands" of dollars on artificial turf for the Coney Island baseball park.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/how-the-cosmos-came-to-choose-belson-for-the-nasl-final-55352/

Very humbling for the mighty Cosmos.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Meanwhile, the Cosmos have decided to host the NASL Final, if they host it, in a 2,100 seat stadium a mile from the nearest subway station because they didn't want to spend "thousands" of dollars on artificial turf for the Coney Island baseball park.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/how-the-cosmos-came-to-choose-belson-for-the-nasl-final-55352/

Very humbling for the mighty Cosmos.

This is a strange coincidence since I just saw a documentary on the modern Cosmos by KICK.

Looks like its going to be an All Canadian Eastern Conference Final.

I didn't expect the Red Bulls to :censored: the bed this hard against Montreal. In a year where championships droughts have been broken, Leicester winning the Premier League, Iceland knocking out England in the Euros, and Donald Trump somehow winning the GOP nomination I figured the Red Bulls title drought would finally be over but I was dead wrong.

6 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

Looks like its going to be an All Canadian Eastern Conference Final.

Toronto still needs to beat NYCFC. Don't want to jinx them...... Or do you? <_<

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Just now, 4_tattoos said:

Toronto still needs to beat NYCFC. Don't want to jinx them...... Or do you? <_<

They are currently up 2-0 and while playoff collapses aren't exactly uncommon in Toronto sports (Maple Leafs-Bruins) I don't see NYCFC winning this one.

Absent the Sounders winning MLS Cup, I can only hope LA Galaxy doesn't. And they won't! I'm happy with all of the remaining teams, even if that means FC Dallas comes back tonight.

An all-Canadian eastern final seemed impossible just two seasons ago. I'm rooting for Toronto, but would easily be happy with NYCFC. The bracket has broken nicely for new blood in the MLS.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I take back my current okayness with NYCFC advancing; I always forget what a disaster their stadium is until I turn on a game. Yikes.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

11 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Absent the Sounders winning MLS Cup, I can only hope LA Galaxy doesn't.

The Rapids eliminated the Galaxy on penalties before the Montreal-NYRB game so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

5 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

The Rapids eliminated the Galaxy on penalties before the Montreal-NYRB game so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Read the next sentence!

17 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Absent the Sounders winning MLS Cup, I can only hope LA Galaxy doesn't. And they won't! I'm happy with all of the remaining teams, even if that means FC Dallas comes back tonight.

Just now, DG_Now said:

Read the next sentence!

Ah.... I missed that, my bad.

That's what I get for glancing through the forums while watching the game at the same time.

Archived