Best & Worst WBC '13 Caps

Serox

Name your personal top 5 & worst 5 WBC caps, based on their logos, colors, everything. (Doesn't have to be in order if you don't want)

BEST:

1. Dominican Republic

2. Mexico

3. Puerto Rico

4. Panama

5. USA

WORST:

1. Thailand

2. Germany

3. New Zealand

4. Great Britain

5. Nicaragua

8000614708_b2ca13f35c_b.jpg

Instead of a top and bottom 5, I listed every logo with my thoughts in two groups, best half and worst half.

Best:

Panama- Gorgeous flowing shape, simple and elegant

Dominican Republic- That is how a baseball cap should look. I think I like the blue bill cap even more.

Australia- A nearly perfect cap. Feels good for the country. Feels like a cap that shows national pride. It's a unique, creative logo with great colors and a flair that still maintains simplicity.

New Zealand- Boring but not bad. There uniforms need more but the simplicity of the cap works, like the White Sox of the WBC

South Africa- Could be more clear but great color use and a traditional style logo

France- Just really love the look of the F

Chinese Taipei- Something about this that I like but it's hard to explain. Just a good design.

Korea- The light blue is quirky but the K is nice. It works for them.

Israel- Creative. Probably needs improvement but a good creative start.

China- Good simple but strong logo with good use of colors.

Germany- I really think the color choices work strongly here. The D is an excellent start.

Phillipines- Maybe the P is too thin, maybe the italics aren't strong... but it's not ugly.

Nicaragua- Not a favorite but I can't hate it. The N is nice and the colors work.

Venezuela- Simple but effective with a touch of style on the shape. Their use of maroon is a plus too.

Worst:

Puerto Rico- Generic, looks like something you'd buy at a gas station in Puerto Rico. Letters also too large

Netherlands- I wanna like this, but the letters are too thick, making it hard to make out. And I think it would look better with a black crown and an orange logo, either with a black bill or an orange one. The orange crown doesn't work.

Thailand- I don't hate the logo but I think it doesn't look so good with a black cap. I don't know what color would be better but it shouldn't be black.

Spain- I like that its just an e but the blocky shape sucks

Great Britain- Hate the oversized blocky, slightly italic letters. They remind of the original Devil Rays wordmarks. Also needs more blue or at least brighten the blue. That navy seems too dark.

Cuba- I wanted to like this one but it's such a generic Word Processor font. Someone opened up a word processor, pressed the C and hit print. That's it. I also hate that Cuba uses more red than blue when if you look at their flag they clearly use more blue than red. I think Cuba should be the blue team, Puerto Rico is the red team.

Colombia- The C is clunky and hard to read. It's almost a lower case E. It's also too closed that it's almost an O or just an oval.

Brazil- Love the colors but the logo is boring.

Czech Republic- Oversized block letters, weird look to me. Why an arch on a cap logo?

Japan- I can't stand that they have a wordmark on their cap instead of a cap logo. That looks so weird to me. It's like they're the only team in the history of the planet without a cap logo. I'd love to see them try a Japanese symbol on there. Why do none of the Asian teams try that? If the German team has a D, the Spanish team has an E, Dominican Republic is RD instead of DR, why can't the Asian teams use Asian characters?

USA-  Its like they tried too hard. Less is more. There's too much going in this one making it hard to make out clearly

Canada- I can imagine people either love this logo or hate it greatly. I think it's like the US in being too messy and hard to read. It took me a while to find that there's a C in there. There use of black is ok when it's not over done. They should be a red and white team based off their beautiful flag but if they're gonna use black it must be limited. The maple leaf is great, the C is not. The ball is hit or miss. This feels like a logo for a Colorado Rockies minor league affiliate.

Mexico- The colors are perfect but the font and 80's block lettering is weird

Italy- A case of being too simple. You could almost say it's tough to prove it's an I, maybe it's just a stick?

For me China's cap is the best.  A beautiful Old English "C".  Can't beat that.  Mexico's cap strongly evokes that country's aesthetic; that's the second best.  The Dominican Republic cap uses the letters well.  I see that around New York quite a bit, along with the less interesting Puerto Rico cap, which I would not rate amongst the best.  (On account of my own ethnicity, I bought an Italy cap, despite its unexcitingness.  They should have used a script letter I, similar to the Cleveland Indians' I logo.)

The worst cap is Japan's.  The full word across the front of the cap is bad design.  And this is surprising from a country with such a long baseball history.  The second worst is the US's cap.  The star clutters up the lettering.

I posted a comment about another hat in another WBC thread.  But I will repeat it here.

Great Britain originally announced a cap design that they never used:

Great-Britain-Baseball.jpg?zoom=1.5&resi

But their actual cap turned out to be this:

great_britain2.jpg

I have no idea why they ditched such a nice interlocking logo.  The interlocking GB logo would put their cap amongst the best.  But, based on the GB logo they are using, the cap is one of the worst.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

For me China's cap is the best.  A beautiful Old English "C".  Can't beat that.  Mexico's cap strongly evokes that country's aesthetic; that's the second best.  The Dominican Republic cap uses the letters well.  I see that around New York quite a bit, along with the less interesting Puerto Rico cap, which I would not rate amongst the best.  (On account of my own ethnicity, I bought an Italy cap, despite its unexcitingness.  They should have used a script letter I, similar to the Cleveland Indians' I logo.)

The worst cap is Japan's.  The full word across the front of the cap is bad design.  And this is surprising from a country with such a long baseball history.  The second worst is the US's cap.  The star clutters up the lettering.

I posted a comment about another hat in another WBC thread.  But I will repeat it here.

Great Britain originally announced a cap design that they never used:

Great-Britain-Baseball.jpg?zoom=1.5&resi

But their actual cap turned out to be this:

great_britain2.jpg

I have no idea why they ditched such a nice interlocking logo.  The interlocking GB logo would put their cap amongst the best.  But, based on the GB logo they are using, the cap is one of the worst.

Thanks for this information.

1 hour ago, jsp34 said:

Korea actually wore this:

We were sponsored by Nike, so New Era never had the legit Korea caps.

s-l1000.jpg

This blue actually makes it look good! Better than the light blue on my picture.

10 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Instead of a top and bottom 5, I listed every logo with my thoughts in two groups, best half and worst half.

That was awesome! Thanks for giving your opinion on all caps.

I'm from PR & I actually don't think our cap is that bad, like some of you say. It might not be the best, but it's far from being the worst.

I like our font, the italic & the beautiful red color. The "PR" looks kinda badass in my opinion.

Australia and Israel are my favorites because they are unique to their particular country using symbols while also including the traditional letter logo, although the yellow bill for Australia is the best. The U.S. and canada try to do this but the execution is horrible. France is beautiful but I like them better in the darker navy blue version. Great Britain original hat is far superior to the one they chose. Mexico is great. I like the Dominican Republic but think it looks even better with a solid blue cap without the red bill, but both are good. New Zealand, Italy, and Panama are all simple but work. Most others are tolerable but some like spain, Thailand, Brazil and japan are just terrible. Netherlands, Germany, South Africa and Venezuela are small tweaks away from being great IMO

I've always loved the Mexico cap, but I've never been able to find one in my size at a good price. I bought a US cap for $5 awhile back even though I'm not a big fan, it was too good of a deal to pass on. None of the rest really stick out to me one way or the other, but I love that Mexico.

Archived