Colorado Rockies

Sport

The Rockies are in need of a rebrand. Their whole package is stale, the logo is dated, their pinstripes are White Sox knockoffs and from any distance you can't tell that purple is even one of their colors, and I think they could execute their awesome name and striking color scheme in a much better way. Let me know what you think!

Primary.png.603c06c11d7b33553062c46d879cCap-Logo.png.223a9b3b52d165e59df2fc2b3b6

Secondary.png.839b6ac66a16fdebaaf4eeefb1

Behance-Presentation2.thumb.png.f1d81139

( Click on the full presentation image and then click "Full Size" and then click the image and youll see it at full size.  )

PvO6ZWJ.png

I like what you've done with the Rockies. The logos evoke the team name far more effectively than the current logos, and the font nicely cleans up the original's aesthetic. Finding ways to present clear keylines is an excellent approach to the logos and fonts, and I think you made it work within the identity. I also like how the cap logo uses the Colorado flag motif (which is a little overdone in some other identities - i.e. Avalanche), but gives it a "Rockies" spin. The uniform template works as well, giving a slightly modern take on a traditional look (placket and arm stouache). I would like it a little more if the mountain striping was more cuff-like (a la the purple/teal/black Diamondbacks alternates), but that's a minor gripe. 

I do find issue with a few things. Namely, the use of purple on both the home and road uniforms. The all-purple cap really should be the home cap (especially given the purple undershirts, belts, and socks), and your home cap should really be the road cap (tying in the purple bill with the purple text on the jersey). I think those changes would really improve the uniforms' cohesiveness. On a larger note of cohesiveness, the purple cap/undershirts/belts/socks should really be on the road uniform too. I dislike when teams flip their color dominance on their home and road sets, but that's more a matter of personal preference. All in all, fantastic work!

27 minutes ago, Jvhn177 said:

The redesign looks pretty good, but I can barely see it, please make larger

sorry. Not used to new board format. Click on the full presentation and then click Full Size and then click the image and youll see it at full size. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is a really nice project. I especially like the mountains on the primary, it worked well for their 20th Anny logo and it works well here too. The sleeve striping is genius, too. Theres a couple things that are bothering me, though. I think it's necessary to have a version of the cap logo with a black C for the purple alt, even though you might need to switch around the outlines. Also, I'm not a fan of the secondary logo. It doesn't say Colorado Rockies to me, it seems pretty generic. Switching out the baseball for the cap logo (maybe the baseball replacing its mountains?) would be a good route to take if you wanted another logo for BP caps. I agree with SFGiants about the cap situation. The purple would be great at home, and the purple and black would be great on the road too, but that's not as big as an issue for me.

If I'm wishing for things, and realistically speaking, a pinstripe home alt designed like your alts would be a nice tie-in to the current set.

spacer.png

All of the logos are fantastic and should be adopted by the Rockies immediately.  Something bugs me about the scripting on the home and away uniforms.  The text is too short and stubby or something.  I can't really place it.  Love the logo package though.

mainescarf.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

sorry. Not used to new board format. Click on the full presentation and then click Full Size and then click the image and youll see it at full size. 

Thanks, I really like the deeper purple, the diamond transitions into the mountains really well, and the cap logo is stellar

On 2/28/2016 at 3:00 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I like what you've done with the Rockies. The logos evoke the team name far more effectively than the current logos, and the font nicely cleans up the original's aesthetic. Finding ways to present clear keylines is an excellent approach to the logos and fonts, and I think you made it work within the identity. I also like how the cap logo uses the Colorado flag motif (which is a little overdone in some other identities - i.e. Avalanche), but gives it a "Rockies" spin. The uniform template works as well, giving a slightly modern take on a traditional look (placket and arm stouache). I would like it a little more if the mountain striping was more cuff-like (a la the purple/teal/black Diamondbacks alternates), but that's a minor gripe. 

I do find issue with a few things. Namely, the use of purple on both the home and road uniforms. The all-purple cap really should be the home cap (especially given the purple undershirts, belts, and socks), and your home cap should really be the road cap (tying in the purple bill with the purple text on the jersey). I think those changes would really improve the uniforms' cohesiveness. On a larger note of cohesiveness, the purple cap/undershirts/belts/socks should really be on the road uniform too. I dislike when teams flip their color dominance on their home and road sets, but that's more a matter of personal preference. All in all, fantastic work!

Thanks for the feedback. When I get home tonight I will try the purple caps with the home uniforms, but I want to keep the distinct home and road looks separate. Personally for me I think using different colors home and road can work for certain teams and the Rockies could be one of those teams. 

On 2/28/2016 at 3:17 PM, dsaline97 said:

This is a really nice project. I especially like the mountains on the primary, it worked well for their 20th Anny logo and it works well here too. The sleeve striping is genius, too. Theres a couple things that are bothering me, though. I think it's necessary to have a version of the cap logo with a black C for the purple alt, even though you might need to switch around the outlines. Also, I'm not a fan of the secondary logo. It doesn't say Colorado Rockies to me, it seems pretty generic. Switching out the baseball for the cap logo (maybe the baseball replacing its mountains?) would be a good route to take if you wanted another logo for BP caps. I agree with SFGiants about the cap situation. The purple would be great at home, and the purple and black would be great on the road too, but that's not as big as an issue for me.

If I'm wishing for things, and realistically speaking, a pinstripe home alt designed like your alts would be a nice tie-in to the current set.

I tried a black version of the cap logo for the purple backgrounds and I didn't like how it looked. I also tried replacing purple with grey in the C and that looked better, but I really wanted to de-emphasize silver/grey in this redesign. I will show that off when I get home tonight as well. 

I also wanted to get away from the current uniform template, which is why I didn't choose pinstripes. I felt like the wordmark fonts being close enough, while bolder was enough of a tie-in with the current set for me. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

51 minutes ago, JMtexan09 said:

how about making it a bit as a home plate or a half of diamond field with "2nd base" as the snow cap? 

Secondary.png.839b6ac66a16fdebaaf4eeefb1

I didn't want to add any bases because I wanted to keep the diamond more ambiguous and less literal. 

11 minutes ago, Canucklehead800 said:

The whole set look really really good. However, your secondary logo looks very similar to this one:http://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/56076371/disp/e82459c6bac8bddbccb18f796390e5bd.gif

Not saying it's a straight rip-off, just that they are really similar

I can say with 100% honesty I have never seen that before. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived