Cosmic

I'm guessing the Canadiens and Senators voted no, thereby hating Canada, because the Nordiques would have 90% to 100% of the same television market (Ontario as far west as Belleville, Quebec, Maritimes). The value of the Nordiques would be in their television deal and how many eyeballs they would reach; those teams wouldn't want those eyeballs on TVA instead of RDS/TSN/SNE.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they don't play much shiny in BC? Without playing shiny, life must get dull.

That was another OITGDNHL moment. Imagine the owner of a baseball expansion team saying "this means a lot because I used to play throw with my dad." You might as well open with "thank you, people of Earth."

6 minutes ago, Corvus said:

Also, looking forward to seeing which team is worse, the 17/18 Canucks or LV Black Knights. 

Probably Canucks. But hey, Las Vegas has lottery for the first 4 years to fall back on because Sunbelt Shiny.

40 minutes ago, the admiral said:

They get automatic lottery picks regardless of finish for four years. The league is letting Las Vegas build a team at a faster pace than Nashville/Atlanta/Minnesota/Columbus because the advances in technology mean more people are watching and more closely (this is actually 100% true). So the implication here is that the team should make the playoffs within its first four seasons but also draft as if missing them. I don't think that's fair, but neither is taking someone's money for an expansion you never intended to give them, so who can say?

I didn't see that. It's offensive on a theoretical level, but does it really matter if they end up with a 1% chance in the lottery?

Does it matter to the teams who drop in the draft order because a team scheduled to draft at, let's say #20 gets to jump to #15? Probably a little. I agree that it's still an issue more of perception than reality, the perception being that the NHL will do anything to strengthen warm-weather teams, but if it's practically inconsequential, why do it?

11 minutes ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

Reminds me of this other face

Leave. Go AWAY. Never come back...

How is this relevant to the NHL thread???

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

42 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

But why does Bettman hate Canada?

There's the real question I have.

He doesn't hate Canada, the other Canadian markets aren't fighting for it and the board LITERALLY hired him to expand the game into new markets. Quebec doesn't fit that. I'm not a huge Bettman fan, but this expansion process and the decision to not do Quebec has more to do with the Board of governors than the Commissioner.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Does it matter to the teams who drop in the draft order because a team scheduled to draft at, let's say #20 gets to jump to #15? Probably a little. I agree that it's still an issue more of perception than reality, the perception being that the NHL will do anything to strengthen warm-weather teams, but if it's practically inconsequential, why do it?

I don't know... maybe the NHL likes to look busy. Why did they bother to raise the odds for the 14th team from .5% to 1%? The best kind of problem to solve is one that never existed in the first place. You can't be proven ineffective later.  I don't really think Vegas is making the playoffs for a while.

A question I would have liked a journalist to ask today (the Montreal Journal writer, bless his heart, was really struggling with his English) was whether deferral of Quebec City's bid rather than rejection meant that the price of expansion the parties agreed to would also be deferred. That really would have made it Gary Bettman Bobblehead Night.

39 minutes ago, NYUNDERDOGS said:

We have gone out of the NHL topic before....

Maybe on slow NHL-news days...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I'm just gonna come out and say it: I'm excited for this expansion. Do I think it will work? Not necessarily. But expansion drafts have always intrigued me, and with the league having some truly stacked rosters, LV won't be total crud their first season. 

I'm substantially less excited about it, though, knowing that the NHL will likely do everyone in its power now to keep Quebec from getting a team via expansion. Quebec City is a great hockey town and it has great fans too. And there's been a lot of talk about Carolina relocating, but I have a friend who's a major Canes fan, so I don't really want to see that happen either. 

Oh well. Guess we've gotta take what we've got for right now. 

Prediciton: LV will be a modest success. It will never be a great hockey town, but it won't be a Coyotes-level failure. 

spacer.png

Archived