Cosmic

15 minutes ago, DarkJourney said:

Secret backroom deal with Quebec to get them the Canes and like admiral said wait around for Seattle to get their ship righted or possibly Houston if Les Alexander suddenly wakes up and likes hockey again. 

Absolutely.  There's no way Quebec City's building, existing fan base, larger population than early 90's, etc aren't fully capable of being one of the top 50% franchises in the league.  Not when the NHL have strung along the likes of the Coyotes, Panthers, & Hurricanes.

btw, QC is no longer bidding for a Winter Olympics, as the arena would've been core to.  Calgary on the other hand is considering another.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, the admiral said:

Oh, and as one final indignity, the NHL lawyers phrased Quebec City's rejection as a "deferral" so that they don't have to refund the deposit on the expansion fee. There is no timeframe for the deferral.

It was never refundable

They get automatic lottery picks regardless of finish for four years.

They are only guaranteed a lottery pick their first season

I'll bet you a chocolate milkshake as many as six of seven Canadian teams voted against expansion to Quebec (Chipman's a bro, he helped Quebecor prepare their bid by giving them access to books and stuff).

Pay up because the vote was unanimous. What else would you like to be wrong about

1zgyd8w.jpg

No, Bettman said guaranteed lottery picks for four years, and there was no mention of a unanimous vote against Quebec, only a unanimous vote for Las Vegas. But keep bringing the smugness!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

When the arena turns 20 and when five years remain on the current lease.

The Hurricanes get all parking revenue from non-NC State events and ad revenue is down. Just book more $hit (or put a winning team out there).

As the team has been on the market for 20+ months and only pays $2.4M/year in rent, with no takers, they aren't great at the business of sport.

It's not even a great arena. It's out in the middle of nowhere, barely within city limits, it's probably too big for NC State and the market in general. 

They haven't been able to sell the team because Son-Hating Pete has insisted upon remaining in control of the team even without majority ownership. Anyone worth a damn sees this is not an ideal investment, but it's to be expected from the NHL's Greek God of Dumb Crap.

1 minute ago, the admiral said:

It's not even a great arena. It's out in the middle of nowhere, barely within city limits, it's probably too big for NC State and the market in general. 

They haven't been able to sell the team because Son-Hating Pete has insisted upon remaining in control of the team even without majority ownership. Anyone worth a damn sees this is not an ideal investment, but it's to be expected from the NHL's Greek God of Dumb Crap.

It's a adjacent to the NC State campus, so it is fine for basketball. Granted, I haven't been there since their heyday, but they lack of corporate season tix holders seem to be the issue.

But LAS may not have that issue for the first 3-5 years depending on the contracts signed.  However, I think year 4 is where the dropoff starts and continues with year 6 renewals. Then the lack of TV $ is given. Heck, will they break ground on a facility tomorrow or Friday, or will Foley play the suburbs for money and operational control on a 24/7 rink?

1 hour ago, 2001mark said:

btw, QC is no longer bidding for a Winter Olympics, as the arena would've been core to.  Calgary on the other hand is considering another.

Hold on, player.

Calgary has some "civic leaders" trying to use the carrot of another Winter Games as the reason to build that gangly fieldhouse idea?

I guess a new airport terminal would be attached as another project too; so "Yea, oil sands!"

I believe Calgary voted no on the gangly fieldhouse and the Flames have moved to an alternative plan. I don't think anyone truly believed there was anything to that whole proposal other than as a starting point to more reasonable negotiations. They'll probably just replace the Saddledome and make some modest renovations to wherever the football team plays. 

2 hours ago, DarkJourney said:

Secret backroom deal with Quebec to get them the Canes and like admiral said wait around for Seattle to get their ship righted or possibly Houston if Les Alexander suddenly wakes up and likes hockey again. 

Seattle is almost as stupid as Vegas, if only because the NHL's board of governors are falling all over themselves for the honor of being 5th (if not 6th, because U-Dub) banana in the nation's 13th largest metro area.

EDIT: :censored: Calgary's new terminal with a rake.  That airport suuuuuucks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, DarkJourney said:

CAR is for sale, so the only back room part is a buying out of the lease or the perils of a team hitting bankruptcy

Screenshot_2016-06-23-21-23-13-1_zpsq0ew

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Hold on, the the $10M was partially refundable. $2M of it wasn't, stated as being earmarked for market research and vetting. The other $8M would be returned to a market not selected, minus any portion used as part of research and vetting.

If I were Quebicor, I'd ask for receipts on any of that 8 not given back.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Stamkos Watch is on with one week to go.  I honestly think a deal will be worked out to remain with the Lightning.

This whole expansion process has escalated the possibility of trading Ben Bishop as we would only protect one goalie.  His potential is very high and so is his value.  He has a no move clause, but can approve trades to certain places.  I have prepared myself for a trade of Bishop, as Vasilevskiy is on his way and may be better in the long run.  TB also has depth at goaltender with Kristers Gudļevskis as a suitable backup and others in the pipe.

If Stammer bails, I know I'd take it rough, but that would just mean more $$$ to keep guys like Kucherov, Johnson, Hedman, etc.

The problem there comes in with that the Lightning, structurally, play a much better game with Bishop in net than Vasilevskiy, because Bishop is a better puck handler than 4/6ths of the current defense corps (Koekkoek replacing Carle full-time might make that number only 3/6, though Carle's utter uselessness is seen more through his crappy reads, positioning, misplays, and skating attributes than his actual puck moving ability from the d-zone) and, though Vasi is by no means bad at moving the puck himself, well, anyone who watched the Conference Final saw just how much more of a difficult time the Lightning had trying to get out of their own zone against what was already the best forechecking team in the NHL this past season. It was a really unfortunate combination of factors that collided there. 

I mean, I'm as optimistic on Vasi's future as anyone, but...you know, at some point, you have to be willing to take the plunge to compete for the Cup, right? I'm not so sure that the Lightning are built to be one of the league's top teams, at least in the immediate future, with Vasi in net rather than Bishop. Bishop held that team together through the first half of 2015-'16. There's a reason he finished #2 in the Vezina race, even if I probably would've rated Crawford and Schneider above him (but we're splitting hairs). 

I think one of the two goaltenders will be moved, and I am almost completely certain that Calgary will be on the other end of it. I've felt that way all along; Rogers' Sportsnet clearly feels that way (dated 4/3), and that's where all the smoke seems to be. Except there's an obvious issue here - disregarding salaries, it would make zero sense for Calgary to acquire a top-flight goaltender if it meant moving either Giordano or Brodie. Obviously not happening. What else isn't happening is moving either Monahan or Gaudreau. The player that I've wanted all along from Calgary that I see as being at-all pry-able? Sam Bennett. Except does anyone rationally think 29-year-old Ben Bishop is going to be a piece that the Flames would move 21-year-old Sam Bennett for? Heavens no. If the Lightning (or just I) want Sam Bennett, that conversation starts (and, for me, ends) with Vasilevskiy going the other way. Otherwise, sure, offer up Ben Bishop to Calgary, hope that Ben is willing to waive his no-movement clause to enable it, something that I'm not sure what reason he has to do in order to go to a team that finished way out of the playoff picture a year ago and has three really good teams in front of them in the division, but I don't really see the fit that Calgary offers the other way, other than, of course, draft picks (...I also don't think Calgary would ever move a #6 overall pick for an almost-30 goaltender; I don't think I'd ever move a high-end 1st rounder for a goaltender outside of Carey Price, frankly, but I somewhat undervalue goaltenders). 

Everything that has happened since Jon Drouin was unable to get his hind skate on the ice has been difficult to want to think about with the Lightning, because I think everyone was aware of the impending salary issues that were going to come about once their season was over. And I don't think Yzerman is going to get every decision right this off-season, either, due simply to the sheer quantity of decisions he has to make. The goaltending situation is the most significant one, however, and regardless of which decision he makes (and I think one truly has to be made, btw, and have said so for quite a while now), ultimately, he has to hope that he made the right choice, because it's not going to be readily apparent until we're much further down the road.

Re: Stamkos - I'm not too optimistic about that one happening, and my viewpoint on that one is really conflicted. On the one hand, I don't think Stamkos, in his current form that he's shown the past two (full) seasons, is worth $10M over eight years, at all. He's not at Anze Kopitar's level; Anze is much better in both possession and in defending his own zone, which makes up for not being as good a pure goal scorer. Giving Stamkos $10M per also further tightens the Lightning's stance against the cap, and Victor Hedman is due up next off-season and I would easily rate Hedman as being more vital to the Lightning long-term than Stamkos, not the least of which being because Hedman has another level he ascends to during the playoffs that I've never seen Stamkos be able to do. OTOH...Ryan Callahan is on the books for $5.8M in cap hits for the next four seasons, and he is also a playoff no-show for the most part (...yes, I know about his recent hip surgery, but explain most of '15 then, or many playoff runs in New York) who posted a total of 27 points all regular season long. I know Callahan excels on the PK and is generally reliable in his own zone...those players aren't worth $5.8M per, and I was always against re-signing him back in the 2014 off-season; I can link proof if needed. Filppula at $5M is also an issue, and no one seems to know just to what extent his NMC is useful; that is, if it's a partial or a full one. It's also highly likely Matt Carle will count against the cap, at a minimum, of $1.83M per from being bought out, and that'll be the best bang for their buck the Lightning ever get out of Matt Carle, too, for that matter. Can't see them finding a taker at his full salary; he, too, has no-movement protection.

So, in an idealistic world, I really would like to keep Stamkos, and it sucks that other salaries to much more disposable players are going to make that neigh impossible. That said? It's hard to see Stamkos justifying that salary he would get, though, who knows, it might also be possible that his production decline is somewhat attributable to the system the Lightning played in this past season, too; lots of players had seeming-down seasons from a points production POV.

spacer.png

It's down to Buffalo, Toronto, and Detroit, right? Probably too hard for him to hide away in Anaheim given their budget. Could Florida pop in?

Archived