Cosmic

I'll tell you what, though, the Coyotes are gonna have one hell of a team. Pronger on D, Datsyuk up front... Hm? What's that? Oh.

Of course it's the damn Coyotes taking the Red Wings problem for absolutely nothing. Screw you Arizona.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does kinda make sense why the Datsyuk cap hit didn't seem to cost Detroit very much to get rid of.  The Coyotes actually have to pay Chris Pronger $525K in salary to get his $4.9M cap number on the books.  "We don't have to pay Datsyuk anything?  AND it's seven million dollars that we can pretend we're spending on the team?!?"  The Coyotes might have been more excited to take on the contract than the Red Wings were to get rid of it.

18 hours ago, Morgo said:

Couldn't be more stoked for the Brian Elliot trade.  Playoffs here we come!

I was very surprised at that trade. At least that it was Elliot who got traded, not Allen... 

The Flames SHOULD be a very good team next year...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

That's pathetic that they relented on Lindros. His biggest contribution to hockey greatness was when he was traded away for being a bitch. He should never be in.

EDIT: lol, post/avatar combination

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I have been following hockey for a relatively short time, but even to me Lindros' induction feels like them trying to console a guy whose career was alright instead of GOAT-like. Am I wrong on this?

spacer.png

I'm totally on board with Lindros in the HHOF, and Makarov too if only for his Soviet career, but Rogie Vachon? Really? 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

31 minutes ago, Crabcake47 said:

I have been following hockey for a relatively short time, but even to me Lindros' induction feels like them trying to console a guy whose career was alright instead of GOAT-like. Am I wrong on this?

Well, not wrong wrong. Lindros had a very good career but fell tremendously short of expectations, however undue one may feel they were. He refused to report to his drafting team not only as a professional but as an amateur; the crap he pulled in Quebec was just a sequel to what he did to Sault Ste. Marie (not to mention the time he sat out a season because the Flyers wouldn't trade him to Toronto in the Godfather Part III of Eric Lindros being a baby). 

Lindros was one of the best players in the world through the mid-to-late '90s and was so in a way that only Lemieux had ever hinted at, but even those six years near the top of the NHL are overshadowed by his off-ice legacy of holding out on his teams and cuckolding his teammates (though to be fair on the latter, it's more like which NHL players don't do that). It's not just that he screwed over the Nordiques the way he did, it's that he ultimately didn't by sending over the embarrassment of riches that turned the eventual Avalanche into a near-dynasty while his Flyers accomplished considerably less. That he would finally get in simply because the tourist attraction otherwise faces a down year leaves a bad taste in my mouth, though surely not as bad as the taste in Rod Brind'Amour's. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You also managed to leave out the whole career-cut-short-by-concussion part of the discussion, but hey, who wants to ruin a narrative.

Why did he "fall tremendously short of expectations?" His career was cut short by concussions.

Why did he stop being one of the best players in the world in the mid-to-late 90s? Concussions.

Yes, his Flyers teams fell short a couple times and yes, there is the whole demanding trades part. But he was also well over a point per game player and won a gold medal with Canada in 2002.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm okay with Lindros' HOF induction.  It was never a slam dunk & he led what seems a less competitive class this year.  I also get the arguments against. 

His is a full hockey career of value rather than merely an NHL one of note.

1.14pts/gm 15th all time.

OHL dominance.

2 World Jr championships.

Olympic silver medalist (amateurs).

NHL Hart, Pearson winner; 6x time all star.

Olympic gold medalist (pros).

To those points, I think his career merits a Hockey HOF place more than say a contemporary like Terrell Davis for the Pro Football HOF who had a smaller window of greatness, without as much amateur acclaim, & the PF HOF's higher bar for invite.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Lindros came with a lot of baggage - notably his parents. Though in hindsight, I blame most of the breakdown on Bobby Clarke, who should have been able to handle Carl Lindros without publicly calling Eric a baby and ripping his family at every opportunity. 

Lindros will always be looked at as someone who fell short. That's what happens when a team (two teams, actually) trade (or thought they traded) the core of a cup winner and millions in cash for your rights and expect you to be "the next one" who is Lemieux but with more of a power game. 

Thing is, while Lindros didn't re-write record books, guys like John LeClair became 50-goal scorers with him in the lineup, and couldn't do anything while he was hurt. And why he was hurt? Well knowing now what we do about concussions, maybe we wouldn't have called him a big :censored: for missing games with "headaches". 

Did he destroy a team by banging other players' wives? Yep. Did he miss games with hangovers, then get reporters not only fired but exiled from town for reporting it (Craig Carten)? Yep. Is he solely blamed for them not winning the cup in '00 (coming back in game 6 only to get blown up by Scott Stevens)? Yep.  Did he miss at least one game because Rick Tocchet punched his lights out? Yep. 

I dont watch hockey anymore, but it was my game back in the late 80s - early 00s. I HATED Eric Lindros. Met him a few times and hated him off the ice too. But with the benefit of age and (arguably) maturity, I have to concede that he didn't deserve the treatment he got, from the fans or management, and the way he elevated and made stars out of other players (while maintaining good stats of his own) should get him in to the hall.  

Considering it's a hall that seemingly has a very low threshold to begin with, it's not hard at all for even the biggest Lindros hater (well, second biggest behind Brind'Amour) to acknowledge him at least on the low end of that group. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Lindros came with a lot of baggage - notably his parents. Though in hindsight, I blame most of the breakdown on Bobby Clarke, who should have been able to handle Carl Lindros without publicly calling Eric a baby and ripping his family at every opportunity.

This from a guy, Bobby, who 'won' the rights to Lindros via pretty greasy scenario itself.  Then again, Bobby Clarke's never been the sharpest crayon in the box before or since.

@2001mark

2 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

This from a guy, Bobby, who 'won' the rights to Lindros via pretty greasy scenario itself.  Then again, Bobby Clarke's never been the sharpest crayon in the box before or since.

How was that greasy? He made a deal to get him. It wasn't his fault the Nordiques tried to trade him again when (what they thought was) a better offer came in an hour later. I guess he "won" via arbitration (I remember being at the jersey shore - like I am right now - listening to the radio when the decision was announced) but it wasn't the Flyers fault it got to that point. Can't trade a guy to two teams. 

Ill give Clarkie (and Ed Snider)  credit - when they decided to get someone, they got him or went down swinging. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Ill give Clarkie (and Ed Snider)  credit - when they decided to get someone, they got him or went down swinging. 

Except the right goalie but let's not go down that rabbit hole.

@2001mark

8 minutes ago, 2001mark said:

Except the right goalie but let's not go down that rabbit hole.

My point still stands. They simply decided that goalies weren't worth anything, until they did, then they got the wrong one - but it was the one they wanted and he wasn't cheap. 

Archived