Cosmic

The funny thing is that in 2011, while the Oil had retained the top pick, the Devils had actually won the draft lottery to move up to 4th to select...... Adam Larsson. So the Oilers had to get a guy that was drafted by the team that won the lottery.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Taylor Hall going to oblivion in NJ... 

Newark and the position the Devils are in now >>>>>>>>>>>> anything in Edmonton. 

#CSGB

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Michal Rozsival is back with the Blackhawks, which I sort of get and don't entirely mind. Brandon Mashinter is as well, which I don't get at all and do entirely mind.

Guys?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Michal Rozsival is back with the Blackhawks, which I sort of get and don't entirely mind. Brandon Mashinter is as well, which I don't get at all and do entirely mind.

Guys?

And hearing that Campbell is all-but-signed. He must be taking a steeeeep discount if the Hawks can even consider Staal. 

19 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yeah, we lost on Stamkos. A born and bred Canadian boy from the GTA didn't want the pressure of actually playing where people care about hockey. Shocker. 

Still? The future looks bright for the Leafs. Brighter than at least two other Canadian teams as of this afternoon. 

Come to Tampa during the regular season for a solid week and you'll learn that the Bay Area is a hockey market and the fans do care. Yes, the media darlings always portray Tampa as "just another sun belt franchise" but what Tampa has is a knowledgeable fanbase.  Our fanbase may be from other places, and yeah we have pockets of opposing fans at game, but that arena is a solid minimum of 80% Bolts Nation.

In speaking about Toronto, I really want them to succeed.  They're an Atlantic division rival that I want to have epic matchups over time, because the way its been recently those games are usually lackluster.  The future is bright there and I look forward to playing the Leafs in the playoffs sometime.

Let me know if you're ever in town for a game, it'd be great to see a game with you.

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

Excuse me?  Come to Tampa during the regular season for a solid week and you'll learn that the Bay Area is a hockey market and the fans do care. Yes, the media darlings always portray Tampa as "just another sun belt franchise" but what Tampa has is a knowledgeable fanbase.  Our fanbase may be from other places, and yeah we have pockets of opposing fans at game, but that arena is a solid minimum of 80% Bolts Nation.

I'll be there for far more than a solid week this upcoming season. So no worries there. 

As far as being "not just another sunbelt market" well yes, Tampa's always been a cut above Arizona, Carolina, and Florida (must be a state name thing). I don't think I've ever seriously suggested moving the Lightning. The league is obviously better for having teams in newer markets, when those markets work. And Tampa is certainly one of those. 

My point, which I got to in detail with Kramerica, is that Stamkos is just the latest high profile Canadian who would rather not play in Canada. 

Tampa's got a healthy fanbase, obviously, but I don't think I'm out of line to suggest that the size of the fanbase, the scrutiny of the media, and the overall pressure to succeed is greater in Toronto.

Our own players shunning our cities because they don't have the mental fortitude to deal with that pressure or that scrutiny is frustrating to see as a Canadian fan. 

2 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

In speaking about Toronto, I really want them to succeed.  They're an Atlantic division rival that I want to have epic matchups over time, because the way its been recently those games are usually lackluster.  The future is bright there and I look forward to playing the Leafs in the playoffs sometime.

I do appreciate that, but all the well wishes in the world don't mean much when our homegrown talent is afraid to actually play here because they can't handle the expectations that they succeed. 

The Leafs have a promising future, but I'm still frustrated that our country's best talent is more interested in playing for Canada every four years then actually playing in Canada regularly. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Guys?

It is always a safe assumption that Adrian Dater is drunk and doesn't know what he's saying. That was the excuse when he was trying to DM his way into sex with a Wings fan, anyway.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Come to Tampa during the regular season for a solid week and you'll learn that the Bay Area is a hockey market and the fans do care. Yes, the media darlings always portray Tampa as "just another sun belt franchise" but what Tampa has is a knowledgeable fanbase.  Our fanbase may be from other places, and yeah we have pockets of opposing fans at game, but that arena is a solid minimum of 80% Bolts Nation.

Let me know if you're ever in town for a game, it'd be great to see a game with you.

SUPER anecdotal, but I was in and around Tampa twice during this season. A week in late December, a week in May. Both times I was impressed by the number of shirts/hats/jerseys I saw around town. So take that for what it's worth which isn't much.

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I do appreciate that, but all the well wishes in the world don't mean much when our homegrown talent is afraid to actually play here because they can't handle the expectations that they succeed.

The Leafs have a promising future, but I'm still frustrated that our country's best talent is more interested in playing for Canada every four years then actually playing in Canada regularly. 

I think it has a lot to do with not wanting to be the one guy to fix Toronto.  Let Toronto show some success and build a foundation, I would think they'd be a better option at that time.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

I think it has a lot to do with not wanting to be the one guy to fix Toronto.  Let Toronto show some success and build a foundation, I would think they'd be a better option at that time.

That's a broken argument though. 

Toronto needs to get good before good players are willing to sign there. 

"Don't worry, Toronto just stop sucking and you have good talent" is circular and just as frustrating as any of this.

Ultimately? Someone will have to be "the" guy to turn the Leafs around, if the team is ultimately going to turn it around. That's just how it works. Be it a free agent signing or a kid who comes up through the system. Someone will eventually have to emerge to be "the" guy. 

You would think that someone like Steven Stamkos, born and raised in the GTA, would jump at the chance to be that guy. 

Except he isn't going to be, because of the reasons covered. 

He doesn't want to be here? Fine. I still think it's incredibly dissapointing to see top-tier talent shun their country's teams because of a reluctance to actually play with a sense responsibility.

"I don't want to win with the Lakers or Yankees," said no one. The two biggest revenue generators in the league, one of which is among the most decorated franchises in all of sports, and they have to beg, borrow, and steal their way to a roster like they're the Oakland A's. Then a guy comes along who does want to commit to a Canadian team, but he's loud, rude, and black, so he gets buried in Hooterville. It sounds like I'm making fun, but nothing about any of this is fun.

Okay. Took some time to let everything sink in.

Seeing Stammer resign made sense. He listened to the other offers on the table and chose the one he felt fit him best instead of signing early and regretting it.

P.K. & Josi together? Holy :censored: , SMASHVILLE! Now if you can get another top 6 forward, you guys might be Cup faves next season as long as Rinne can stay healthy.

As for the Edmonton deal, people need to realize how good Larsson is. The guy averaged over 20 minutes per game last year and was a +15 on one of the worst scoring teams in hockey. He's not a flashy name, but he's a solid #2 D-Man. The Oilers made a fair trade, and who knows? Maybe he'll show more offense in Edmonton's system.

Tomorrow's going to be fun though.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

Did you see Damien Cox lost his job for doing the same thing? No one gets horny on the internet like hockey writers.

In this respect, and this respect only, it's a shame nobody has told Josh Cooper what sex is.

Jim Benning gets fined $50,000 by the league for incomprehensible tampering on Stamkos and Subban, ends up with neither, and gets told by the Vancouver native whose entire career has had talk of coming back home to play "God, no, not this team." All this in a week, and Jim Benning is, at maximum, the 3rd-worst NHL General Manager in Canada.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

He probably has tweeted "god sweetie I just wanna suck your toes so bad right now" when he meant for it to be a DM, but it was directed to Barry Trotz.

Archived