Cosmic

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

P.K. Subban's transformation from "top five offensive defenseman" to "greatest man who ever lived" is getting to be a bit much.

Was he born to give and give and give?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Nothing makes me turn on a player like analytics truthers adopting an All-Star-calibre player as some kind of pet cause. I thank my lucky stars we missed "Unspecified People On Twitter think Wayne Gretzky sucks. Well, I'm here to tell you he doesn't!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought this was a very interesting read, especially since it doesn't rank anything tangible, just how fans percieve other team's front offices:

https://t.co/TbWyrTX530

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Lightning, Predators, and Stars near the top of the list, been there, done that:

On 7/19/2016 at 3:13 PM, the admiral said:

I think my favorite thing about the Hockey Internet w/r/t front offices isn't that they think they're better than the worst general managers, a time-honored tradition of liking sports too much, but rather that they think they're better than the best ones. To hear it from some people, Stan Bowman, Ken Holland, and Peter Chiarelli are all too retarded to put their pants on in the morning, despite successive playoff berths, Final appearances, and Stanley Cups. Jim Nill hasn't done anything but react to other people's bad decisions (forced or unforced) and he's the greatest GM who ever lived. Steve Yzerman's three third rounds and a Final loss in six years are identical to the Rangers' braintrust (in fact, the Rangers had those three in five with no misses), but no one's had a kind word for Glen Sather since he left Edmonton. David Poile's tenure in Nashville predates the iPod, he's never made it out of the second round in such time, and he's a genius because he picked up internet darling P.K. Subban by waiting for a dumb guy to be even dumber. It's like being a virtuoso, but your instrument is the wind chimes.

Islanders moving to the chop shops? I don't like what this means for Honky the Car.

But yeah, this is what should happen. 16,500 in Flushing with no bad seats in the house should be a boon, even if it means losing the $50MM Barclays pays to take a dump on the Islanders or whatever they do to "manage" business operations.

So NBC released it's NHL schedule, and while we didn't learn anything new, there was one fact that stood out to me as an annoyance. They proudly announced that 54 of their 106 NBC/NBCSN broadcasts will feature at least one Western Conference team. Exposure! Yay! While it's no secret about the NBC Seven and that playing in the Eastern time zone is just better for the broadcast time slots, the caveat of "at least one Western Conference team" seemed funny to me. Like they were patting themselves on the back for acknowledging some of the Western Conference exists. So I went for a breakdown of the schedule:

• 106 Games - Total for the NBC/NBCSN schedule
  • 54 Games - at least one Western Conference team
  • 26 Games - two Western Conference teams
  • 13 Games - two non-Chicago Western Conference teams (Blackhawks are featured 21 times in total, the most again.)
  • 6 Games - two non-Chicago or San Jose Western Conference teams. (a.k.a. The games where they can't just steal the Comcast regional feed)

Also, the first game between two non-Chicago or San Jose Western teams isn't until January 8, when Bruce Boudreau makes his return to Anaheim with the Wild.

Again, nothing new, but yes, congrats NBC on featuring at least one Western Conference team in 54 out of 106 games, and at least one Eastern Conference team in 80 of 106.

In the spoilers is the full breakdown of appearances:

Numbers from Puck Daddy's breakdown. The number in parentheses is last season’s total.

PACIFIC DIVISION

Anaheim Ducks: 2 (4)

Arizona Coyotes: 1 (1)

Calgary Flames: 0 (0)

Edmonton Oilers: 0 (1)

Los Angeles Kings: 8 (10)

San Jose Sharks: 11 (11)

Vancouver Canucks: (0) 0

CENTRAL DIVISION

Chicago Blackhawks: 21 (21)

Colorado Avalanche: 9 (12)

Dallas Stars: 4 (4)

Minnesota Wild: 12 (12)

Nashville Predators: 2 (4)

St. Louis Blues: 12 (11)

Winnipeg Jets: 0 (0)

ATLANTIC DIVISION

Boston Bruins: 17 (12)

Buffalo Sabres: 8 (5)

Detroit Red Wings: 13 (16)

Florida Panthers: 1 (1)

Montreal Canadiens: 4 (6)

Ottawa Senators: 0 (0)

Tampa Bay Lightning: 7 (8)

Toronto Maple Leafs: 1 (1)

METROPOLITAN DIVISION

Carolina Hurricanes: 1 (1)

Columbus Blue Jackets: 1 (1)

New Jersey Devils: 1 (1)

New York Islanders: 6 (5)

New York Rangers: 15 (13)

Philadelphia Flyers: 20 (18)

Pittsburgh Penguins: 15 (18)

Washington Capitals: 14 (11)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Islanders moving to the chop shops? I don't like what this means for Honky the Car.

But yeah, this is what should happen. 16,500 in Flushing with no bad seats in the house should be a boon, even if it means losing the $50MM Barclays pays to take a dump on the Islanders or whatever they do to "manage" business operations.

I always thought that the Shea chop shops would be a great place for the Islanders. It's much more accessible for Islanders fans. When I used to live in Suffolk, I'd get home around 10:30-10:45 after Isles games at the Coliseum and around 11:00-11:15 after Mets games. I would've gotten home after midnight taking the train to Barclays. It's also accessible from the city with the 7 train and the LIRR from Penn. Getting to Citi Field from LI via train is a bit of a pain if you don't live on the Port Washington line (it's actually easier to get to Barclays), but I'd imagine most fans would be driving. But the even better part about an Islanders arena near Citi Field is that there wouldn't be room for a soccer stadium there for New York (AL) Football Club Soccer Team FC NY City.

That said, I doubt it will happen.

9 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

So NBC released it's NHL schedule, and while we didn't learn anything new, there was one fact that stood out to me as an annoyance. They proudly announced that 54 of their 106 NBC/NBCSN broadcasts will feature at least one Western Conference team. Exposure! Yay! While it's no secret about the NBC Seven and that playing in the Eastern time zone is just better for the broadcast time slots, the caveat of "at least one Western Conference team" seemed funny to me. Like they were patting themselves on the back for acknowledging some of the Western Conference exists. So I went for a breakdown of the schedule:

• 13 Games - two non-Chicago Western Conference teams (Blackhawks are featured 21 times in total, the most again.)
  • 6 Games - two non-Chicago or San Jose Western Conference teams. (a.k.a. The games where they can't just steal the Comcast regional feed)

Also, the first game between two non-Chicago or San Jose Western teams isn't until January 8, when Bruce Boudreau makes his return to Anaheim with the Wild.

Again, nothing new, but yes, congrats NBC on featuring at least one Western Conference team in 54 out of 106 games, and at least one Eastern Conference team in 80 of 106.

Hide contents

Numbers from Puck Daddy's breakdown. The number in parentheses is last season’s total.

PACIFIC DIVISION

CENTRAL DIVISION

ATLANTIC DIVISION

METROPOLITAN DIVISION

I know it's American broadcasting and this has been brought up before but would it be so bad to put some Canadian teams on?  Looks like once again we'll get "local" coverage of the eastern teams and a whopping 22 games for the Pacific which is shameful. Thank God for CBC and the CSN Portland feed we get here in Seattle. I feel like I'm on an island. 

16 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Reveal hidden contents

PACIFIC DIVISION

CENTRAL DIVISION

ATLANTIC DIVISION

METROPOLITAN DIVISION

Flyers are only on less than the Blackhawks. That means I have to watch them 20 times on NBC. No thanks. Western Conference teams and Canadian teams, want to take about 15 NBC-broadcasted games off of the Flyers hands?

I have accepted that the Preds won't see much national coverage, it is what it is. I didn't expect to see the number of games cut in half, though. Partially due to the playoff run, but mostly because of PK Subban and all the attention the trade got, I figured we'd likely see between 3 to 5. Especially since most US media treated Montreal like the only players were Price and Subban for the last couple of years.

I've got Center Ice, so it doesn't hurt my feelings.

Also, this made me chuckle.

FB_IMG_1469208518947.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

It's for the stuff back in June. I read this as Buffalo bars and hockey players named Kane are apparently not a good mix.

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Especially since most US media treated Montreal like the only players were Price and Subban for the last couple of years.

Hey, with the way we watched the Habs circle the drain without Price this year, maybe they were!

There should be more Canadiens and Maple Leafs games on American television. They should have the opportunity to cultivate massive transnational fanbases the way the Bruins and Blackhawks have been able to in Canada. Forget the Perds.

Center Ice is the best if you have the right television provider. I got hooked in when they offered the season for $50 after the 2012 lockout. If you order it on DirecTV, you get home and road feeds for nearly all games, all in HD. Then we moved out to the suburbs and got stuck with Comcast/Xfinity, because it's basically the only viable option for cable and internet in the vast majority of Chicagoland. For the same price as what I described above from DirecTV, Comcast offers a maximum of 2 games a night in HD. And if the allure of watching most games in letterboxed 480i doesn't pry $160 away from you, Comcast only offers one feed per game, which means you're often in for a world of hurt if you want to watch a game involving Anaheim, Arizona, or Pittsburgh. The company owns the freaking league broadcast rights and does this.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived