Cosmic

I'm going to miss the hell out of Ben Bishop once the time comes to part ways with him, but for all the good news to come out of Tampa the last three days, I just don't see any way back for Bishop long-term at all. 

Hard to really complain, though. Stamkos took a discount and then Hedman did the very same. Can't ask for any better than that.

spacer.png

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the top Canadian unrestricted free agents of 2016, courtesy general-fanager:

Eric Staal Minnesota

Steven Stamkos Tampa Bay

Brian Campbell Chicago

Cam Ward Carolina, inexplicably

Shane Doan

Sam Gagner

Teddy Purcell Los Angeles

Dan Boyle

Dan Hamhuis Dallas

Andrew Ladd Long Island

Kris Versteeg

Willie Mitchell (this guy may retire)

Kyle Quincey

David Jones

David Perron St. Louis

Troy Brouwer - Calgary

Luke Schenn

Brad Richards

How many of those players will elect to sign with a team in Canada? I'll say Hamhuis and Brouwer may sign with Vancouver, and a lot of people seem to think Stamkos will be a Maple Leaf, but if you hopped in a time machine, came back, and told me a big fat zero of the aforementioned players went to one of the made-it-seven, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Also, how in tarnation was Teddy Purcell making as much as or more than like two-thirds of that list?

Well, add Lucic to Edmonton, but so far it's both not looking good for Canada and not looking good for guys who were apparently making more money than Milan Lucic was last year. Who's gonna sign David Jones?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lou and the Toronto media are going to send Auston Matthews screaming into the arms of the Coyotes the moment his ELC is up, and I may never love a hockey thing more.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lamoriello-bonus-policy-makes-matthews-deal-worth-watching/

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've never called a one-year, $700,000 contract catastrophic before, but then my team had never signed Jordin Tootoo before. What an utterly awful signing. Just indefensible. I halfheartedly defended bringing Rozsival back yet again, but not this, never this.

Also, I thought performance bonus schedules were included in all entry-level contracts as part of the entry-level system, not negotiated a la carte, so what we have here is like an unknown unknown of stupidity. Get Lamoriello the hell out of that overcrowded front office before he finds any sharp objects.

7 minutes ago, Kaz said:

Shaw replacement.

Your mom replacement. Shaw is eight and a half years younger and has put up roughly the same career points in roughly half the games played. I know it's fashionable to hate Shaw because he annoys people, looks like a rat, and called some ref a homo, but as far as high-energy bottom-six wingers go, he's a very good one indeed. Tootoo has been hanging in the NHL by a thread for what seems like years, drinking and snorting his way out of Nashville, getting busted down to Grand Rapids with the Wings, and then hanging around with Jersey doing nothing but dressing for games and racking up penalty minutes because their organization has become so bereft of talent that they'll take any warm body they can get. Not only does he add nothing, it's likely he'll subtract. He's a thoroughly terrible hockey player on a team that needs, at the very least, passable ones, and belongs in Rockford as soon as possible. I mean, Jesus, if you want a used-up substance abuser, get Mike Richards! He was really good once!

The Tootoo contract has to be a 2-way, doesn't it? I mean, it has to be there. Jordin can be down in Rockford playing rock-paper-scissors with P-C Labrie to see who gets to punch faces next, and that's fine. But Quenneville's gonna want to put a Tootoo-World's Least Fortunate Center-Mashinter line out one night because "we like that element," and it's gonna end the sport.

Oh, speaking of idiots who hit things, 2 years/$900K AAV on a one-way for Jared Boll to do whatever in Anaheim.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here's all the "confirmed" jerseys of transactions for next year

Update #1.png

Others: 

CBJ : Alex Wennberg changes to #10

FLA : Jared McCann #90

PIT : Lukas Bengtsson #5, Ethan Prow #12

TOR : Frederik Andersen #31

I would do FLA, PIT and TOR but I would need their fonts

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Ugh... Every single Ducks signing has Randy Carlyle written all over it and I hate this.

Sigh... Just win Game 6 or 7 in 2015 and we're not in this mess...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Jared Boll very well might be the worst hockey player in the NHL right now and I'm astonished he got another deal from somebody. Boll brings nothing to the table except the overrated "good in the room" qualities dopes like Randy Carlyle love to bloviate on. Doug Maclean did draft him after all. He was the last GMDM acquired player still playing for the Blue Jackets so the last link is severed. Thank goodness. 

Boll's signature move is to line a guy up for a big check and then completely miss and slam himself into the glass. I'm looking forward to watching him do it for another team. I've always suspected it's hilarious when he's not on your team. I'll be stunned if he's still with the Ducks by season's end, however. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Remember, Randy Carlyle is the coach who needed Colton Orr and Fraser McLaren in the lineup every night. Boll could be on the top line by November.

On 7/1/2016 at 8:48 AM, Coast2CoastAM2006 said:

Which GSW: the ones that won the championship the year before or the ones that gave a 3-1 series lead to the same Cavaliers? 

At this point, I don't think it matters. Our playoff runs are typically so short that even making the Stanley Cup would be an amazing experience.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

The Blackhawks signed Tootoo?  

nAVGEhT.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

18 hours ago, CS85 said:

The Blackhawks signed Tootoo?  

nAVGEhT.gif

I'm not sure what to make of the Hawks next year.  I want to be optimistic, but I feel like they've lost a good chunk of secondary scoring from Shaw and to a lesser extent Teuvo.  Lots of talk about Schmaltz coming in and playing a part.  I do like the idea of Campbell coming back...that gives them 5 defensemen who can can hold their own, plus Rosival in the 6th spot.   

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

I have no idea.  They are in a weird place.  My main issue is that Q gives young guys maybe a few weeks to pan out and if they don't, he'd rather go down fighting with guys like Tootoo.  I love and hate Quenneville, and it's a bizarre time for the Blackhawks overall.

I'm strangely terribly excited for next season.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm just kind of shocked Tootoo is still puttering around the league. It's like that strange, old, distant relation great-uncle you'd forgotten about, and figured had likely passed away.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

2 hours ago, CS85 said:

My main issue is that Q gives young guys maybe a few weeks to pan out and if they don't, he'd rather go down fighting with guys like Tootoo.

This is true, but then he also goes back to what he should have been doing in the first place.

Why can't I type outside this quote box?

Well with a total of zero moves so far this year I know the Bruins will be god awful and I don't even have to attemp to watch any games this year. Which probably means the will start out hot again and then flounder to just barely missing the playoffs and crushing my hopes and dreams again.

Archived