Cosmic

9 minutes ago, chrysleraspen08 said:

Is Kansas City still an option? It's not the greatest market, but would probably be better than 4 or 5 current situations.

Kansas City realized they could make more money by not having a major league tenant in their new arena and just holding events every weekend.  So it's not really an option either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm just hoping Quebec City's REALLY getting a relocation team soon and isn't just gonna be a leverage city for NHL teams to get solid ownership and new arenas built...

bYhYmxh.png

The rumors of Columbus trading the 3rd pick are really starting to annoy me. 

This is a team that reportedly turned down an offer in 2012 from the New York Islanders for the 4th, 34th, 65th, 103rd, 125th & 185th for the 2nd overall pick, Ryan Murray. Do you really think the only European GM in the history of the NHL will pass up picking a two-way forward from his homeland? Puljujarvi could also be moved over to center, a position Columbus desperately needs to fill after Johansen's trade. Seriously makes no sense.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

On 6/17/2016 at 10:17 PM, MBurmy said:

i'm just hoping Quebec City's REALLY getting a relocation team soon and isn't just gonna be a leverage city for NHL teams to get solid ownership and new arenas built...

I gotta say, between Bernie Sanders and expansion to Quebec City, I'm challenging St. Jude as the patron saint of lost causes.

The NHL never wants to go to Canadian cities. They can only be checkmated into doing so. Vancouver was turned down as a 1967 expansion because Toronto claimed it infringed on their territory; I think it took some political sabre-rattling to get them in a couple years later. The league didn't want Quebec City and Winnipeg (or Hartford) in 1979; it took a nationwide boycott of Molson for Jacobs, Wirtz, and the Molsons to let up. They didn't want to be in Calgary until the owner in Atlanta threatened to spill the beans on ownership colluding with union leadership; that shut them up. They didn't want to be in Ottawa, but it was that or Hamilton, and we know how the NHL feels about Hamilton. They didn't want to be in Winnipeg, but David Thomson not only had Bettman cornered with the Phoenix/Atlanta double-bind, he had the old-money Toronto connections to put the NHL's credit in a world of hurt if they did wrong by another old-money Torontonian.

I knew Quebec City was screwed when Bettman or Daly leaked that their expansion options were zero, one, or two franchises. Following in the aforementioned tradition, Quebec thought they had the NHL when Seattle, for whom this dog-and-pony show was designed, tripped over a handful of dicks and couldn't submit an application. When the league effectively said they would rather not award the 32nd franchise at all than be forced by circumstance to give it to Quebec, I had a feeling that was it. When I found out that Jeremy Jacobs was adamantly against Quebec City, and that Quebec had chosen a concessionaire that happened not to be Delaware North, which Jeremy Jacobs happens to own, I knew that was it. 

So it's basically down to Carolina and whether Son-Hating Pete is forced to pull the plug and can't sell to local ownership. I know there are some local investors who came in to buy up Thewes and Rutherford's shares, but I suspect there's no one locally who can buy majority ownership. It could wind up like Nashville or Edmonton, where the league allows a loose consortium of local businessmen to own the team to prevent a relocation. Anything to not be in Canada, and French Canada at that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I knew Quebec City was screwed when Bettman or Daly leaked that their expansion options were zero, one, or two franchises. Following in the aforementioned tradition, Quebec thought they had the NHL when Seattle, for whom this dog-and-pony show was designed, tripped over a handful of dicks and couldn't submit an application. When the league effectively said they would rather not award the 32nd franchise at all than be forced by circumstance to give it to Quebec, I had a feeling that was it. When I found out that Jeremy Jacobs was adamantly against Quebec City, and that Quebec had chosen a concessionaire that happened not to be Delaware North, which Jeremy Jacobs happens to own, I knew that was it. 

Well, it's been years, but it's time to dust this one off again...

*blows off dust*

Q1UZ.jpg

spacer.png

Nationwide Arena, First Niagara Center, Amalie Arena, Rexall Place, and Bridgestone Arena are Delaware North buildings, so rest assured that the most powerful owner in the league will not let your team move, I guess!

Given Jacobs and his company are based in Buffalo, you could argue that he had just as much a say in preventing Hamilton for Nashville as the Leafs and Sabres did.

20 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Nationwide Arena, First Niagara Center, Amalie Arena, Rexall Place, and Bridgestone Arena are Delaware North buildings, so rest assured that the most powerful owner in the league will not let your team move, I guess!

Given Jacobs and his company are based in Buffalo, you could argue that he had just as much a say in preventing Hamilton for Nashville as the Leafs and Sabres did.

You have no idea how happy I was not knowing that until now. Thanks.

spacer.png

That one team's owner controls concessions for one-fifth of the league feels a little Norris House League to me, but if this were the most crooked business deal in the NHL, I'd be ecstatic.

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

That one team's owner controls concessions for one-fifth of the league feels a little Norris House League to me, but if this were the most crooked business deal in the NHL, I'd be ecstatic.

If that were the most crooked business deal Delaware North were involved in, I'd also be ecstatic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/03/21/a-private-company-trademarked-the-phrase-yosemite-national-park-should-the-u-s-pay-to-get-it-back/

On 6/17/2016 at 11:52 PM, TRoyConcepts said:

The rumors of Columbus trading the 3rd pick are really starting to annoy me. 

This is a team that reportedly turned down an offer in 2012 from the New York Islanders for the 4th, 34th, 65th, 103rd, 125th & 185th for the 2nd overall pick, Ryan Murray. Do you really think the only European GM in the history of the NHL will pass up picking a two-way forward from his homeland? Puljujarvi could also be moved over to center, a position Columbus desperately needs to fill after Johansen's trade. Seriously makes no sense.

I'll be stunned if they trade the pick and take anyone other than Pool Party (love this BTW!. It's this year's Ghost Bear). They're just using some gamesmanship and hearing all the offers and doing their due dilligence, which is the smart move. If you come out and adamantly say "we're definitely using the pick" then you're not going to hear any offers. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ron MacLean will replace George Stroumboulopoulos who replaced Ron MacLean on Hockey Night in Canada next season.

And there was much rejoicing.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

^ Thank Christ. Although I don't really care because I quit HNIC because of George S. I'm happy and content with the NHL Center Ice Package I've been getting for the last 2 seasons.

I stopped watching HNIC after over 30 years (starting in early 80s. Back in the days when they wore those baby blue blazers and had Dave Hodge(!)) because of him.

Firstly he has a face for radio not TV. I'm not the greatest looking guy in the World but he made me feel like a young Brad Pitt whenever I look at him.

Secondly his verbal skills are simply awful. He talks too fast. He mumbles and fumbles through his lines. Its been eons since he's worked in this sort of field and he STILL sucks.

Listening him say "Thank You Very Much Mr. Bob Cole" as "ThabnkuveymuchmistBobCole" is pathetic.

Everyone I talked too through the past couple of years do not like him and say the same thing I say. That they quit watching HNIC because of him.

Last year the ratings dropped. They claimed it was because the Leafs suck. Really the Leafs always suck .

The ratings for the playoffs dropped. Again the excuse was because of the Leafs. Really? Even though 5 Canadian teams made the playoffs last year.

This year the ratings dropped Again.

The playoffs ratings dropped even worse. It was because of no Canadian teams right? But the ratings were bad for the Conference finals and finals. Even when Canadian teams make the playoffs they tend to be gone by the third round anyway, so why did the ratings drop for the Conference finals too when last years Conference Finals had no Canadian teams in it?

Maybe the problem lies with the personalities rather than the suckage that is the Leafs.

The Catch of the Day!

Preemptive strike against the near-certainty that this dude was into some dark, dark, Jian Ghomeshi stuff. I'm thinking he made 15-year-olds peg him while he cried and listened to Feist.

Maple Leafs acquire Frederik Andersen from the Ducks for the 30th overall pick this year and their 2nd rounder next year. 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

20 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Well he is a RFA, so that might have played a part in it.

Yeah, but he also immediately signed a five-year deal. They knew what was happening.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No joke... I was humming this in celebration when I read the news here last night.

Also, the Sabres traded for the rights to Jimmy Vesey. They only gave up one of their four third round picks this year, so no big gamble.

Archived