Cosmic

Hall and Yak are gonna have career years and we'll be stuck with whatever Larsson, some ECHL kid and a whatever 2nd rounder. Blah.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cmm said:

Hey, the Islanders won't be on NPR this year! 30 games will be on WFAN (they also have the Devils and Nets) , the other 52 will be on WNYM which apparently exists and airs right-wing talk radio and Syracuse football. Hofstra radio will still be simulcasting in Nassau, as will WRCN in Suffolk.

I still can't remember what station WNYM is every Saturday for Syracuse for my drives home. Now I gotta do the same for the Isles!

(this is still miles ahead of what the Islanders had in place for the longest time)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

Weren't they on WCBS in the playoffs? That would have been a good regular-season home for them. It's a clear channel, and CBS has two newsers in the market so even with the Isles playing on winter evenings there would still be news on 1010 WINS. 

Nighttime coverage for WNYM doesn't look great inasmuch as it doesn't reliably reach Suffolk County but don't lots of east-coast AM stations necessarily have spotty nighttime coverage? There would be so many signals bumping into one another otherwise.

I'm pretty sure they were on WFAN during the playoffs unless the John Sterling-Suzyn Waldman Clown Hour was on, in which case they were moved to WCBS. That might not have been an option here since the Devils and Nets use WCBS as their overflow station when the other is on WFAN.

WRCN should make up for WNYM's weak nighttime signal if it's an issue. When I lived in Suffolk, I got their signal just fine.

12 hours ago, FGM13 said:

Hall and Yak are gonna have career years and we'll be stuck with whatever Larsson, some ECHL kid and a whatever 2nd rounder. Blah.

You also have Connor McDavid.

You'll be okay.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

1 minute ago, Still MIGHTY said:

You also have Connor McDavid.

You'll be okay.

Well yes. It's hard to get too bent out of shape.

We all have fun ripping Chiarelli, but in spite of him, the Oilers look pretty good. Tighten up on allowing goals and you probably have a playoff team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Someone sliced Jonathan Huberdeau's Achilles tendon in the last preseason game; see ya in February.

Ouch... 

I hope this doesn't mean no playoffs for Florida. They do have other talent, but Hubie was a key component. 

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

There's still plenty of scoring talent on the team, but Barkov is an ongoing injury risk unto himself, Luongo could jump the attrition cliff any day, and the Bolts and Sabres were already breathing down their necks. They won't win the division but call it an 85% shot of getting in. Lots of people are calling last year's underlying metrics UNSUSTAINABLE but the year is long since over and all the rosters have changed; there's nothing to be sustained.

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

There's still plenty of scoring talent on the team, but Barkov is an ongoing injury risk unto himself, Luongo could jump the attrition cliff any day, and the Bolts and Sabres were already breathing down their necks. They won't win the division but call it an 85% shot of getting in. Lots of people are calling last year's underlying metrics UNSUSTAINABLE but the year is long since over and all the rosters have changed; there's nothing to be sustained.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/florida-panthers-name-derek-mackenzie-captain/c-282509776

Um. K.

So what? He's a heart-and-soul veteran; I'm sure he has the respect of the locker room. Ekblad is a great young player, but he doesn't need to be Captain Florida so soon. There's a lot of pressure in being Captain Florida.

On 10/9/2016 at 3:06 PM, the admiral said:

So what? He's a heart-and-soul veteran; I'm sure he has the respect of the locker room. Ekblad is a great young player, but he doesn't need to be Captain Florida so soon. There's a lot of pressure in being Captain Florida.

Absolutely. Too many people are on the best player wearing the C bandwagon. Some aren't a great leader, some aren't ready for it, yet. Having a solid veteran with the respect of his teammates and the fanbase wear the C is a wholly viable option. Kids under 21 who are really ready for the letter aren't that common.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Absolutely. Too many people are on the best player wearing the C bandwagon. Some aren't a great leader, some aren't ready for it, yet. Having a solid veteran with the respect of his teammates and the fanbase wear the C is a wholly viable option. Kids under 21 who are really ready for the letter aren't that common.

Just to agree with this - Connor McDavid being given the C when he's 19 years old is nuts. As usual, the Oilers are busy artificially raising expectations, at the needless risk of them imploding right in their faces. McJesus is much better than most and I don't think this will be a problem for him, but there was absolutely no need to do this so soon.

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Just to agree with this - Connor McDavid being given the C when he's 19 years old is nuts. As usual, the Oilers are busy artificially raising expectations, at the needless risk of them imploding right in their faces. McJesus is much better than most and I don't think this will be a problem for him, but there was absolutely no need to do this so soon.

Worked with Crosby. Worked with Toews.

10 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

Worked with Crosby. Worked with Toews.

Making it work is not always the same thing as the kid is ready. There have been examples where young Captains actually prove capable leaders. The majority are propped up by veteran leaders until they learn.

I'm not saying they're wrong for naming McDavid, but how capable is a 19 kid of really leading anything, much less a multi-million dollar hockey machine?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

45 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm not saying they're wrong for naming McDavid, but how capable is a 19 kid of really leading anything, much less a multi-million dollar hockey machine?

With the state of the Oilers organization, I honestly think having a 19 year old captain is the least of their problems.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Making it work is not always the same thing as the kid is ready. There have been examples where young Captains actually prove capable leaders. The majority are propped up by veteran leaders until they learn.

The captaincy is a ceremonial position more than anything, plus he's going to receive most of the attention/praise/blame from the media and fans anyway. I think he's much more capable than some guy like Matt Hendricks.

Here's my hot take: Captains barely matter. At the very least the amount they matter is disproportionate to the amount it's discussed in hockey circles. 

The Oilers giving the C to McDavid is just more of them copying the Penguins model. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived