Miami Marlins rework

davidrpaige

Like most people, I think the Miami Marlins rebrand is pretty close to a hot mess.  They ditched a look that was solid and worked for them and favored a look that made them look like a cheap version of the SF Giants.

Now, while I think the execution of the rebrand was done horribly, I do think there are elements and some concepts that do work.  They needed to blend the old with the new. So I took elements of the new and blended it into the past to, I hope, make a stronger brand.

Let's start with the hat/main logo.

Marlins_Main_zps0zo0tted.png

I simplified the art deco style of the M so that it basically makes 2 Ms (for Miami and Marlins) and ditched the jumping fish.  The fish always threw the hat logo into a lopsided logo that it seemed cleaner to simplify.

Uniforms needed a focus on simplicity and going with the old Teal/Black/Silver color scheme.  I've also added Burnt Orange, the orange they've favored in the rebrand, for a little accent color in the pipping.  This is the Home and Away uniforms:

Marlins%20Home_zpsauiz0bh8.jpgMarlins%20Road_zpsspio5oqc.jpg

I created an alternate throwback uniform that uses the old word mark and the jumping fish logo.  I really embrace the teal and bring back the pinstripes.

Marlins%20throwback_zps9q8cqssb.jpg

Marlins_throwback_teal_zpszsldvdce.png

And finally, I decided to go crazy.  I've created an alternate uniform in which I call "UM Pride" because Marlins Park is built on the site of the old Orange Bowl, which was home to the University of Miami Hurricanes.  This is the one chance to have the Burnt Orange to get a bit more prominence.

Marlins%20Alt%20UM%20Pride_zpsgxsrlqh6.j

So what do you think?  I wanted to get some opinions/feedback before I finish the project.

1 hour ago, Point1 said:

Logo is way too complex, and I think the script on the white should be teal.

Seconding. Too many points on the sunburst; too many rings. Take care of those and you'll be on point.

rATMcmK.png

This is a very nice blend of two distinct eras in the Marlins visual history. I like the very subtle use of orange on the home and road sets. However, I will echo what everyone above has said in that the logo is way too busy.

Aw, I was kinda digging the guady nature of the sun burst logo.  Well, say what you will, it makes a great arm patch.  I'm going to keep the sun burst for an arm patch but I tweaked the main logo to this:

Miami%20Marlins%20main%20logo%20no%20sun

Better?  And this is just a rough piece.  When I finalize I'll be doing a vector version.

So I went back and just tweaked things with the eye on consistency.  Undershirts match the socks, lettering matches lettering on sets.  I even matched the hat logo with the uniform lettering, even though that is not commonly done in other baseball designs.  I just found, for the Marlins look, that it worked well.

Marlins20Home_zpsqyzmbj7h.jpgMarlins20Road_zpshq3p2jur.jpg

The throwback uniform (seen in original post) remains unchanged.

The home alternate is the biggest change I've made to my original concept.  I started to think like a GM/Owner and decided to not issue all new socks, undershirts, jersey, and hat.  I instead focused on issuing a new jersey and hat, which actually sells, and utilize the home understructure, which doesn't sell in MLB stores.  The Hat is an all teal with a white & teal M with silver lining.  This M matches the M used on the jersey lettering, so it maintains a consistency that I was looking to do like the rest of the uniforms.  Outside the teal & white pin striping, it is just like the alternate home jersey the Marlins use now, just with the teal accents.

Marlins_Teal_zpsonyg8qxf.pngMarlins20Alt20South20Beach20Pride_zpsjuc

What do you think of these changes?

Both hats need some orange.

The shoulder patch still isn't fixed.

Wordmark on the white and gray could use some orange.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On May 7, 2016 at 9:09 AM, WSU151 said:

Both hats need some orange...

Wordmark on the white and gray could use some orange.

I was playing around with such a thing when you posted.  Keeping with the orange being only used for trim, I made the wordmarks and hat logo trimmed with orange.  Is it too much?  So the colors would be Marlins Teal, Silver, and Burnt Orange trim.

Marlins20Home20with20orange_zpsxo29stt2.

Ok, did a little more refining.  I focused on the orange just being as "trim" to everything.  Kept some black elements in the logo and wordmarks for legibility, as I found the orange, teal, and silver were blending too much to the eye.  So this is the Home and Away with a cleaned up burnt orange trim.

Marlins%20Home%20with%20orange_zpsaftmmvMarlins%20Road_zpsb0slkfai.jpg

I'm glad you added the orange outline.

This is Miami, it has to be flamboyant.

I personally have nothing against the Marlins logo, it grew on me.

I thought your logo was way too simple, but then again so is 3/4 of MLB's cap logos.

As for uniforms, the ALT and UM Pride are Winners!!!!

(I too say No, to black hats)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The only other option that seems to fly is Silver for the main part of the M, with Burnt Orange for the secondary M, and a black outline to give separation and clarity.

Marlins_Teal_Silver_zpsrsgpyblk.png

It is hard to get a good balance and clarity with an all teal hat!

Archived