Greatest Teams Not To Make it....

Notch Novelty

After watching the 'Behind the Lines' the Championship that never was on the Expos of the early 90's got me thinking about the teams that never made it to the finals how great they were. Injuries or strike that cost the team the chance to make it to the finals.

Here is what I think are the greatest teams not to make it

'94 Montreal Expos (strike season, than trades and free agency)

'99 Buffalo Bills (Music City Miracle)

'95 Indianapolis Colts (INT away from the Super Bowl)

'03 Kansas City Chiefs

'98 Minnesota Vikings (15-1, FG away)

'99/00 Portland Trailblazers (4th Quarter Collaspe)

'02/03 Ottawa Senators

'93 San Fancisco Giants

'91 Pittsburgh Pirates

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My rankings

'94 Montreal Expos (strike season, than trades and free agency)

'98 Minnesota Vikings (15-1, FG away)

'99/00 Portland Trailblazers (4th Quarter Collaspe)

'91 Pittsburgh Pirates

'99 Buffalo Bills (Music City Miracle)

'02/03 Ottawa Senators

'95 Indianapolis Colts (INT away from the Super Bowl)

'03 Kansas City Chiefs

'93 San Fancisco Giants

Oh the 1998 Vikings! I remember that NFC Championship Game. The ONE time Gary Anderson misses a field goal, its was late in the game. Ouch. I'll add some more to this.

1987 49ers who were 13-2 and expected to go to Super Bowl XXII, only to get upset by the upstart Vikings on a soggy wet field in the NFC Divisional Playofs.

1993-94 Red Wings who were expected to just push away that team that just happened to be in the playoffs...the San Jose Sharks. Instead Team Teal shocked the hockey world.

The 1993 SF Giants 103-59 record was not enough to win the West as the Braves went 104-58. One major reason why the Wild Card was implemented in baseball. (Yes I know CC said it before. :P )

It might be a stretch but maybe also the 2003-04 San Jose Sharks. A team that was dead last at the end of October got their $#!znit together and won the Pacific Division, finishing off powerhouses St. Louis and Colorado in 5 and 6 games respectively, only to get shocked by the upstart Calgary Flames in 6 games.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

The 94 Expos were overrated.

The Braves would have overtaken them, and won the series that year. The roster of the 94 Braves and the 95 Wold Champion Braves was markedly similar. The Braves had a bad month in early 94, and had been gaining spots on the Expos. The season ended so early, that the folks who say the Expos got screwed out of a sure division title are fooling themselves. There is no way to tell what would have happened.

Yes, if the season ended the day of the strike, the Expos go to the playoffs. But if they played all the games... ya never know. That Braves team was not shabby.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I would have to add a couple on this list.

1996 Denver Broncos (13-3) They were the team picked to win the Super Bowl going into the playoffs only to have a breakdown and be majorly upset by the "upstart" Jaguars in their first playoff game (Divisional).

2001 Seattle Mariners (100+ Wins) They were the team I thought was going to win the World Series, yet they just had to be upset by the STUPID Yankees.

2003 Tennessee Titans (Wild Card) With "the Man" McNair at the helm, they still lost to New England by only four points.

On a side note, if you think about it properly, Denver could have won 4 straight Super Bowls. 1996 - Upset by Jacksonville, 1997 - Won, 1998 - Won, 1999 - Elway retired, if not for that, they would have been the best team EVER, Davis wouldn't have gotten injured on the Brister INT where Lepsis made the tackle and rolled over Davis' knee and essentially ended his carrer.

The 1976 Pittsburgh Steelers. I hope Tank doesn't mind me quoting him like this:

Playing a tough early schedule the Steelers get off to a rough start losing 4 of their first 5 games. However, down the stretch the Steel curtain defense firmly established itself as the greatest defensive unit of all time during an incredible season ending 9-game winning streak in which they allowed opponents 7 or less points 8 times, including 4 shutouts. Highlighting this run, which helped earn LB Jack Lambert Defensive Player of the Year, were 3 shutouts in a row. Making the 3 straight shutouts more impressive were the week prior and the week following they only allowed just 9 total points. In total during the 9 games winning streak the Steel curtain smothered the other teams allowing just 28 points. In total they allowed 138 points on the season compiling a 10-4 record to capture the AFC Central for the 4th time in 5 years. In the playoff the Steelers continued their domination beating the Colts 40-14 in Baltimore. However, both Franco Harris, and Rocky Bleier who surpassed the 1,000-yard mark during the season were injured and unable to play in the AFC Championship Game. Without Harris and Bleier the Steelers offense drifted as their Championship reign ended with a 24-7 loss to the Raiders in Oakland.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

1986 Chicago Bears - They follow-up the 1985 Championship season with a 14-2 record, and with a statistically better defense than the previous year. Then they go and lose to the Redskins in the playoffs. Aarrrggghhh!

CGP.gif

The 1987 Milwaukee Brewers have to be up there. They won their first thirteen games (an American League record, tied for the MLB record with the 1982 Atlanta Braves), and were 20-3 to start the season. Plus, Paul Molitor hit in 39 consecutive games that year (third-longest hitting streak in MLB history) and Juan Nieves pitched the only no-hitter in franchise history. If not for a 12-game skid in May which dropped them to a 20-15 record, they might have ran away with the whole thing that year...

QPR%20Sig.png

I love hearing about all these teams I'd forgotten or never heard about.

And I love reliving the 98 Vikings choke.

But I think in the truest sense, this topic applies to teams who never got the chance at the postseason....i.e. Expos 94...not those who were just favored and crapped out. (although that's interesting too, keep them coming :D

I will add to this list the 1989 Green Bay Packers. Not a great team (10-6) but a terribly exciting and dangerous one. Came back on N.O. after being down 21 to win. Nearly came back on the LA Rams after being down 31. Got their groove going late in the season and beat the eventual world champion Niners IN Frisco as well as the notorious line of scrimmage game against the Bears. By years end the Pack was believing in themselves, having finished a rare win in Dallas and a dominant (again rare at that time) performance in Soldier field where the team never punted once.

In a season that was NOT strike shortened, they only have themselves to blame for missing the playoffs.....but they were absolutely a team NOBODY wanted to get stuck against if they'd have gotten in. This was (I believe) the last year of only 1 wildcard team per conference.

Their season came down to a Monday night game between Minnesota and Cinncinnati (eventual AFC Superbowl rep) and a horrible non-fumble call cost Cincy the game and GB a Division title.

The progress made that year would be short-lived.........Majik got hurt, and as per usual Infante's system was built for quick, not sustained improvement. It would be another 5-6 years before Green Bay would hire Wolff and Holmgren, trade for Favre and legitimately turn the franchise around.

But for that year.......what a ride. I wish I could've seen some Cardiac Pack playoff action.....they were NEVER out of a game.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived