Debate II: What do you consider a sport?

lopernv

22 hours ago, Needschat said:

I have the same opinion with football, it's not a sport: It's just violence compounded and interrupted by committee meetings.  Sort of like Congress meets playground red Rover.

I don't know why you're getting so offended about folks saying that driving a car isn't a sport.

There are things that are difficult to do.  There are things that you enjoy or are passionate about.  Still doesn't make that thing a sport, though.

Driving a car fast for a long time with no air conditioning doesn't magically make driving a car a sport or an athletic feat.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I don't know why you're getting so offended about folks saying that driving a car isn't a sport.

There are things that are difficult to do.  There are things that you enjoy or are passionate about.  Still doesn't make that thing a sport, though.

Driving a car fast for a long time with no air conditioning doesn't magically make driving a car a sport or an athletic feat.

So a lineman is an athlete and a driver isn't.  Gotcha!  

It's obvious that you've drunk from the NFL's Kool Aide.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

5 hours ago, Needschat said:

So a lineman is an athlete and a driver isn't.  Gotcha!  

It's obvious that you've drunk from the NFL's Kool Aide.  

My thoughts on football being a sport aren't really germane to whether or not driving a car is a sport.  But if you must know....you are correct: Drivers are not performing athletic feats when they're driving a car.  Linemen, for what it's worth, aren't really the "big uglies" like they used to be.  They're more mobile now.  And, good luck winning a battle against them when it comes to pass/run-blocking.  Running a slower 40 and being able to push/block are still more athletic feats than sitting in the car, shifting gears, and pushing pedals.  Hell, I did those three things earlier this afternoon.

If you want to make things personal, at least make it worthwhile and interesting.  Until that happens, I'll stay up here on the high road.

On 8/13/2016 at 8:26 PM, HedleyLamarr said:

My thoughts on football being a sport aren't really germane to whether or not driving a car is a sport.  But if you must know....you are correct: Drivers are not performing athletic feats when they're driving a car.  Linemen, for what it's worth, aren't really the "big uglies" like they used to be.  They're more mobile now.  And, good luck winning a battle against them when it comes to pass/run-blocking.  Running a slower 40 and being able to push/block are still more athletic feats than sitting in the car, shifting gears, and pushing pedals.  Hell, I did those three things earlier this afternoon.

If you want to make things personal, at least make it worthwhile and interesting.  Until that happens, I'll stay up here on the high road.

I would like to know if you've EVER watched a professional race, from start to finish.  On the surface, you're showing you've never seen one, constantly bringing up how you've done exactly what race drivers do.  That's like saying you just played football on the street, so that makes you a professional football player.

Shooting is not a sport and should not be in the Olympics. I get that it requires mental strength and coordination, but I put it up there with NASCAR.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 8/15/2016 at 3:24 PM, Needschat said:

I would like to know if you've EVER watched a professional race, from start to finish.  On the surface, you're showing you've never seen one, constantly bringing up how you've done exactly what race drivers do.  That's like saying you just played football on the street, so that makes you a professional football player.

I used to like Nascar.  I've been to a couple races in Atlanta back when they had the Hooters 500.  I saw Bill Elliott and Davey Allison lose the championship to Kulwicki on the last day of the season.  So I know what I'm talking about.

Stop getting so defensive, dude.  Driving a car is still just driving a car, no matter how fast it is.  There's plenty of things I like that I wouldn't consider sports.

22 hours ago, nash61 said:

Shooting is not a sport and should not be in the Olympics. I get that it requires mental strength and coordination, but I put it up there with NASCAR.

The Olympics has plenty of things that fall under "skill showcase" and aren't really all that athletic, if at all. As long as the equestrian events are still in the games, archery, ping pong and rifle marksmanship all get a pass, with me. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

14 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

I used to like Nascar.  I've been to a couple races in Atlanta back when they had the Hooters 500.  I saw Bill Elliott and Davey Allison lose the championship to Kulwicki on the last day of the season.  So I know what I'm talking about.

Stop getting so defensive, dude.  Driving a car is still just driving a car, no matter how fast it is.  There's plenty of things I like that I wouldn't consider sports.

And football is just an end to gambling.  

It's all in perspective.  But to minimize racing as not a sport because you can drive a car on a street IS like saying baseball isn't a sport because you can hit a ball at the batting cages.  

28 minutes ago, Needschat said:

And football is just an end to gambling.  

It's all in perspective.  But to minimize racing as not a sport because you can drive a car on a street IS like saying baseball isn't a sport because you can hit a ball at the batting cages.  

If a NASCAR driver took three months off, how much decrease would you see in their performance. Minimal, if any. Sure, they might feel a tad rusty the first few laps, or feel more uncomfortable than they remembered the experience being, but driving is a skill showcase, not athletic event.

Any Big 4 player would embarass themselves in a game after taking 3 months off. 

I don't feel driving is a sport, but can respect well-assembled arguments to the contrary. Being a NASCAR driver does not, however, make you an athlete.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

If a NASCAR driver took three months off, how much decrease would you see in their performance. Minimal, if any. Sure, they might feel a tad rusty the first few laps, or feel more uncomfortable than they remembered the experience being, but driving is a skill showcase, not athletic event.

I don't feel driving is a sport, but can respect well-assembled arguments to the contrary. Being a NASCAR driver does not, however, make you an athlete.

Do you not remember Mario Lemieux's return?  

10 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Jeff Gordon has returned to driving Dale Jr.'s car this year after taking roughly 6 months off, and he has struggled to an at best 13th place finish on some of his best tracks, you also seem to be forgetting Michael Jordan who took 2 years off from playing basketball to return and still be the GOAT and win 3 more championships in a row. 

21 hours ago, Needschat said:

Do you not remember Mario Lemieux's return?  

12 hours ago, dont care said:

Jeff Gordon has returned to driving Dale Jr.'s car this year after taking roughly 6 months off, and he has struggled to an at best 13th place finish on some of his best tracks, you also seem to be forgetting Michael Jordan who took 2 years off from playing basketball to return and still be the GOAT and win 3 more championships in a row. 

I meant off from training, not competing. I'm not forgetting Michael or Mario. These guys still trained. 

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I meant off from training, not competing. I'm not forgetting Michael or Mario. These guys still trained. 

Mario didn't retire.  Mario was retired to cancer and back problems.  What training he did was just so he could have good life quality.  

Here's the definition of a sport: "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." By that definition, auto-racing is a sport. Does it involve physical exertion and skill? Yes. Does it involve an individual or team that competes against others for entertainment? Yes. 

The common theme that I've read is basically that auto-racing isn't a sport because you're just driving a car (or motorcycle), which is a ridiculous reasoning, in my opinion. By using that logic, one could argue that walking, or hell, even running isn't a sport. Why do you ask? Well, you're only walking or running. Anybody can do that. 

Of course, that sounds ridiculous because it is. I know the comparison isn't quite there because with walking/running you're using your own power to move. I understand that. That's why I don't necessarily consider all racing drivers to be athletes just because they race professionally, but it's definitely a unique skill set that not everyone can do. Although, when you get into different racing disciplines that can change. I consider all professional motorcycle racers to be athletes because of the immense physical exertion and prowess required to do so at a professional level. However, on the flip side, I don't think drag racers display any athletic ability whatsoever. 

In summary, auto-racing is definitely a sport, but not the same kind of sport as football, soccer, basketball, running, etc. and that's perfectly okay.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Cujo said:

Move over Lumberjack games and World Series of Poker.  Currently on ESPN2, Drone Racing.

I watched this for a solid 20 minutes last night. It was really hard to follow. Looked like a ton of fun to be one of the guys playing ("Pilots" they called them), like a really fun thing to do with a bunch of dudes on like a bachelor party or something, but they went too fast for me to see what was happening. It's like they took a racing video game and made it real. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 13/8/2016 at 9:12 PM, Cujo said:

Get this crap out of the Olympics. This isn't even racing or jumping over props.

And to think the medal goes to the top hat-wearing buffoon, not the horse...

They should keep this event

On the condition the roles were reversed

Archived