Soaring in with the 'Stros!

Before I get into this, I have to mention that I couldn't help but be inspired by @Carolingian Steamroller's Astros set he did in his MLB series, which I thought was pretty fantastic. I tried to stick a little bit more to what the Astros currently wear, but put my own spin on it. Anyways, here it goes!

Logos

Houston Astros Logos.png

-Primary logo stays virtually the same, just with some slight color adjustments.

-Two hats-all navy and all orange-with a star of the opposite color.

-The wordmarks stay the same other than the navy background, in which the colors are reversed. I like it because if feels more space-like (and it matches the other wordmarks.)

-The shooting star from the original Astros set has been added back, with the updated bevel star.

-The streak on each of the alternates is white, with the star being the opposite color of the background.

Uniforms

Houston Astros Home.pngHouston Astros Away.pngHouston Astros Alternate 1.pngHouston Astros Alternate 2.pngHouston Astros Friday Alt.png

-The tequila sunrise side panel, similar to the one on their current alternate, is now present across the board.

-The pattern though gets lighter-shaded as you go down, giving the illusion that everything is going upwards, inspired by the exhaust flames on a rocket.

-The pattern is also present on the pants, creating a unique horizontal striping pattern that no other team uses.

-The same five stripe pattern is present on the socks  as well, completing the whole package.

-Although I really like the lack of an outline in the set that I was inspired by, I decided to keep them just because of the history behind them.

-I absolutely loved @mmejia's thought process in the earlier-mentioned thread that compared the navy to outer space, and the orange/tequila sunrise to fire/propulsion, so I tried to revolve the entire set around that idea and for the most part be more navy-heavy.

-The orange cap and accessories would be used for a home friday alternate, I guess you could market it as "Fire Fridays" or something like that, I don't know haha.

-As a side note, I'm not sure why but the navy alternate is one of the favorites I've made, I just love the contrast of the sunrise to the navy, as well as the white wordmark.

That's what I've got for now, all C+C welcome!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work! I like the idea. Unfortunately, I think the D-Backs turned me off to side panels. ? Though, I think they could work for the alternates. The navy one is beautiful! And I get the whole space thing. Plus, I like the idea of "Fire Friday's"lol. Also, I'm not sure how the piping would be executed in real life. 

Full disclosure: I think I'm still stuck on Carolingian-steamroller's set. 

19 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Good work! I like the idea. Unfortunately, I think the D-Backs turned me off to side panels. ? Though, I think they could work for the alternates. The navy one is beautiful! And I get the whole space thing. Plus, I like the idea of "Fire Friday's"lol. Also, I'm not sure how the piping would be executed in real life. 

Full disclosure: I think I'm still stuck on Carolingian-steamroller's set. 

Thanks! I know side panels are a little unconventional, but I think it works better with the Astros than with Arizona.

20 minutes ago, hokiefan99 said:

I love the use of yellow in the uniforms, I wish more teams would bring out their secondary colors more

Thanks, yea I think it's a good way to further differentiate each team from each other without changing their identities.

Anyone else?

Amazing work on the Astros! The sunrise pattern on the pants piping is inspired.

My only suggestion would be to put something other than the "Astros" wordmark on either alternate 1 or the Friday alternate. It gets a little boring when every option in the set has "Astros" or "Houston" on it.

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Amazing work on the Astros! The sunrise pattern on the pants piping is inspired.

My only suggestion would be to put something other than the "Astros" wordmark on either alternate 1 or the Friday alternate. It gets a little boring when every option in the set has "Astros" or "Houston" on it.

I'm not as much of a fan, but are you saying something like this?

Houston Astros Alternate 1 Proposal.png

12 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at. My only complaint seeing it now is that it's VERY orange. 

Yea. It doesn't really help much, but I added a front number in the post above.

6 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

How about having the orange one say 'HOUSTON?' 

You know, to balance things out.

I had suggested he use a different design or logo since all the other jerseys in the set say either "Astros" or "Houston." 

13 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I had suggested he use a different design or logo since all the other jerseys in the set say either "Astros" or "Houston." 

Yeah, I know. And I thought it was a good idea. But the 'H' didn't work out. So why not switch things up? 

28 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

How about having the orange one say 'HOUSTON?' 

You know, to balance things out.

21 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

19 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

Yeah, I know. And I thought it was a good idea. But the 'H' didn't work out. So why not switch things up? 

To me, I don't know if switching the wordmark to 'Houston' wouldn't really make enough of a difference.. I might just take out the orange jersey altogether or leave it as is.

4 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

To me, I don't know if switching the wordmark to 'Houston' wouldn't really make enough of a difference.. I might just take out the orange jersey altogether or leave it as is.

The only other idea would be to add navy headspoon piping, but then that would make it the only one in the set that has it. Failing that, I'd just go back to the original version. 

30 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Keep it. Especially since you got rid of the Tigers' orange one. 

26 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The only other idea would be to add navy headspoon piping, but then that would make it the only one in the set that has it. Failing that, I'd just go back to the original version. 

1 minute ago, Paul Lucas said:

Keep it. Especially since you got rid of the Tigers' orange one. 

I had the idea of putting the star streak that is on the other jerseys on it, streaking across the jersey to the H-star, a very basketball jersey type element. However, the H-star is too big relative to the rest of the jersey.

Archived