50 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I like the first...it's more 'Indians.' It's reminiscent of the 90's Tribe.

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like the second far more than the first, if only because navy pants and a cap with piping are a little more adventurous (at least, for post 1920's baseball). It also is one less uniform with the "Indians" name, and minimizing the name would be an excellent direction to take.

45 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I like both, but I would have to see both alternates alongside the rest of the options.

Since I'm not getting very many replies, might as well make that happen @coco1997, haha here is the Land!

It seems like recently Cleveland has been going for a throwback feel but yet still trying to look cool with their uniforms, as evidenced by the new stirrups a lot of their players wear. For that reason, I decided to go with the second alternate for now to up the ante on the throwback vibe for the set. Anyways, let's get into it:

Logos

Cleveland Indians Logos.png

-The block C tends to look kind of plain when paired with modern uniform elements. To reverse that, I made the block C the centerpiece of a very throwback set that takes back to 1900's Cleveland baseball. I feel like this is something Cleveland can embrace, and the team can market really well.

-On that same note, there is no Chief Wahoo to be seen in the identity, not only because of the inherent racist and controversial tones it brings, but also because I simply don't like it as a logo. As @SFGiants58 mentioned, minimizing the Indians name and imagery as much as possible is the direction I wanted to take, and in its place is a very throwback set that hopefully still retains Cleveland's integrity.

-Three different hats, all with the block C, and one of them white with vertical stripes for the alternates.

-Home wordmark is now the block wordmark from the cream jersey, to blend with the throwback feel.

-Road stays the same, both alternates feature the block C, one pinstriped, one navy.

Uniforms

Cleveland Indians Home.pngCleveland Indians Away.pngCleveland Indians Home Alternate.pngCleveland Indians Away Alternate.png

-Home remains basically the same, just with the replaced wordmark & block C on the cap. I really like the red accessories at home/navy on the road the Indians introduced recently.

-Away is unchanged, since it is based off of road uniforms of Cleveland's past.

-The home alternate is based off of Cleveland's home uniform from the late 1910's, and is colored cream to give an old-timey feel. The 3 stripes are kept on the socks, but are colored white to match. There is no name on the back of either alternate.

-The away alternate is all navy, based off of their 1902 road uniform. The socks are an invert of the home alternates, in order to end the monochrome at the socks, and simply because I think it looks cool. White belt and piping to match the hat.

-As a side note, I also considered a red alternate, maybe if I chose the other navy jersey. If you guys want to see that, let me know.

Although I wish Cleveland would pretty much completely rebrand, I tried to make due with what I had. Of course, as always, please comment anything you think about these, or anything else!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful work. I LOVE the home and road alternates. Very different from any other Cleveland concepts I've seen on this forum. Plus, the AL Central needs another pinstriped team since you removed them from the White Sox.

I don't think you need the red alternate, especially since your Twins set has one. I always hate watching Minnesota and Cleveland games where they both look like the same team.

3 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Beautiful work. I LOVE the home and road alternates. Very different from any other Cleveland concepts I've seen on this forum. Plus, the AL Central needs another pinstriped team since you removed them from the White Sox.

I don't think you need the red alternate, especially since your Twins set has one. I always hate watching Minnesota and Cleveland games where they both look like the same team.

Thanks!

And yea, that was pretty much the reason I didn't add it in.

Anyone else?

5 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

But, in a vacuum, the alternates could have easily been the White Sox's.

..Except that the alternates are based on actual uniforms the Indians wore in the early 1900s. The White Sox haven't used a "C" as their primary logo since the early 1910's.

5 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

..Except that the alternates are based on actual uniforms the Indians wore in the early 1900s. The White Sox haven't used a "C" as their primary logo since the early 1910's.

You might as well call them the "Bluebirds" or the "Naps." I don't know, they look great....but there's so many other signature looks for them...especially with red in it. It's just my humble opinion. 

28 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

You might as well call them the "Bluebirds" or the "Naps." I don't know, they look great....but there's so many other signature looks for them...especially with red in it. It's just my humble opinion. 

I can see where you're coming from, but considering both designs are alternates, they would probably only be worn a few times a week, tops.

28 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

23 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I kind of had a feeling this set would come with a little controversy... Which is fine, of course. I can agree with both sides, where I was quite hesitant to have two alternates without red in them, but that they had that throwback feel that I really like. I will say though, that was part of the intention, for me at least, to further from the Indians name, because I didn't feel like I could do the 90's (the only other direction I feel I could have taken them... as it's the only other era really traceable on their current set) any justice without Chief Wahoo, which was something I was never going to consider putting in the identity. Idk... Does anybody have any ideas as to what to do with the alternates?

30 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Does anybody have any ideas as to what to do with the alternates?

You could try working some red into them. For instance, I could easily see the "C" on the road alternate being red (and for that matter the back numbers) with maybe a white outline. That way it's clearly a callback to those early 1900s unis but uses all of their current colors.

Having said that, I do like the elegant simplicity of just the navy and white.

And then for the home alternate, just do the reverse--keep the navy pinstripes but use a red "C" and back numbers with a navy outline. I think it could turn out pretty well!

Or keep the "C" and back numbers navy and add a red outline, similar to the road jersey. Either would look good, IMO.

46 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

You could try working some red into them. For instance, I could easily see the "C" on the road alternate being red (and for that matter the back numbers) with maybe a white outline. That way it's clearly a callback to those early 1900s unis but uses all of their current colors.

Having said that, I do like the elegant simplicity of just the navy and white.

20 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

And then for the home alternate, just do the reverse--keep the navy pinstripes but use a red "C" and back numbers with a navy outline. I think it could turn out pretty well!

Or keep the "C" and back numbers navy and add a red outline, similar to the road jersey. Either would look good, IMO.

Here is a look at some added red. I decided to reserve the outlines for now, since the block C doesn't have an outline anywhere else. I tend to like the cleanness of the navy and white, but maybe you all will like these better.

Cleveland Indians Home Alternate Proposal.pngCleveland Indians Away Alternate Proposal.png

8 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Here is a look at some added red. I decided to reserve the outlines for now, since the block C doesn't have an outline anywhere else. I tend to like the cleanness of the navy and white, but maybe you all will like these better.

Cleveland Indians Home Alternate Proposal.pngCleveland Indians Away Alternate Proposal.png

I like it. No white socks for Cleveland, lol.

58 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I like it. No white socks for Cleveland, lol.

Fair enough?

7 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

You doing the Rockies tonight? ?

I think they're ready, but I might just wait it out for hopefully a few more comments on Cleveland...

38 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

If you're not going to use outlines on the alts, then this is probably the best they could have turned out. Well done!

Thanks! And yea I probably want to refrain from using the outlines on the block C just for the sake of consistency.

Archived