Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

On 12/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, OnWis97 said:

I don't know whether there was a connection but some in Minnesota were melting down that the one with green had a resemblance (if you really wanted to see it, which they did) to some subdivision in Somalia. 

See, my first thought was Timberwolves Palestine, and a lot of people don't want to associate themselves with the Timberwolves.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 4 months later...

Minnesota officially adopted their new state flag today, on it's 166th birthday! 

This flag has grown on me so much over the last couple of months, so much in fact, that I designed a couple of jerseys to match that actually got produced! 

Spoiler

• Like 5

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 3 months later...

Illinois is getting in on this racket now. Looking forward to how a bunch of stripes and triangles all come together to represent a state that has nothing in common with itself.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

Illinois is getting in on this racket now. Looking forward to how a bunch of stripes and triangles all come together to represent a state that has nothing in common with itself.

They just just use their Centennial flag

thoughts-on-making-the-illinois-centenni

There are 21 stars because Illinois is the 21st state 😎 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Just throw a Lincoln stovepipe hat on top of the Willis Tower on top of one of the Cahokia mounds and call it a day.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

I feel like that's gotta be close to whatever we have now.

Illinois doesn't have a statewide identity, which is to be expected when about 65% of the population lives in 7% of the area, which I have to believe is one of the more wackadoodle urban-rural splits in the country. When the point of these exercises is to sell coffee cups and stocking caps, that's kind of a problem. The Chicago flag already occupies that consumer bandwidth. 

Now that Libya's not using the all-green flag anymore, I say it's ours. It represents soybeans. Lots and lots of soybeans.

• Like 1

A dude named Jeremy Glover posted this as an Illinois state flag concept over on Xwitter:

To be honest, the idea of those is a lot nicer than I think many probably would have thought of for a state that, as mentioned above, "has nothing in common with itself" (which genuinely elicited a healthy guffaw from me, especially since I've covered dang near every square cornfield mile of that state from South Beloit clear down to Cairo and...that's about the most accurate assessment one could have conjured). Perhaps the orange could be brighter--shoot, so could the navy--but the general idea of it is pretty nice. Maybe he could flip the orange and navy so the orange elicits more of a "sunscape" to the navy's "horizon in shadow". Do that with the stars in the top left and I think he might be onto something.

This also showed up on Reddit (prepare your eyes for it, though):

Just gonna leave that there for ya...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It should be the centennial flag, it looks great and actually has history behind it

The above flags/most of the proposals probably are just "sunsets, wow!" which everyone and their dog has already done

• Like 3

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

undefined

Even Cook County has its own graphic-designer-consensus flag now: it's the Chicago River surrounded by forest preserves and the stars represent various blocs of suburbs. Then again, there are more of us in Cook County than there are in like half the states. 

Those colors are just... garish?

Also, rivers have tributaries. The merging rivers seem like the visual equivalent of 'capital region' and 'tri-state area' which can apply to any endless array of metropolitan areas in the country. It's trying to be unique but is failing badly.

The colors are 10% of all Tampa Bay Rays concepts ever made here. 

The Y for a river actually is locally relevant, it's based on the Municipal Device, which represents the Chicago River and is kind of the city's alternate/shoulder logo:

imagesmuni-device.jpg

The problem with the flag, then, is that what they've actually done is create a second flag for Chicago, which is about all you could do for an assignment like this, anyway. It's too hard to do an abstract representation of Cook County. A quarter of the the county didn't even want to be in it anymore until it became unfashionable to vote Republican.

My Cook County flag would just be that second page of the ballot where you're voting for like 60 different Irish judges. That's what represents us: endless referenda on people named Shannon Callahan and Colleen Shanahan.

• Like 3

On 8/29/2024 at 4:29 PM, LMU said:

Just throw a Lincoln stovepipe hat on top of the Willis Tower on top of one of the Cahokia mounds and call it a day.

Nah, just throw a stovepipe hat on Mike Ditka and make that the Illinois state flag.

rAUPGPZ.png

Here's my Illinois flag submission, for whatever it's worth:

csp4upnrh0nd1.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

Always love it when orange and blue compliment each other. I assume the science "branch" on the right represents the Manhattan Project?

What represents what:
- blue on each side: Mississippi River & Lake Michigan
- orange on left: sunset over plains
- light blue on right: Chicago flag nod
- wheat round arch left: state agriculture
- science flower arch right: overall nod to state's innovations in science, computation, medicine, and research. The USB symbol and molecular structure have no further meaning beyond simple representations of the aforementioned subjects.

There's a lot about this flag that is still needing cleanup, making things a tad more arranged and original (the Lincoln is from his penny illustration and the wheat sprig is borrowed from some old art; ideally it would be a stalk of corn).

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

5 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

Always love it when orange and blue compliment each other. I assume the science "branch" on the right represents the Manhattan Project?

I was thinking Fermilab, which, by the way, looks very strange from the air.

Nice work on this. I like it because it's not what most of these new flags set out to do: it's a seal on a sheet, but relevantly updated.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Nice work on this. I like it because it's not what most of these new flags set out to do: it's a seal on a sheet, but relevantly updated.

Seconded. I like it a lot.

It is what it is.