Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

On 7/2/2023 at 1:02 PM, Foxxtrot44 said:

Aww look, those two flags got together and made a baby!
Flag_of_Ogden,_Utah.svg

That's the winner of the Ogden city flag do-over.
Here's what it beat. One of these is genuinely great and I cant believe it didn't win.
https://www.ogdencity.com/DocumentCenter/View/23741/02-07-23-WS-Flag-Design

Looks like a logo of an airliner

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2023 at 4:27 PM, SFGiants58 said:

The Milwaukee People’s Flag is the most egregious offender in this regard. It looks like it was meant for merchandise and not much else.

spacer.png

It’s very much a product of bourgeois white Milwaukee, which happened to be where I hung out the most in the city when I lived there. It also is way too similar to Reno’s actual flag (in the same “merch” style).

spacer.png

The “merch” style of flag very much misunderstands the historical circumstances behind the DC/Chicago/Southwestern flags, leading to an artificial sameness.

Wasn't Reno's flag designed after Milwaukee's... which was the reason for the controversy?

I'd probably agree with the "bourgeois white Milwaukee" comment if I hadn't been around enough to know that's not true. At least not anymore, as that may have been who was behind it at first. But I'm honestly shocked at how many people from different walks of life have embraced the people's flag, or how many places I've seen the people's flag where you never saw the city flag before.

Not saying it would have been my first choice of a design, but at this point there's no denying its place as a prominent Milwaukee symbol. I see it as often as I see the Brewers glove and the Summerfest smile.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 1:14 PM, MilSox said:

Wasn't Reno's flag designed after Milwaukee's... which was the reason for the controversy?

Ah yes, my mistake.

On 8/8/2023 at 1:14 PM, MilSox said:

I'd probably agree with the "bourgeois white Milwaukee" comment if I hadn't been around enough to know that's not true. At least not anymore, as that may have been who was behind it at first. But I'm honestly shocked at how many people from different walks of life have embraced the people's flag, or how many places I've seen the people's flag where you never saw the city flag before.

Yeah, perhaps I was a little too hasty in bringing up Milwaukee's various demographic splits. Even though I was last in Milwaukee four years ago, it was kind of remarkable to see how much the People's Flag had penetrated spaces where there was no city flag before. Admittedly, I saw it most in the Lakefront/Third Ward/Brady Street/Fiserv Forum areas, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had penetrated into other districts after I moved. I may not be the most keen on it, but it does have some genuine resonance with people beyond a "merch symbol."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

All of his flag concepts have been phenomenal, but this one by Minnesota-based logo and brand designer Allan Peters has been by far my favorite proposal I've seen. Excellent blend of unique Minnesota symbolism, vibrant colors, and traditional flag elements.

https://dribbble.com/shots/22944646-Minnesota-State-Flag-Redesign-Option-1

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

I appreciate those trying to incorporate the loon somehow. Be kinda funny to see one of those choices make it into the final few for serious consideration. 

Also a fine chuckle to the one that submitted "bayg" with a plastic bag on it. Now that's someone we got the assignment!

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

On 11/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, the admiral said:

The blue represents not talking to people you didn't go to K-12 with and the green also represents not talking to people you didn't go to K-12 with.

Funnily enough, the blue and yellow on Indiana's flag represents the same exact thing.

rAUPGPZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

Appears to be the short list of finalists. 

A lot of Milwaukee-design core ones here, which is predictable but still disappointing.

I like the top left one a lot, especially compared to the rest of the bunch. I’ve never seen a shape like that on a flag before, so that’s the clear winner. 

I could live with second from left in the middle row, and the far right one at least looks like no other flag I’ve seen, so that could work as well. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

19 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

Here's the final six flags under consideration for the new Minnesota state flag.

They’re here! See final 6 design candidates for new Minnesota state flag | MPR News

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

a49e67-20231121-a-flag-with-a-star-1-web

fea7e0-20231121-a-flag-with-a-star-and-s

0768c6-20231121-a-flag-with-the-north-st

No dog flag is an absolute crime.

That being said, I have to agree with @Germanshepherd on this one. The third flag, with what I assume to be a river, would be very unique and a welcome sight.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, BrySmalls said:

Here's the final six flags under consideration for the new Minnesota state flag.

They’re here! See final 6 design candidates for new Minnesota state flag | MPR News

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

a49e67-20231121-a-flag-with-a-star-1-web

fea7e0-20231121-a-flag-with-a-star-and-s

0768c6-20231121-a-flag-with-the-north-st

Number 5 here would be my preferred winner. Disappointed but not surprised that none of the Nordic Cross options advanced. As @Germanshepherd said, lots of Milwaukee-esque designs here.

• Like 2

1, 3, and 5 are excellent. Would be very pleased with any of those three options. 1 I think is my pick for favorite, but they're all very close in quality. Sad to see none of Allan Peters' submissions earned final consideration, but regardless Minnesota is gonna end up with an excellent flag.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns