Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

The North Star-Snowflake flag seems to be the committees favorite, and I think it’s ok, along with the green wave and North Star. The rest are not great, and it really sucks that they didn’t have the North Star Flag that Lee Harold supported in the final round…

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 3 weeks later...

Well :censored: I guess X is being a headcase again 

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-final-state-flag-design-north-star/600328485/

Here’s an article with the winning design concept and potential designs. 

Solid design, especially state flag wise, but easily one of the most boring potential options.

If they were gonna go this route they should have just adopted the Lee Harold flag. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

There were some others early on that I liked better but when the final six were announced, this was probably the best one.

I really don't like the white being at the top...I hope it ends up in the middle. Overall it's been pretty disappointing. The state pulled the old "your reward is the exposure" thing and then seemed to rush through the process.  The state seal ended up being really nice, in my opinion. The flag redesign is kind of working out like a less-successful version of Utah's change.

There have been times I've suspected that the group (I really don't know who they are) is "throwing" the process with the objective of keeping the same flag. That's not what I think happened, but I do think they should have slowed it down at some point.

Despite the arguments a couple of pages ago, I generally favor separating ourselves from the other blue / seal flags and am glad something is happening.  As a bonus the same crowd of people who adopted William McKinley as their favorite president a few years ago is suddenly really attached to our "blah" flag. It's fun seeing them melt down over something they don't actually care about.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Beyond disappointed. Why is it so bland? Was there something wrong with the tricolor? Why would you want the colors to just be blue? Step up from the old flag, but not enough of one compared to other submissions. Additionally, it sounds like the new state seal is going to have to be redone, prolonging this even more.

It's...fine.

If they just came out with this from the jump I'd be more enthused. It'd easily be in the upper half of state flag designs.

But the fact that they showed us so many better options makes the final product reek of design from committee. Kind of hard to get jazzed up about this, which makes me wonder if it will even pass.

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I don't know whether there was a connection but some in Minnesota were melting down that the one with green had a resemblance (if you really wanted to see it, which they did) to some subdivision in Somalia. 

I think it'll probably pass the legislature, though if the GOP members hear enough about how woke it is to change the flag, I suppose this could go in the direction of a straight party vote. The Dems have both houses but I could see a few citing the process or the fact that one party should not make the decision. So it's not 100%.

• Yawn 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

11 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

The dark blue part is subtly the shape of Minnesota. That’s actually pretty good. 

I think there was consideration for an asymmetrical one that had the "point" lower to look a bit more like the state. I'm glad they went this way...I prefer the subtlety with more of a conventional "flag" look.

I'm starting to warm up to it, though seeing it match with the other state flags, I do think the version with the green stripe would have set it apart better.

• Like 1

POTD (Shared)

The new Minnesota flag is really growing on me! I really like both the star shape, and the subtle Minnesota state shape in the navy blue. The Dakota/Nordic/Barn Star, is really nice, especially since the same shape adorns the floor of the capitol, under the dome. 

While I also would have liked to have some green, and I liked the tricolor design, this double blue look feels like a lake color scheme, and I think it works really, really well. 

I also probably would have preferred other designs, like the North Star Flag, but this is good enough, and follows both solid flag design, and it’s both unique and instantly recognizable. And even though there are many people who currently would just rather have the seal on the flag, I think everyone is going to love it in a couple of years. 

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

9 hours ago, burgundy said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer the solid light blue field in place of the tricolor. I think it allows the abstracted state shape to stand out better. The tricolor feels like two flags mashed together.

I agree, I think in the end the right call was made on the solid light blue. The new flag when hung vertically also looks like headwaters below the north star. Ultimately the flag is bold, uncluttered and versatile which should help it stand up long term.

• Like 1

This really helped reconcile me to no green on the flag:

But Kaye said the green didn't work because it was too dark and didn't contrast enough with the dark blue on the left.

He also thought the green of forests and rural areas it was celebrating wasn't unique to Minnesota.

"Although Minnesotans love their verdant nature, it is not distinctive for Minnesota; nearly every state has green nature," said Kaye, who lives in Oregon.

The state name means water, we're known for our lakes and rivers, the Mississippi starts here: Minnesota is distinct because of its water, not its vegetation.

I'm glad they went with a less is more approach. I agree that will help it age better, and I think in a few years it will be more widely and enthusiastically appreciated, especially once flags start popping up and people see them in the real world. Just look at the Twins; there was some criticism at first that the rebrand was overly simplistic, but a year later most people agree they look great.

• Like 2