Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

On 8/19/2020 at 5:12 PM, Pharos04 said:

Flags-1170x585.jpg

Kind of glad the upper right one didn't make the cut, because it was sort of, "Hey! We just annexed Alabama, most of Georgia and the Florida Gulf Coast"

It is what it is.

7 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Looks like they made the right choice and went with the magnolia flag. It will be on the ballot in November. It's a top tier US state flag IMO. Drop the words and it could be battling it out for second place. New Mexico rules all other state flags of course.

Hot take when Colorado exists.

• Like 1

I'm not as keen on Arizona's flag. There's too much bleeding of the colors for me to like it. Also, the copper star is near-invisible on a lot of applications. I'd rank my top five as:

1. New Mexico

2. Colorado

3. Tennessee

4. Maryland

5. South Carolina

HM: Texas, Hawaii, Arizona, or Alaska (depends on the day)

@SFGiants58 I agree about Arizona. It gets a little cluttered up by the color scheme... The star should definitely be white. 

My top 5 are 

1. New Mexico- It’s simple and meaningful. Beautiful. 

2. South Carolina- A little bit of a bias after spending a lot of time here, but I love that a simple design can still reflect nature so realistically. 

3. Alaska- A clever design for the northern-most state. 

4. Colorado- Just aesthetically pleasing, and if course, the C makes sense lol. 

5. Ohio- Just fun and unique, and also a lot better than other states in the Union. 

Others would definitely include Arizona, Tennessee, Maryland, California, and even Arkansas. I know it breaks good rules, with it saying Arkansas, but I think it’s just a nice looking flag all around. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I couldn't say for certain, but my Top 5 is probably this, unordered: Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, California, Alaska. Honorable mention to DC, as well.

Maryland's flag would be great if it wasn't for the fact that the Crossland Banner was used by Maryland Confederates, and it's also ugly as sin. A focus on the Calvert banner, the gold and black diagonal pattern, would be the direction to go in. I wish so many states would overhaul their flags, there's so much potential to be had.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

So as mentioned, the New Magnolia flag was chosen as the option on the ballot in Mississippi.  But it looks like some modifications took place such as widening the red sections, made the gold borders thicker, and made the text bolder

1920px-Flag_of_Mississippi_%22New_Magnolia_Flag%22.svg.png

I think it certainly helps a bit.  I still like the inclusion of the Choctaw star but man, that text just hurts the overall design.  Still, clearly better than a Civil War relic in the corner or just the "State Seal on Blue" which also happens to be a Civil War relic in design.

On the topic of top state flags, back in 2001 NAVA did a survey for the top State/Province/Territory flags and the top 5 ranked as:

1. New Mexico
  2. Texas
  3. Quebec
  4. Maryland
  5. Alaska

While the bottom 5, to no one's real surprise at the time, were all State Seal on Blue
72. Georgia (prior to their next flag change which took place in 2003)

71. Nebraska

70. Montana

69. Kansas

68. South Dakota

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, Pharos04 said:

On the topic of top state flags, back in 2001 NAVA did a survey for the top State/Province/Territory flags and the top 5 ranked as:

1. New Mexico
  2. Texas
  3. Quebec
  4. Maryland
  5. Alaska

Quebec is miles ahead of Texas and New Mexico. Who has ever gotten passionate about the New Mexican flag, anyway? And Alaska doesn't even belong in the conversation! 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

Late like Kanye here, but I really feel like they missed a golden opportunity to really stand out and forever press forward a fresh new image of Mississippi. (And trust me, I know the history well, haing grown up barely two hours from there.) Of the original nine finalists, the middle-bottom one really showed the most potential to be super-distinctive--but then, why should we designer types expect bureaucrats in suits to know what unique and distinctive flag design looks like? That said, given that it looks as if they were benchmarking the great seal of the US, the winner was definitely the best of what was left.

Now, since we're still having fun with flags up in here, can we (re)do South Dakota's next? Because um uh....

valley-forge-flag-house-flags-sd3-64_100

...yyyeah.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

I know it's South Dakota, but having "The Mount Rushmore State" on your flag isn't doing your state any favors.

Boy what you said!

(And plus, once one learns the history behind Mount Rushmore in the first place--not to mention the Black Hills in general--one maaaayyyy not be so quick to tout that about so freely.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||