Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

On 9/21/2018 at 5:30 AM, n312rb said:

Can't go wrong with a bear splitting an atom on your flag:

Zeheleznogorsk, Russia

600px-Flag_of_Zheleznogorsk.svg.png

I want a Springfield Isotopes shirt with that logo. 

• Like 1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• 3 months later...

I attended the Gold Cup games in Charlotte yesterday (Canada-Cuba and Martinique-Mexico) and noticed that Martinique was introduced with a new flag - some graphics used this new flag, while some used the blue one with four snakes.

I remembered this today and checked it out - apparently a new flag was introduced last month:

New:

5tcbvwdiecy21.jpg

Old:

640px-Snake_Flag_of_Martinique.svg.png

A new flag and hymn* to be used for "sports, cultural, and international events" according to this link. This was apparently done, in part, due to the association of the "snake flag" with the Atlantic slave trade and colonialism.

FWIW, I think the "snake flag" looks better but understand the reasoning behind the change.

*Interestingly, "La Marseillaise" was still played during the anthems.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I think the Martinique flag just goes half a step too far; I think it's a little busy with the middle circle and the stars switching colors. I'd do a green circle around the blue conch, and then blue stars.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, SFGiants58 said:

Hello Young Sapien, the flag of the infamous Aum Shinrikyo death cult was a good-looking banner.

Jp_aunshinrikyo_logo_flag.gif

As as far as cult flags go, it’s better than the Branch Davidian one.

rz0f6alo9xc11.jpg

The sperm eel (or serpent/snake) really nails it. Yes, that terrible phrasing was intentional.

the sprement

When I was in the Milwaukee area last year, I went shopping at a Pick 'N Save and came upon this...

zprfeoN.jpg

The brewing company is using the city flag for one of their beers. Thought it was a cool find.

• Like 1

Isn't it also cool how Wisconsin doesn't trifle with arcane liquor laws and just loads up the grocery stores with alcohol? People from other parts of the country are surprised sometimes, but they shouldn't be, because, well, Wisconsin.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

39 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Isn't it also cool how Wisconsin doesn't trifle with arcane liquor laws and just loads up the grocery stores with alcohol? People from other parts of the country are surprised sometimes, but they shouldn't be, because, well, Wisconsin.

You should see California then.  We have at least two different chains of supermarket-sized "beverage" stores in my area.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

Yeah, Binny's Beverage Depot is our big one; they've killed just about every old-fashioned strip-mall liquor store within each respective blast radius.

2 hours ago, Mockba said:

Really, it's only the weirdly-prudish places like Minnesota that obsess over when/where booze can be sold.

Growing up in Minnesota, I didn’t realize until last year how uptight Minnesota is, and how relaxed everyone else is. I work at a grocery store in South Carolina right now, and there are alcohol displays EVERYWHERE in the store. (It’s honestly a little too much, but...)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

When I moved out to San Diego, I went to the grocery store the first night I was here.  When I saw the rack of craft beer bombers, I thought to myself that I now live in a civilized place.

• Like 1

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

4 hours ago, Mockba said:

Really, it's only the weirdly-prudish places like Minnesota that obsess over when/where booze can be sold.

Also Washington.

A fond memory from college was the LMU band splitting up and sprinting through downtown Spokane getting our supply of booze and mixers before the state-run liquor stores closed down at 7:30 PM (and the underage guy hiding behind my tall frame so he wouldn't be carded as part of our group).

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

19 hours ago, Mockba said:

14 hours ago, LMU said:

Also Washington.

Scandinavians are torn between two lovers: drinking lots of alcohol, and following intricate sets of rules.

• Like 3

On 7/19/2019 at 11:15 PM, chcarlson23 said:

Growing up in Minnesota, I didn’t realize until last year how uptight Minnesota is, and how relaxed everyone else is. I work at a grocery store in South Carolina right now, and there are alcohol displays EVERYWHERE in the store. (It’s honestly a little too much, but...)

South Carolina... is relaxed... about alcohol laws?

It's been within the decade that alcohol sales were legal in restaurants on Sunday, at least in the county I lived in. I still don't think it's possible anywhere in the state to buy hard liquor (and only available at liquor stores) on Sunday, and it varies county-to-county and/or city-to-city whether beer and wine are available on Sunday.

Unless you work in Charleston (or possibly Columbia) where things are a little more relaxed, I wholeheartedly disagree.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png