Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

12 hours ago, Buc said:

That is the same dude who had the new Tappan Zee Bridge renamed, is it not?

He replaced the Tappan Zee with a new bridge that improves on the old one by not being in imminent danger of falling into the Hudson River, rammed it through while ignoring recommendations that it include much-needed tracks for Metro North that would have actually alleviated traffic, and named it after his dad.

So this is basically the vexillological equivalent of that.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

More on the Juneteeth flag:

The star

200618134331-20200618-juneteenth-flag-st

The white star in the center of the flag has a dual meaning, Haith said.
For one, it represents Texas, the Lone Star State. It was in Galveston in 1865 where Union soldiers informed the country's last remaining enslaved people that, under the Emancipation Proclamation issued two years earlier, they were free.
But the star also goes beyond Texas, representing the freedom of African Americans in all 50 states.

The burst

200618134444-20200618-juneteenth-flag-bu

The bursting outline around the star is inspired by a nova, a term that astronomers use to mean a new star.
On the Juneteenth flag, this represents a new beginning for the African Americans of Galveston and throughout the land.

The arc

200618134509-20200618-juneteenth-flag-ar

The curve that extends across the width of the flag represents a new horizon: the opportunities and promise that lay ahead for black Americans.

The colors

200618134536-20200618-juneteenth-flag-fu

The red, white and blue represents the American flag, a reminder that slaves and their descendants were and are Americans.
June 19, 1865, represents the day that enslaved black people in Galveston, Texas, became Americans under the law.
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 2 weeks later...

Mississippi retired its flag, to be replaced with one that doesn't have a symbol of the Confederacy. I've been critical of what I've seen as empty gestures, but this is not one of those, this is actually fixing something broken. 

I did see that the new design has to include "In God We Trust" on it, but I guess you had to do something to get it through. 

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, the admiral said:

Mississippi retired its flag, to be replaced with one that doesn't have a symbol of the Confederacy. I've been critical of what I've seen as empty gestures, but this is not one of those, this is actually fixing something broken. 

I did see that the new design has to include "In God We Trust" on it, but I guess you had to do something to get it through. 

Something with river imagery would be a good start.  I found this from a site article from 2015.

Jacob_Owens_flag_design_t670.jpg?b3f6a5d

"To describe its symbolism, the 21 stars are there to represent the 21 known tribes native to Mississippi. There are 19 full waving stripes, representing the mighty waters of the Mississippi River as well as our Gulf Coast. The one red stripe is a nod to the original Magnolia Flag and when added to the 19 stripes adjacent, they represent Mississippi as the 20th state."

I was always partial to this design from 2001

220px-Flag_of_Mississippi_%282001_propos

keeps the basic shape and style but replaces the battle flag with the circle of stars

The outer ring of 13 stars would represent the original Thirteen Colonies, the ring of six stars would represent the six nations that have had sovereignty over Mississippi Territory (various Native American nations as a collective nation, French Empire, Spanish Empire, Great Britain, the United States, and the Confederacy), and the inner and slightly larger star would represent Mississippi itself. The 20 stars would also represent Mississippi's status as the 20th member of the United States.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Something with river imagery would be a good start.  I found this from a site article from 2015.

Jacob_Owens_flag_design_t670.jpg?b3f6a5d

Needs stripes

Nah but really, this is nearly giving me vertigo.

I

21 minutes ago, -kj said:

Lower left.  Ship it.

I rather like lower right with the "wavy river," but either one would be terrific.

• Like 1

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

23 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

I've never seen a Juneteenth flag with the date before.

I hadn't either. My Google search for the flag gave me 3 options; Straight border between red and blue without a date, Curved border between red and blue without a date, and Curved border between red and blue with a date. I chose the last one because it was the one that was shown as a flag most often. The first two options were mostly just illustrations. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't a search of your own might better show what I'm referring to.

I really hate that "In God We Trust" is even in consideration for something to put on a state flag. Separation of church and state, and all that.

This is probably my favorite design thus far. I really hope they double down on the magnolia imagery and don't do some design-by-committee BS.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

I really hate that "In God We Trust" is even in consideration for something to put on a state flag. Separation of church and state, and all that.

This is probably my favorite design thus far. I really hope they double down on the magnolia imagery and don't do some design-by-committee BS.

that part is going to be a matter for the courts if it is going to be on there.  

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.

On 6/29/2020 at 5:32 AM, Dynasty said:

I'm hoping it's something that will stand out compared to the other state flags (no blue flag with a seal).

It probably won't.

Since it's required to have "In God We Trust" I wouldn't look for it to be any good. Best we can hope for I think is that they don't pull a Georgia and try to adopt another Confederate Flag in place of the battle flag. 

Honestly I'll be shocked if they don't go with the Bicentennial flag seeing as its the one they're already unofficially using now that the old flag was finally taken out behind the woodshed. It's boring but not blue field with seal boring at least. And it has the In God We Trust.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...