Fun With Flags!!!!

Sport

26 minutes ago, Falcoholik said:

spacer.pngSo here are the 9 finalists. I like top middle. 

Bottom-middle  probably has the simplest design that's easily replicated.
middle-middle and middle-right utilize the shape of the state which is overly complex
middle-left and bottom-left have extremely detailed magnolias.
top-right and bottom-right are the same flag in different colors.  Reminds me of the finalists in NZ's flag that were the same flag with different colors.
top-left reminds me of a Merchant Marine flag for some reason.
top-middle isn't bad, i like the colors but again, the magnolia feels way too detailed for easily replication.

they boxed themselves in with having to include "In God We Trust".  They claim they were working alongside NAVA with how flags should be designed...and then chose finalists that violate most of the basic guidelines: No Text, No Maps, Easily Replicated by child...
https://nava.org/good-flag-bad-flag/

I want to like bottom-middle, but something about the colors and balance is off for me. Top-middle is my favorite, that splash of gold just makes it pop for me. It's stupid to have "In God We Trust" on the flag, but I'll take it since it meant replacing their old flag. I would've taken "state seal on blue field" over their old one, but the fact that it will most likely look good is reassuring. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

Top middle or bottom left seem like the best of a bad bunch, though I could get behind the idea of the bottom middle with some tweaked execution.

34 minutes ago, QCS said:

It's stupid to have "In God We Trust" on the flag

Yes.  Yes it is.

• Like 3

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

8 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Okay, why does "In God We Trust" need to be on the flag?

Because it's Mississippi and this was their compromise for getting rid of the literal Confederate battle flag on the old one.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, QCS said:

Because it's Mississippi and this was their compromise for getting rid of the literal Confederate battle flag on the old one.

Well, that’s the Deep South for you and the desire to keep “tradition” when said tradition is actively harmful.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Falcoholik said:

spacer.pngSo here are the 9 finalists. I like top middle. 

Upper-right or center-left, I'd like having a verdant flag somewhere in the agricultural South.

"In God We Trust" is a tolerable compromise. It's already in the vocabulary. It's not like it had to be "Praise Jesus" or "Abortion Is Murder."

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Upper-right or center-left, I'd like having a verdant flag somewhere in the agricultural South.

"In God We Trust" is a tolerable compromise. It's already in the vocabulary. It's not like it had to be "Praise Jesus" or "Abortion Is Murder."

Plus, it is, somehow, the official US motto

14 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

Plus, it is, somehow, the official US motto

Replacing the much more fitting "E Pluribus Unum" in the '50s because we had to be the good Christians facing those evil godless Commies. It can still be found on the Great Seal of the US and on coins. There's a motto I wouldn't mind on flags, it's awesome and perfectly fitting for America.

• Like 4

I like the top left flag. I really enjoy that American shield and star above. The water shape for the Mississippi is also clever. It does break the rules of no text on the flag, but I don’t mind it actually...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Of those five, bottom left is my favorite, followed by top left. I don't care for the top right, the bottom middle's asymmetry bothers me, and the bottom right is too complex, just a magnolia flower will get the point across better,

While they've not shown any sense through most of this process, I'm hoping they'll choose the flag with the magnolia on it and not the generic US shield on a plain background.

• Like 1

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.