MLB Tweaks and Expansion Made in Paint (Portland Thorns 36/36)

Victormrey

27 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The camo set is really nice and much more tasteful than what they currently wear. Navy camo probably makes more sense, but the desert camo colors fit with their identity better and I'm loving the camo stripes on the stirrups!

The Navy is on the verge of dumping the digital blue camo (NWU type I), that's why he went the Marine route. 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Giants are the next (apart from the Rays, which are already done). This what I've thought for them:

-Home uniform: same than the current, dropping the gold shadow from the wordmark.

-Road uniform: keeping the design, but using the "SF" monogram from the alt uni.

-Home alt uniform: like the home, same design than the current, but using white instead of gold for the wordmark.

-Alt/Special uniform: black design, featuring "Giants" or maybe "San Francisco" in the Metallica font, which was one of the very first Thrash Metal bands (music genre which I really like), and which is very related to the city of San Francisco and the Bay Area. Actually, the band has performed at some Giants games.

What do you guys think?

The white pants definitely look better with that yellow alternate.

24 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

So, the Giants are the next (apart from the Rays, which are already done). This what I've thought for them:

-Home uniform: same than the current, dropping the gold shadow from the wordmark.

-Road uniform: keeping the design, but using the "SF" monogram from the alt uni.

-Home alt uniform: like the home, same design than the current, but using white instead of gold for the wordmark.

-Alt/Special uniform: black design, featuring "Giants" or maybe "San Francisco" in the Metallica font, which was one of the very first Thrash Metal bands (music genre which I really like), and which is very related to the city of San Francisco and the Bay Area. Actually, the band has performed at some Giants games.

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a good recipe for the Giants.

For the Metallica alt, will you be using black lettering with orange trim on a black uniform? I'm normally not a fan of this look but I think in this instance it would work.

37 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The white pants definitely look better with that yellow alternate.

Sounds like a good recipe for the Giants.

For the Metallica alt, will you be using black lettering with orange trim on a black uniform? I'm normally not a fan of this look but I think in this instance it would work.

Yes, I was thinking on using that style for the script. As you said, I think it'd work for this case.

A lot to like on that Padres set. I really like how the alts turned out and the road uniform especially.

One question I have is with the double piping. Just like the current road (and previous home) you have piping around the collar that is the same color as the base layer. It's a pet peeve of mine so you're under no obligation to change it. 

21 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

A lot to like on that Padres set. I really like how the alts turned out and the road uniform especially.

One question I have is with the double piping. Just like the current road (and previous home) you have piping around the collar that is the same color as the base layer. It's a pet peeve of mine so you're under no obligation to change it. 

3 minutes ago, Paul Lucas said:

I don't understand what you mean.

I think he means that given the trim is in the same colour than the baselayer, the double piping wouldn't be really visible in-game (am I right?). But even so, I'd like to keep it, thinking on the players who don't use visible baselayers and the fans in general.

2 hours ago, ahowe6464 said:

Yellow + Home, Brown + Road looks great. Swinging Friar patch on the brown alt needs an outline though. Other than that this set is one of my favorites so far.

Thank you very much! I originally tried to create an outline for the Friar patch but I didn't manage to do it (that's why it doesn't feature it). I'll keep on trying though.

"Save the Mantaray!"

Along with the Astros, the Tampa Bay Rays were my very first MLB tweak. I took their current style, mixing it with the gradient originally used by the team in 1998:

Tampa Bay Rays Home Uniform.pngTampa Bay Rays Road Uniform 2.pngTampa Bay Rays Alt Uniform.png

You can find the original post and ideas here:

Apart from these, inspired by my Pirates sleeve-less uniform, I went nuts and designed this:

Tampa Bay Rays Home Alt Uniform.png

10 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Loving that home alt! Rays pitchers would probably have an advantage because opposing hitters would be very disoriented at home plate. :D

Well, the soccer GK's from the 90's used flashy colours and crazy designs (supposedly) to distract rival strikers, so why not using the same tactic in baseball? :P

7 minutes ago, ahowe6464 said:

You've posted that Rays set somewhere else, right? It looks familiar. 

It still looks just as great. The sleeveless alternate is oddly gorgeous.

Yep! You can find the link to the original post in the latest one.

About the sleeveless uni, so weird it's good, right? :lol:

32 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Really looking forward to the Giants, especially the Metallica alt!

I'll be starting the designs tomorrow. But I have already started with the script for the Metallica alt:

San Francisco Giants Metallica Script.png

What do you think? I'm not sure about it, the S looks weird to me.

Archived