MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

Now have we all tried to "fix" these yet? In truth, the home jersey isn't ugly. I think most of us can live with that PadreS wordmark. All that jersey really needs is the wordmark and sleeve patch outlined in yellow and the piping to be the double navy and gold piping on the 2016 jersey and suddenly they're on to something. They're not that far away from being nice with that jersey. It's really just the boring colors. Add in yellow or even orange or back to sand but damn it's like white is literally one of their colors. That shouldn't be.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Don't the O'Malleys own the Padres now? Are they going for blue/white austerity because they miss owning the Dodgers and think it's wise to market the Padres as indistinguishable from the Dodgers?

Actually, appropriately, the Padres have two owners. One is the O'Malley kids, who are the primary owners, but there's also Ron Fowler, who helped grease the wheels after the league rejected Jeff Moorad's bid. He's the chairman and it is believed that he's the one pushing blue. 

I totally get the point of how the Padres current uniforms can be "fixed" with tweaks, etc. But I can't fathom how an organization ignores, what seems to me is, the elephant in the room and the most obvious strategic direction. I really think the problem lies in the ownership's inability to separate their personal color preferences vs. what might be best in the long-term interest of the brand and how to develop it. Call me nuts but if they go classic/retro/vintage with the swingin' friar and brown lids, every kid south of LA would be hitting their parents up for $35 and a trip to the mall for a new cap.

8 minutes ago, ToyFrisbee said:

I totally get the point of how the Padres current uniforms can be "fixed" with tweaks, etc. But I can't fathom how an organization ignores, what seems to me is, the elephant in the room and the most obvious strategic direction. I really think the problem lies in the ownership's inability to separate their personal color preferences vs. what might be best in the long-term interest of the brand and how to develop it. Call me nuts but if they go classic/retro/vintage with the swingin' friar and brown lids, every kid south of LA would be hitting their parents up for $35 and a trip to the mall for a new cap.

I think you might be overestimating how much of a role nostalgia plays in brown's popularity.

Anyone under the age of 25 has only ever known blue.

EDIT: i've been quoted so i'll leave it but i meant UNDERestimating

2 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

I think you might be overestimating how much of a role nostalgia plays in brown's popularity.

Anyone under the age of 25 has only ever known blue.

Good point. I think it's also fair to say there are ways for the Padres to be a navy blue team and still look good and maintain a solid identity but they just haven't done so. Brown is what many of us on here want but brown is absolutely NOT the only right answer to fixing the Padres. A coherent organization can make a blue Padres identity work... but we're all still waiting and are apparently gonna be waiting even longer now.

19 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Well the cap logo on the jersey to start. But this was never a long term uni. They announced last year it was a one year only uniform for the ASG.

That is true, but look at the Royals, their gold jerseys was a hit among fans (and us here on the forum) so they added a new jersey that resembles it. If that Padres 2016 season jersey was a hit among SD fans, then they should have kept it. They could have looked at sales numbers and had a fan poll on the team website.

4 minutes ago, ToyFrisbee said:

I don't think it can be fixed with tweaks anymore. They've tweaked the tweaks of tweaks for 12 years now. Rip it up and start over! Sure, go with brown and yellow (I've realized the sun has set on my much-appreciated sky/sand/sea palIette), the logos can be inspired by stuff they've done before, but please, make new stuff!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am a Dodger fan and have always been a fan of the brown/yellow & blue/orange that the padres used plus the swinging friar logo.  I have been rooting for the friars to switch to brown/yellow or at least some kind of unique color scheme since 2009.  I officially give up! I hate the Padres more than I hate the Giants now!  Its a pathetic organization that continues to not listen to their fans and that is trying to be as boring of a brand as possible.  You guys suck padres! 

10 hours ago, Dinsmore16 said:

I wouldn't consider brown and yellow to be a vibrant color scheme. I like this set, brown and yellow is a god awful mix and I don't blame the Padres for not wanting to represent that

Agreed. The best uniforms the Padres have worn were their 90's unis. The Brown and Yellow in particular were always meh to bleh. That said I'm ok with them throwing the brown lovers a bone on Friday.

3 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

One less than the Diamondbacks! For the record, I think the Diamondbacks look is worse... someone said at least they tried but at least the Padres uniforms look like baseball uniforms. They're boring and sleep inducing but they still look like baseball uniforms to me and of course some of them aren't ugly in a vacuum.

Hell the Wednesday '91 style is beautiful. The Friday brown isn't terrible. And the Marine camo they've brought back as their primary military uniform is fine for what it is. It's just baffling that the home and away in particular are so damn boring. I mean would it have killed them to keep an accent color in there? They've had 4 different ones with the blue since the PCL days (red, orange, sand, yellow) and all would have looked much better than no accent color. And as was said above, the uniform as is with the return of the swinging friar on the sleeve from 2015 and any of the accent colors I just listed wouldn't have been a terrible uniform. The fact they somehow thought no accent color on the uni was a good idea is baffling. As for the way, the bowtie script died for a reason, it should have stayed dead. Same accent color issue applies. And as for why they removed the piping from the away while leaving it on the home, color my clueless as to that thinking.

10 hours ago, Dinsmore16 said:

I wouldn't consider brown and yellow to be a vibrant color scheme. I like this set, brown and yellow is a god awful mix and I don't blame the Padres for not wanting to represent that

To me, having been born and raised in San Diego, brown/yellow is a perfect match for the city and mascot.

padresexample.jpg

3 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

To me, having been born and raised in San Diego, brown/yellow is a perfect match for the city and mascot.

padresexample.jpg

There's no brown in that picture.

Having been born and raised in San Diego, I think they nailed it with blue and yellow. If anything, I would've liked to see them push the yellow a bit closer to orange. Something in the middle that would separate them from the Astros and (eventually) the Brewers.

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

That new jersey has something i have not seen before, the classic baseball uniform piping and a color trim around the neck, does not look good imo, especially from the back. 

ff_2605190alt2_full.jpg&w=600

ff_2605190alt3_full.jpg&w=600

They've had that for a while now.

5252_white_padres_home_l.jpg 2259_grey_padres_road_jersey_l.jpg 81qm2w%2Be1eL._SY355_.jpg

Difference is that it was paired with double-piping on the sleeves, which they have apparently cut back to the traditional single.

1 minute ago, Ray Lankford said:

There's no brown in that picture.

Having been born and raised in San Diego, I think they nailed it with blue and yellow. If anything, I would've liked to see them push the yellow a bit closer to orange. Something in the middle that would separate them from the Astros and (eventually) the Brewers.

Brown is in the friar, and could easily be seen in the sunset landscape. But, yes, I'd be fine too with a navy/darker yellow combo. Navy just isn't the color of friars in most people's minds eye. I know the arguments that the robes are anywhere from blue to grey to brown, but I think most people think of friars wearing brown robes so that makes the most sense.

4 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Brown is in the friar, and could easily be seen in the sunset landscape. But, yes, I'd be fine too with a navy/darker yellow combo. Navy just isn't the color of friars in most people's minds eye. I know the arguments that the robes are anywhere from blue to grey to brown, but I think most people think of friars wearing brown robes so that makes the most sense.

Brown and yellow are autumnal colors so it really can only be the mascot or the city and I'm fine going with the city. 

Archived