Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I heard Vancouver might be getting the team?

Are you asking us if you heard that or telling us? :)

I heard that from somebody but dont's know if that's a plausible scenario. If Vancouver does get the team, then screw the bluejays, I've gotten myself a new favortite team. B)

Doh!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I heard Vancouver might be getting the team?

Are you asking us if you heard that or telling us? :)

I heard that from somebody but dont's know if that's a plausible scenario. If Vancouver does get the team, then screw the bluejays, I've gotten myself a new favortite team. B)

If the team does move to Vancouver, would they play at BC Place, Nat Bailey Stadium (which would be expanded) or a new stadium altogether?

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

"The Redskins are in D. C.  The District Of Columbia is not just Washington, it encompasses some of Maryland and Northern Virginia as well."

Explain this: Why do the Redskins practice in Northern Virginia, but now play in Landover (nee Raljon) Maryland?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• 1 month later...

Remember The Grays

Apparently, there is a movement to name the team after the Homestead Grays who spent their time in Homestead, PA and in DC - with a huge fan base in the latter. They outdrew the Senators at Griffith Stadium for years and won Negro National League titles at a dizzying pace.

It's certainly better than creating a new name that does nothing for the history of baseball in the city and using a retread name like Senators for a place that doesn't even HAVE IT OWN SENATORS seems a bit silly when you really think about it.

On the Washington Baseball Club web site, Grays is second on the contest.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I'd liek to see a new name--and Expos would be a new name--but in a sense in the same category as the Utah Jazz--the Expos were named for the 1967 World Exposition in Montreal...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I like the Washington Grays as a name... or maybe the G-men. (Could that be a Grays nickname in the media?)

A great suggestion I read was the Washington Generals given their likely success early on will mirror that of the Globetrotters' great rivals. ;)

liverpool-1.png

Sorry to all the Canadian bretheren on this board, but Vancouver doesn't have a snowball's chance in you know where in landing the Expos, why would Major League Baseball want to keep a team in Canada with the Canadian dollar value so low. Besides wouldn't they learn from the Grizzlies of the NBA and not go that route?

I think the team will be in Washington and likely knowind how original team moves are nowadays, they will be the Washington Expos.

Now I'd much rather see Portland get the team to balance it all out but that's another story for another day.

rush.png

Clipboard03.jpg

Vancouver doesn't have a snowball's chance in you know where in landing the Expos, why would Major League Baseball want to keep a team in Canada with the Canadian dollar value so low.

While I agree that Vancouver has no chance, the Canadian dollar is actually gaining against the American dollar extremely fast.

So quickly that a lot of American companies are getting out of Canada because the "discount" is no longer as large as it once was.

At one point in 2001 $1 Canadian was worth 62 cents American.

Today $1 Canadian is worth 78.4 cents American.

Movin' on up :)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

In point of fact, naming the team after the league ("New York Americans", "Brooklyn Nationals", etc) never replaced the other nicknames.

They were used because teams changes nicknames frequently, often from year to year, based on factors such as the team's manager (the Cleveland Naps and Brooklyn Robins) or the marital status of the players (the Brooklyn Bridegrooms).

"Americans" and "Nationals" were used to give some sort of continuity throughout these changes. Not that I'd really mind "Washington Nationals," but because that was already used as another nickname for the American League Washington Senators.

In point of fact, naming the team after the league ("New York Americans", "Brooklyn Nationals", etc) never replaced the other nicknames.

Yes I know that, I was just saying in the World Series that's how they generally were referred to as.

Last year those Florida Nationals really took down the New York Americans, eh?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Will they have a No-Fly rule instead of the Infield Fly rule?

As much as I like the Senators, I've never liked two pro teams having the same name. Just seems unoriginal.

Here's one everyone can agree is stupid but I'll throw it out anyway.

the DC 51's :blink:

Archived