Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a great cap.  I've got a New Era just like it in my closet.  All I can say is thank God there wasn't baseball in DC while I lived there -- I'd have never graduated law school!

Ha ha ha! Well... I also have a Nats' cap... but different.

The mine is like that:

1963sen.jpg

Too nice!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

It's official... AP just moved this on the wire:

News Alert

WASHINGTON _Major League Baseball has chosen Washington as the new home of the Montreal Expos, a city official tells The Associated Press.

(P.S. I 've loved those old cursive W caps since I was a kid. Wish someone would use the piping. I like that look.)

P.S. I've got a sort of vested interest in this; the franchise will be the parent club for our AAA New Orleans Zephyrs next year.

Another inappropriate, misplaced nickname.

Not really, as explained in a thread (New orleans Zephyrs unveil new logo) earlier this year :

2) A Zephyr is a west wind-- almost anywhere you go in North America you can get a west wind, so the name is really location-neutral. It did have an extra tie-in in Denver with the Zephyr passenger train. But in an interesting twist, "Zephyrs" has a nice fit-in to New Orleans-- it was the name of a familiar and much-loved roller coaster at Pontchartrain Beach, a now-defunct old amusement park. In that sense, it's a lot like the minor-league "Brooklyn Cyclones" name.

Now, Utah Jazz, Los Angeles Lakers and Tennessee Oilers are/were just WRONG, as would be the Washington Expos.

It is what it is.

Perhaps they should stay away from the typical political or patriotic references. And they shouldn't have a "W" on their hat, that will again politicize the issue if "W" gets reelected. Republicans will be falling over themselves saying, "See, even the baseball team is for 'W'".

Washington Stallions

Washington Pride (as in a pride of lions)

Washington Buzz (bees)

I like

Capital Punishment

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Washington Pride (as in a pride of lions)

That name would be a huge hit in DuPont Circle.

*snicker*

Besides, D.C. Pride would sound cooler.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

From the sound of it, the Washington mayor doesn't want Senators, since DC doesn't actually have a Senator. Also, there was a petition distributed at the press conference to name the team the "Washington Grays"

VmWIn6B.png

Perhaps they should stay away from the typical political or patriotic references. And they shouldn't have a "W" on their hat, that will again politicize the issue if "W" gets reelected.  Republicans will be falling over themselves saying, "See, even the baseball team is for 'W'".

Alright, ease up Michael Moore! :puke:

I'll agree with the Grays. The only baseball team in Washington that actually had a good deal of success. The Nationals wouldn't work because then what would they do for the all star BP jerseys? Just drop the s?

What about Washington Expos? We change the unis back to the old Expos unis and voila! No harm no foul no use of the W for Bush to get puffed up about.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Whoever said to call them "Washington" and let the new owner pick is right on the money. I think they should stay Washington until the new stadium is finished, especially when you consider how little time they have to come up with stuff and market it.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived