Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone said "patriotic"... so, what about this one: Washington Patriots ?

Yes, yes, I know... there's a NFL team called after that... but if there is "NY Giants" in NFL and there is "SF Giants" in NL... so why not the Washington Patriots?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To my mind, Senators is the clear winner, unless one can make a very compelling case for another.  Grays is the only one that's even come close so far.

I agree with you entirely Gothamite.

The DC Mayor and several others have tried to make an argument that the Senators name wouldn't work since the district itself has no representation in Congress. Hence, there's no Senator representing Washington D.C.

I can't get behind that argument. Of course there are Senators in Washington D.C. Because they don't represent the district specifically, I believe, shouldn't be a determining factor.

The team would draw from not only the district, but from the region as a whole. I see it as a "capitol region" team rather than one specifically for the district.

Someone said "patriotic"... so, what about this one: Washington Patriots ?

Yes, yes, I know... there's a NFL team called after that... but if there is "NY Giants" in NFL and there is "SF Giants" in NL... so why not the Washington Patriots?

That's the reason not to.

We already have Cardinals (NFL, MLB) and Giants (NFL, MLB), which also means the Senators is out (NHL)

The team would draw from not only the district, but from the region as a whole. I see it as a "capitol region" team rather than one specifically for the district.

Capitol Domes then?

Senators is solid, if it were not for the failures twice. Why name a team for failing teams. The Grays would be good if were specific to the Negro League in only D.C... I heard the Cabs and thought that was unigue.

How about they go way of the board for a name? Maybe Washington Mustangs or D.C. Tides or Ambassadors

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

It's be awesome to get a DC cap. They've never done one of those..and I think it'd be classy if their road cap or alternate cap was "DC" instead of "W"

I still say Grays is the way to go and it doesn't have to mean "Grey" like the colour, but "Grays" as in a honoured tribute to a team.

In that case, they can be gray and whatever...not just gray. I think Eagles isn't a bad idea either, and incidentially, the Newark Eagles were a Negro League team too. It'd kill two birds with one stone. Patriotic and it has the tribute aspect to it.

Newark wouldn't mind. Its an interesting idea..

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

If they bring back the Senators of Nationals and nickname them the Nats, THEIR MASCOT MUST BE A GNAT!

I have a suggestion for a name, but $50 says at least five of you know what it is. :D (I'm just wondering who will make the logo first...it'd be an easy one to make.)

--Roger "HINT!" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Any team from Washington, except the Redskins, should have a patriotic name and patriotic colors. The Redskins are the exception because they kept the name and colors from Boston.

Washington Wizards? Sheesh, that's almost as bad as Utah Jazz.

And green as a team color in a city that is supposed to symbolize red, white and blue? Give me a break.

I like Washington Eagles and Washington Federals. Washington Grays definitely has historic significance in D.C., but it's still a bland nickname.

How about the D.C. Tens? Heheheh.

Fortunately or unfortunately, Senators is the name you think of when you think of Washington baseball--even 33 years later

Here's some suggestions, some serious, some not so serious....

Washington Garrison

Washington Generals

D.C. Diplomats

and now for something completely different...

Washington Mudslingers

Washington Weasels

D.C. Menace

:rolleyes:

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

WASHINGTON PROTESTERS! They got a lot of people protesting about things these days and DC seems to be the place to do it! :P

"First let's protest and later we can go to watch some baseball"

- A protester to another.

(Good example to recycle public)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Well, Minnesota doesn't own the rights to the names due to the fact the second Senators team was named the Senators. However they would not be able to fly the 1924 World Series Championship because they didn't win it. Those chanmionships officially belong to the Minnesota Twins franchise. I'm not sure if the Rangers own the right to the Senators name however I'm sure they wouldn't object to it being used.

In that case, can I change my vote to Senators?

I know I sound two faced on this issue, but Washington's only World Championship and World Series Appearances were when the team was named the Nationals and not the Senators. Maybe Nationals would be better than Senators. If you go with Nationals, use the W on the Capitol Dome Logo.

Atlanta Braves, please bring back the Indian Head logo.

Archived