NFL helmet logo swap/mash-up

Digital Justice

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/27/2017 at 8:46 AM, panthers_2012 said:

I would try doing whiskers instead of the paw. 

The whiskers were my first thought, but in attempting to emulate the curvature of the Chargers bolt, they ending up looking like claw marks. While I didn't like the design, it did give me the idea about using the paw instead.

I think if I was a better artist, the design would be stronger.

DALLAS COWBOYS [as the Seattle Seahawks]
Established: 1974
First season: 1976 (AFL)
League championships: 1
 Super Bowl championships: 1 - 2013 (XLVIII)

Initially, I was using a cowboy's profile, but couldn't get a look I liked. Then I remembered the City of Dallas's flag and adapted the design.

31576602573_2fff244369_o.png

DENVER BRONCOS [as the San Francisco 49ers]
Established: 1946
First season: 1946 (NFC), 1950 (AFL)
League championships: 5
 Super Bowl championships: 5 - 1981 (XVI), 1984 (XIX), 1988 (XXIII), 1989 (XXIV), 1994 (XXIX)

Denver was tough as they have used both a head and full body shot as a logo. Eventually, I just settled on using the team initials. To mirror the change in team colors by SF, I used Denver's original and present colors.

31576602473_18488cf3c7_o.png

DETROIT LIONS [as the Pittsburgh Steelers]
Established: 1933
First season: 1933 (AFL)
League championships: 6
Super Bowl championships: 6 - 1974 (IX), 1975 (X), 1978 (XIII), 1979 (XIV), 2005 (XL), 2008 (XLIII)

Due to perceptions about Detroit (real or not), I felt that Detroit had to have team before 1960. The logo itself is somewhat unoriginal as it only replacing the steelmark with lions. I probably should have used the original Lions logo, but I like the leaping lion better.

31576602343_13c4f00feb_o.png

GREEN BAY PACKERS [as the New York Giants]
Established: 1925
First season: 1925 (AFL)
League championships: 8
 AFL championships (pre-1970 AFL–NFL merger): 4 - 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956
 Super Bowl championships: 4 - 1986 (XXI), 1990 (XXV), 2007 (XLII), 2011 (XLVI)

Green Bay had to come in early in order to justify why it was still around. It was also one of two word cities that fit NY's logo.

32387567605_39800a9849_o.png

These all look really nice. I especially like what you did with the Cowboys, and the Ravens, Bills, and Packers logos look really cool.

23 hours ago, Turtle Pilgrim said:

I think that was the baseball Cardinals, not the football Cardinals, but not entirely sure at the moment.  I'd perhaps, in this sort of thing, swap the Cardinals with some team like the Chargers, for example.  That would change things around here with your helmet swaps, no doubt, but if so, then so be it, if you'd change the already-posted helmets and teams accordingly, of course,  That is all for now, at least.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

I had to look it up, but it turns out both teams were named after their shade of cardinal red.

4 minutes ago, Turtle Pilgrim said:

Where did you see that?  Please let me know.  Thank you.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

I found that on the teams' Wikipedia pages, which in turn linked me to this Encyclopedia Britannica Article about the NFL team and the MLB team's official history page.

On 2/26/2017 at 1:57 AM, Digital Justice said:

ARIZONA CARDINALS [as the Cleveland Browns]
Established: 1946
First season: 1946 (NFC), 1950 (AFL)
League championships: 8
 NFC Championships: 4 - 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949
 AFL Championships: 4 - 1950, 1954, 1955, 1964

As Arizona takes its nickname from the color and not the bird, I thought the Browns was the obvious choice for the switch. 

32387567845_3745882cbe_o.png

On 2/27/2017 at 0:33 PM, Turtle Pilgrim said:

I think that was the baseball Cardinals, not the football Cardinals, but not entirely sure at the moment.  I'd perhaps, in this sort of thing, swap the Cardinals with some team like the Chargers, for example.  That would change things around here with your helmet swaps, no doubt, but if so, then so be it, if you'd change the already-posted helmets and teams accordingly, of course,  That is all for now, at least.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

As far as I know, only the Stanford Cardinal were named for the color. The baseball Cardinals have never worn the color cardinal, which is a darker shade of red than theirs, plus they've long used cardinals in their logos. The football Cardinals have historically worn a color pretty close to cardinal (till they lightened it in 2005), but they've also had a cardinal head on their helmets from the moment helmet logos became commonplace. By contrast, Stanford's mascot is famously a tree. No birds to be found (unless there's a nest in there that I'm not seeing, lol).

7 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

As far as I know, only the Stanford Cardinal were named for the color. The baseball Cardinals have never worn the color cardinal, which is a darker shade of red than theirs, plus they've long used cardinals in their logos. The football Cardinals have historically worn a color pretty close to cardinal (till they lightened it in 2005), but they've also had a cardinal head on their helmets from the moment helmet logos became commonplace. By contrast, Stanford's mascot is famously a tree. No birds to be found (unless there's a nest in there that I'm not seeing, lol).

I do believe they did wear the color cardinal once upon a time, if they no longer do, in the case of the baseball Cardinals. I'd have to look at prior versions of their uniforms, at least, to be sure, I think, though.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

49 minutes ago, Turtle Pilgrim said:

I do believe they did wear the color cardinal once upon a time, if they no longer do, in the case of the baseball Cardinals. I'd have to look at prior versions of their uniforms, at least, to be sure, I think, though.  Turtle Pilgrim out.

Possibly. Let me know what you find out. I love learning about old-time baseball.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:51 AM, Heitert said:

Yeah, with the falcon wings I would maybe flip them vertically and then rotate them about 25° and extend the wing to the front of the helmet. 

So, far though, this is a pretty decently series. I love all these team matchup/switches I've seen over the years. 

On 2/27/2017 at 2:51 AM, Heitert said:

Yeah, with the falcon wings I would maybe flip them vertically and then rotate them about 25° and extend the wing to the front of the helmet. 

So, far though, this is a pretty decently series. I love all these team matchup/switches I've seen over the years. 

Here's another try using those suggestions.

33154786856_dbb2acb672_o.png

HOUSTON TEXANS [as the Tennessee Titans]
Established: 1960
First season: 1960 (NFL IV), 1970 (AFL)
League championships: 2
 NFL Championships: 2 - 1960, 1961

The Texans were a problem. As no team changed names or were founded after 2002. No team outside of Texas is going to use Texans as team. In addition, the Oilers moved so late, I couldn't see Houston at any point having two teams. So, I came up with inelegant story to merge the two teams. It involved owners dying and cities using eminent domain. On the design front, I came up with a design that converted the Titans logo into a branding iron. It wasn't until after I finished I realized that I created something similar to the USFL Wranglers logo. I decided to give it another try. This is where my convoluted back story came in to play. So, idea behind the logo is that is an oil drop (an unofficial shout out to their temporarily lost nickname). 

Since I was modifying the current logo, I figured I'd tweak the Oilers logo into something similar, but different.

33154786976_b4473534c3_o.png

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS [as the Carolina Panthers]
Established: 1993
First season: 1995 (AFL)
League championships: 0

I initially had the Colts mashed up with the Raiders. I used a modified version of the proposed horse head logo with the horseshoe standing in for the crossed swords, but I needed another team to use the Raiders to solve another problem. I salvaged the head and further modified it to match up with Carolina's logo. I bent my outline rule, so I could add a touch of color to second head. 

33154787036_c411ddab2f_o.png

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS [as the Cincinnati Bengals]
Established: 1967
First season: 1968 (NFL IV), 1970 (AFL)
League championships: 0

I knew the Bengal stripes on Cincinnati's helmet were going to be a problem. So, I simply substituted one great cat's coat for another. The spots are supposed to roughly align with the stripes on the Bengals helmet. 

31576601893_d63d3c0064_o.png

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS [as the New York Jets]
Established: 1959
First season: 1960 (AFL)
League championships: 1 (Does not include the AFL or NFL championships won during the same seasons as the AFL–NFL Super Bowl championships before the 1970 AFL–NFL merger)
 NFL Championships: 1 - 1968
 AFL-NFL Super Bowl championships: 1 - 1968 (III)

Like Green Bay, Kansas City was a two name city with a short nickname that I could easily sub for New York. The jet equivalent is supposed to be an arrow (both standalone and wordmark).

31576601813_d63d3c0064_o.png

Falcons - The helmet looks much better with the logo flipped like that. 

Texans - Something seems off on this one, I can't really put a finger on it. I think that maybe the Titans logo just isn't the best option for the logo switch. I think you could do something with a team that uses an animal mascot as their logo. I would try the Bears and use the star shape from the Chicago flag as the eye; I think that would look pretty decent. 

Colts - I've always sorta liked that Colts logo. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a good logo by any means but it has some 90s charm, which is always nice to see. 

Jaguars - The Jags as the Bengals works perfectly. You did a nice job on this one. Good choice not making the jaguar spots continue down the entire helmet. 

Chiefs -  really like the Chiefs as the Jets, really good work there. I have to say my favorite helmet is the '98-present version. It just works really well.

Cowboys -  Dallas is really awesome, I could definitely see that helmet used by some minor league or semi-pro team. 

Broncos -  I would use a colored helmet for the Broncos, since the 49ers do use a gold helmet. I think navy could work, now that it's considered Denver's alternate color. Though, orange could also work since the Broncos use navy as their helmet color currently, It's really up to which looks better. 

Lions: I'm not quite sure the Lions works as the Steelers. The tri-Lion logo just looks off, and you'd lose a lot of detail in the logos if applied to a helmet like that. 

Packers: The 'GB' does look a little weird here, but to no fault of your own, it's just an awkward letter combo to be stylized in such a way as 'NY.' Have you considered doing a different team for Green Bay, a team that would lend itself more easily to stylizing the letters in the same way as the Giants. Maybe New England? That way you can still use the lowercase 'n' like the Giants and just extend the bottom of the 'E,' which would look more natural. 

Another question: Do you have a specific system or logic for the team switches? Or is it just by which team you think would fit best for each swap? If it's the latter, there's definitely nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to know your thought process.

I gotta say, my favorite of this series is the Chiefs as the Jets. It works so well and looks like it could be used for an actual team. 

I like this series a lot. Keep up the good work. 

Archived