2017 MLS Kit Matchups

upperV03

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

AJC is reporting Atlanta will wear gray shirts and red shorts on Saturday at Montreal. Doesn't specify whether red or gray socks.

Was hoping to see red and black stripes vs blue and black stripes but I can see the league's concern for a clash. Both clubs wear black shorts and half of their shirts are both black. It's not as if one club wears white and blue stripes vs another club orange and black stripes.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/about-atlanta-united-white-shorts/d2mpH08xWxx0qyUWYiMDnL/

To my knowledge, Atlanta does not have clash shorts for the primary kit, nor do I think any color other than black would look good. Gold would be bad and white would look terrible with no other white on the kit. Maybe red if anything, but that wouldn't be as good as black.

That's too bad we can't have a matchup of the striped kits, but it doesn't surprise me either. I wish more teams would have clash shorts and/or socks for their primary kits, especially now that third kits are no longer allowed. For Atlanta, some dark red shorts with gold trim, and maybe socks too, probably could've made the striped matchup more acceptable from the league's perspective. But I suppose having two dark pairs of shorts and socks wouldn't be all that practical, especially for a primary kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think that Atlanta and Montreal's primaries would clash well enough if they wanted to go that route. AC Milan and Inter practically have the same matchup of primaries. Plus, with MLS's uniform rules, the backs of the jerseys don't have the black stripes continued on them, making it even easier to distinguish between the two. 

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I'd think that Atlanta and Montreal's primaries would clash well enough if they wanted to go that route. AC Milan and Inter practically have the same matchup of primaries. Plus, with MLS's uniform rules, the backs of the jerseys don't have the black stripes continued on them, making it even easier to distinguish between the two. 

It probably could work, but I'd guess the black shorts for both teams made it a little too close for the league's liking. Atlanta probably still could've decided to go with their primaries, but the league seems to prefer having teams go with the safe option in cases such as this one.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

You jnow, I love teams wearing their primaries as often as possible (they're called primaries for a reason), but I don't feel that red-black vs blue-black could work out, especially with both featuring black shorts. It could work, but it's not ideal.

ExJworW.png

2 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

It probably could work, but I'd guess the black shorts for both teams made it a little too close for the league's liking. Atlanta probably still could've decided to go with their primaries, but the league seems to prefer having teams go with the safe option in cases such as this one.

I remember several years back when SKC's jerseys had the left third in navy and their clashes were navy as well. So, when they played Philadelphia and New England on the road, the home teams had to wear their roads against SKC. Then, later in the season, Philly wore their navy jerseys against SKC's primaries, and New England did the same in the playoffs and it was totally fine. Maybe FIFA had come out that year and they tried out those uni matchups and thought it was fine. 

So maybe at some point we'll get a red vs. blue Atlanta-Montreal matchup. 

1 minute ago, Magic Dynasty said:

You jnow, I love teams wearing their primaries as often as possible (they're called primaries for a reason), but I don't feel that red-black vs blue-black could work out, especially with both featuring black shorts. It could work, but it's not ideal.

Uab3Pkn.jpg

Obviously not with black shorts, but a similar matchup can conceivably work and we'll probably get it at some point. 

16 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

I remember several years back when SKC's jerseys had the left third in navy and their clashes were navy as well. So, when they played Philadelphia and New England on the road, the home teams had to wear their roads against SKC. Then, later in the season, Philly wore their navy jerseys against SKC's primaries, and New England did the same in the playoffs and it was totally fine. Maybe FIFA had come out that year and they tried out those uni matchups and thought it was fine. 

So maybe at some point we'll get a red vs. blue Atlanta-Montreal matchup. 

Uab3Pkn.jpg

Obviously not with black shorts, but a similar matchup can conceivably work and we'll probably get it at some point. 

The red of Atlanta's kit is a bit darker than that Milan kit, so that factors in as well. I'd guess we won't see the striped matchup this season unless Montreal decides to go with the white shorts (maybe socks as well) from their secondary kit when they visit Atlanta later in the year. I doubt they'll do that though so we might not end up seeing that matchup in the foreseeable future unless one of teams gets dedicated clash shorts and/or socks for their primaries.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

To be fair, you look at all of those Milan derbies and AC Milan almost always wear white shorts. That definitely helps with the contrast. But Atlanta doesn't have any white on the primary kit at all, so white shorts would stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe white shorts with gold stripes to tie it together, but I'm not confident it would look good.

At any rate, they don't have white shorts for that kit (only white shorts for the gray kit with the monochrome crest). So a matchup with both teams in black shorts and half black shirts just probably wasn't feasible.

Still waiting on a few but here are most of this week's kit matchups:

IMG_3499.JPG.329075200a860cac6a9f32acb22554a1.JPGIMG_3500.JPG.e49d7fbede62f57d13ba8f11940d5342.JPGIMG_3501.JPG.8a7c3dd55fa1df45b8c22972e690f7f5.JPGIMG_3502.JPG.24db2e94e5098c396b4fe405d50b109e.JPGIMG_3503.JPG.ca5d961dbdccadff1e593ab1ff4feea6.JPGIMG_3504.JPG.bd5b2676644d137a6b75ca62c4884d43.JPG

IMG_3506.JPG.30773a20bd1da97a9a161378a3e91dec.JPGIMG_3507.JPG.751e594b6a8e90525003eca5c63911bc.JPGIMG_3505.JPG.0057b4b600c13ef5dc7109225f57b73d.JPG

Just a few notes this week. I'm a bit surprised to see Dallas go with their secondaries rather than red/white/red. Columbus is (thankfully) back to wearing their primaries after two straight weeks of choosing to go with black. Portland is choosing to go with the Rose City reds at home for the first time this season, and they're pairing the red shorts with the new hooped socks for the first time. I'm excited to see how that combo looks. 

Also, a few notes regarding the graphics. NYCFC's light blue is again incorrectly labeled as "bah blue" for the second straight week. The red on Atlanta's secondary is portrayed as being considerably darker than it actually is, and Portland's hooped socks are incorrectly shown as having a red base rather than black.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 hours ago, DiePerske said:

on my screen at least, orlando looks blue, not purple

That's because the league has been posting the graphics as jpg files rather than png and the colors get distorted when I upload them here. I could convert them to png if it's really all that bothersome, but I figure it's not really worth the hassle.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The last of this week's kit matchups are pretty straightforward:

IMG_3509.JPG.a8c886f8a736f34e43df02fcd3bd864f.JPGIMG_3510.JPG.0352f9d70c0f34740c957e66b5e8aacb.JPG

Also, it looks like the Timbers are wearing red at home tomorrow to coincide with the Thorns' season and home opener. Nice gesture on their part, and this will now mark three straight years where they've decided to go with their Rose City reds at home on the weekend of the Thorns' season opener.

IMG_3508.thumb.PNG.319213b0e26e6efa652940514dbb0ea9.PNG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

On 4/11/2017 at 4:33 AM, Gothamite said:

And, if anyone is unaware, they planned at one point to rename the club "Arsenal Colorado", for all the reasons listed above. 

latest?cb=20120810011608

Although we've been told that the Rapids are no longer playing up the Arsenal connection as they once did, so if the away colors were originally chosen for that purpose it may be tradition and the Colorado flag keeping them around. 

I think this is also why the seats at DSG Park only say "Colorado" and not "Rapids".

Before today's matches get underway here's how the three games last night looked in action:

IMG_3517.JPG.ab528897a968ef786d5a35bb54ffcb05.JPGIMG_3515.thumb.JPG.06cf7d3c7583f21907f5723df1d42c5e.JPGIMG_3520.thumb.JPG.2840d5ea1988f64592d182a4d2dc27b6.JPG

No complaints other than FCD wearing their secondaries instead of red/white/red. Too many blue accents between the two teams' kits and too many gradients as well. There wasn't any clashing issue but Dallas' red/white/red would've made it a much more aesthetically pleasing affair.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Neither team was wearing the right thing.  SJ should still be blue/black/blue, and Dallas needs to have the red/white hoops again.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Here's how yesterday's matchups looked in action:

IMG_3530.JPG.b43e06e423204bdc0515382e18d6df69.JPGIMG_3531.JPG.fc1069ba14013e54d4f0c9557ecce154.JPGIMG_3533.JPG.0506670ada95a9e9e50bda593f468a96.JPGIMG_3538.JPG.4e871f4683748cd5b8745d41329538c4.JPGIMG_3540.JPG.54dc485b634cc62eef99c043d04fa510.JPGIMG_3541.JPG.fdf54bf42e9950fe78f82d3d3cf818ed.JPGIMG_3542.thumb.PNG.beae7dbbea8224b579b539ec25fbf816.PNGIMG_3532.thumb.JPG.b906edb3b9a5796a29ccce87fb541a86.JPG

Although we didn't get the striped matchup between Atlanta and Montreal, I thought it was still a really nice looking game with a terrific contrast of colors. It's amazing how much better Atlanta's secondary looks when paired with the red shorts and socks. Aside from that I thought SKC/Portland was another really nice looking matchup, while RSL/Colorado was probably the worst of the lot. Just too much white in that one for my taste, and RSL's secondary is in desperate need of some more color. But overall it was a pretty good looking week with some nice color matchups and only a couple of clunkers.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Ok so after seeing the jerseys for a few games...

I don't like the dots on Vancouver's jerseys, they look like pajamas.

Minnesota's (home) jerseys are better than I originally thought. Very unique

Philadelphia's jerseys could be so much better with a different sponsor (but we have known this for a while)

RSL's away whites are the worst/most boring jerseys in the league. And the two color sponsor logo makes it feel like a practice jersey even more

San Jose's jerseys don't look as good in action as you cant really see the design. They probably should have stayed with blue/black/blue

ATL's home kits are really nice

Dallas' away is too confusing, as the back is white but basically the entire front is blue.

There is too much gray on Toronto's jerseys. The gray Adidas striping is fine but the shoulders and sides is a little to much, especially when they wear long sleeves. 

Sporting KC still looks weird with white shorts/accents, they should have stayed with the navy.

The lasers on the RedBulls kits have no purpose, although you can't really see them unless its a close up. Last year's kit with the red sleeves was perfection IMO

I think Colorado would look better with more light blue, like West Ham or Aston Villa

Chicago's home jerseys still look weird to me for some reason, I think it has to do with the sponsor

The new special edition Adidas Parley kits have already been posted in the other thread but I figured I'd post them here as well since these are the matchups:

IMG_3566.JPG.010c59b384ea57e41cf534a4d803456c.JPGIMG_3567.JPG.e50ac23119dbd3cca665586d4ab92fd6.JPG

Let's hope there's more contrast between them than these photos seem to indicate otherwise these will be two very confusing matchups. It'll also be interesting to see the shorts and socks that each team wears.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Archived