2017 NHL Offseason

ninersdd

11 hours ago, DaRadniz29 said:

I would be surprised if the can give Thornton and Marleau what each is asking for, both in terms of dollar amount and contract length, and if it's truly the right move for the franchise.

it isn't

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wild trade Jason Pominville, Marco Scandella and a 2018 4th, to Buffalo for Tyler Ennis, Markus Foligno, and a 2018 3rd...

I'm not entirely sure, but from what I've heard, the Wild clear up 5 mil. in cap space by losing Pominville's contract...

I'm going to miss Pommer, as he was my favorite player, but there wasn't much that was good about him, so this is good for the Wild. I'm excited for Ennis, and I've heard good things about Foligno too...

I'm also going to miss the Scandy Man...

Spoiler

Who can make his shot rise???

Wrinkle the twine too!!

Score in Overtime, and take a check or two!

The Scandy Man... The Scandy Man can!

(From the Hockey Wilderness on SB Nation... Specifically Twitter)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Also the Caps signed Dmitry Orlov to a 6 year deal today.  Good young defensemen, really improved this year, nice deal.  

Also, Jaromir Jagr reportedly isn't getting any calls in free agency... do it Mac.  We need someone to replace Justin "Mr-Game-7-if-he-cant-help-us-in-the-playoffs-then-who-can" WIlliams.  Could probably get him on the cheap too.  Would be one heck of a story if Jagr, who pretty much was mutually unhappy in DC in the early 2000s, came back and got us over the hump.

spacer.png

18 hours ago, DaRadniz29 said:

Rumors swirling: Thornton waiting to see if Marleau resigns Sharks. If he does, Thornton resigning is likely. If Marleau signing with a new team might be on condition of signing Thornton too. Pending both like the $ amount and term/year length.  

http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/thornton-marleau-inching-closer-leaving-sharks

https://www.nhl.com/news/joe-thornton-patrick-marleau-free-agency-upcoming/c-290224280

Given the Sharks other talented, younger players and the contracts of other veterans due up in a year or two, I would be surprised if the can give Thornton and Marleau what each is asking for, both in terms of dollar amount and contract length, and if it's truly the right move for the franchise.  Yeah, I want them back, but just not sure how realistic it is. 

It isn't the right move. It's time to move on to the next era of Sharks hockey, one without the stigma and slow pace of the old guys sticking around. The stories of "Jumbo" Joe Thornton playing through a shredded knee might be romantic to some, but to me it speaks to the stagnation of the Sharks' organization.

I'll miss them, sure, but the time to part ways should have come a while ago (i.e. right after the reverse-sweep, as part of a mega-rebuild).

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It isn't the right move. It's time to move on to the next era of Sharks hockey, one without the stigma and slow pace of the old guys sticking around. The stories of "Jumbo" Joe Thornton playing through a shredded knee might be romantic to some, but to me it speaks to the stagnation of the Sharks' organization.

I'll miss them, sure, but the time to part ways should have come a while ago (i.e. right after the reverse-sweep, as part of a mega-rebuild).

Yeah, I would say many of us fans know that it's probably the right move to move on. I know it's not the right mindset for the possible/potential success (now and future) of the team. I kind of want the Sharks to keep them, just to keep the two away from LA and Anaheim. I don't want Marleau to leave a little more than I don't want Jumbo to leave. At the same time, I want the two win a Stanley Cup before their careers are over.  

FTF reports that Marleau has a 2yr deal on the table, and the Sharks had a one year deal for Thornton but moved up their offer to Thornton to 2yrs. With Thornton wanting to play with Marleau it seems likely that they will either push for that third year and walk or accept the two-year deal and see what happens. Guess it depends on how much Thornton and Marleau want that third year, stay in San Jose, play together.  

Good thing I'm not a GM, I'm so indecisive. :) 

5 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

The Sharks better get a hell of a deal if they hand out three-year deals to two 38YOs.

Not many know the dollar amount being offered but the consensus seems to be $5M/yr. for 2 years and $4M for 3 years. Both for Thornton and Marleau.  However, I've not heard of the Sharks offering 3 years, yet...

Canucks are filling out their roster with lower end FAs. Maybe a good strategy to let their prospects marinate in the AHL, junior or Europe depending on the kid. Team is going to suck next year regardless so why get them beat down here. 

They've added Ganger, Del Zotto, Wiercoch, Burmistrov and Nillson. 

Sounds like Joe Thornton is re-signing in San Jose on a one year deal. They'll never learn, will they?

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

12 minutes ago, FGM13 said:

Sounds like Joe Thornton is re-signing in San Jose on a one year deal. They'll never learn, will they?

It's all about how much he costs. A one-year deal won't hurt them.

I bet you could get pretty good odds right now on Montreal winning the Cup in 2025-2026. They could be paying a 40YO defenceman $8M and a 38YO goalie $10.5M.

Furthermore, Radulov couldn't reach a deal with the Habs. Habs don't want to re-sign both Markov & Radulov. I know who they'll choose. Another fan favorite gone too soon.

With that said, I'm very unhappy with just about everything in this offseason.

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

This is why Sergachev was dealt.  MB sorta admitted it...

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/881594938915508227

It's also why it's been 24 years since their last Cup win for a team that had won at least one in every decade prior and won't win one in the near future.

This limiting mindset has killed the Montreal Canadiens.

And signing any goalie age 27+ to an 8-year contract... you're just asking for something to happen.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived