The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

My mini-realignment idea only involves two teams switching places in their divisions:

AFC North

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Baltimore

Indianapolis

AFC South

Tennessee

Houston

Jacksonville

Cincinnati

It's never made much sense to me that Indianapolis is in the South and Cincinnati is in the North even though Indy is further north than Cincy. Plus with Indy in the same division as Baltimore it would amplify a rivalry between the Baltimore's old team and new team.

With all due to respect, this mini-tweak suggestion would have make sense for sure from the get-go when the NFL had put the current realignment since 2002.

AFC East

Baltimore

Buffalo

New England

New York

AFC North

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Indianapolis

Pittsburgh

AFC South

Houston

Jacksonville

Miami

Tennessee

• Like 1

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

AFC East

Baltimore

Buffalo

New England

New York

AFC North

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Indianapolis

Pittsburgh

AFC South

Houston

Jacksonville

Miami

Tennessee

Nice one with the AFC (which I bet the AFC West stays equal). And it realistically makes sense in a geographic standpoint. But you forgot the NFC, so here it is (with the NFC South staying equal):

NFC East

Detroit

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

NFC North

Chicago

Green Bay

Minnesota

St. Louis

NFC West

Arizona

Dallas

San Francisco

Seattle

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

i think there should just be (maybe try it out for a few years and see where it goes) and just just and AFC and NFC with no divisions. would have the top 6 teams in the AFC and NFC make the playoffs (wont have teams at 8-8 or under .500 in the playoffs taking the place of a team with a winning record). each team would get to choose one team from there old division who they would play to play home and away (say washington vs dallas home and away).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

AFC East

Baltimore

Buffalo

New England

New York

AFC North

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Indianapolis

Pittsburgh

AFC South

Houston

Jacksonville

Miami

Tennessee

Nice one with the AFC (which I bet the AFC West stays equal). And it realistically makes sense in a geographic standpoint. But you forgot the NFC, so here it is (with the NFC South staying equal):

NFC East

Detroit

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

NFC North

Chicago

Green Bay

Minnesota

St. Louis

NFC West

Arizona

Dallas

San Francisco

Seattle

NFC East

Detroit Carolina

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

NFC North

Chicago

St. Louis Detroit

Green Bay

Minnesota

NFC West

Arizona

San Francisco

Seattle

Dallas St. Louis

NFC South

Atlanta

Dallas

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

• Like 1

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

NFC East

Detroit Carolina

New York

Philadelphia

Washington

NFC North

Chicago

St. Louis Detroit

Green Bay

Minnesota

NFC West

Arizona

San Francisco

Seattle

Dallas St. Louis

NFC South

Atlanta

Dallas

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Why I hadn't thought of that? Thanks for making the corrects, which now logically would make more sense. Otherwise, I would had just left the NFC North equally instead.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

New look NBA of the future - No Conferences

Pacific

LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco

Midwest

Denver, Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah

Central

Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota

South

Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando

Atlantic

Boston, Brooklyn, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington

-Team plays the other 5 teams in their division 6 times each = 30 games

-Team plays the other 24 teams in the league 2 times each (home and home) = 48 games

-78 regular season games for each of the 30 teams

-5 division winners and the next 11 teams based on record make playoffs

-Teams seeded 1 through 16 bases on record regardless of division

Pacific

Midwest

Central

South

Atlantic

-Team plays the other 24 teams in the league 2 times each (home and home) = 48 games

I was on board... until you said 11 wild card teams. Honestly, I'm not sure the playoffs mean anything when over 50% of the teams make it in. I think you gotta knock it down to 5 divisional winners and 3 wild cards.

Come to think of it... considering it its 1 conference, 16 teams wouldn't be TOO bad... but its still over half the teams make the playoffs... and that seems too much.

i think the NBA, and NHL should only have Eastern and Western Conference. would have the top 8 teams (in each conference) in the playoffs (no more under .500 teams in the NBA playoffs or like in the old days of the NHL, the weaker division be 3rd place in the playoffs) . would also just have an AL and NL in MLB (no divisions) and woud have the top 5 teams, in each league, (would have a 4 vs 5 play in game) in the playoffs (so we wont have a team around .500 in the playoffs taking away from a better team).

so long and thanks for all the fish.

MLB should try, & I can't believe they've never done this to my knowledge... home & home back to back series.

4-8x gamers, probably on the 4 side, between clubs. That'd be sick.

NHL seems to be the only league willing to give fans a bunch of those a season... always have. So what if they're baseball series, it's one travel date.

NBA should maybe try the new NHL playoff format, giving us 4 division playoff rivalry series each season. I don't care if the West is king... changing that up would all but labelling the East a AAA conference.

There's no way a top-down full league playoff will happen so you can forget it... erasing regionally balanced playoff tv ratings simply will never happen.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

NBA realignment for a just world:

Pacific Division: Seattle Supersonics, Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, LA Lakers, LA Clippers

Southwest Division: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Phoenix, Denver, Utah

Southeast Division: Oklahoma City Hornets, Memphis, Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte Bobcats

Central Division: Minnesota, Chicago, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Indiana, Detroit

Atlantic Division: Boston, NY Knicks, NY Nets, Toronto, Philadelphia, Washington

Division winners take seeds 1 through 5, wild cards 6-16. Series are 2-2-1-1-1 unless a series crosses two time zones, in which case the teams and league have the option to agree on a 2-3-2. With no conferences anymore, TNT gets the higher-seeded third-round match and ESPN gets the lower, then vice versa the next year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

New NFL Alignment

AMERICAN FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

Baltimore Ravens

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Denver Broncos

Houston Texans

Indianapolis Colts

Jacksonville Jaguars

Kansas City Chiefs

Miami Dolphins

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Oakland Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers

San Diego Chargers

Tennessee Titans

NATIONAL FOOTBALL CONFERENCE

Arizona Cardinals

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Chicago Bears

Dallas Cowboys

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

New Orleans Saints

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

St. Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Washington Football Team

Teams play every other team in their conference each year (switching home field each season)

Week 17 would be "Rank Game Week" (16 at 15, 14 at 13, and so on)

Weeks 10 and 11 would be bye weeks (one for AFC, one for NFC - would flip flop each season)

Top 7 teams from each conference qualify for playoffs (with only #1 seed getting bye - this would make Week 17 really exciting)

Preseason games would be strictly out of conference.

.... I guess only in a perfect world.

I'd like to see the NFL adopt inter conference rivalry games... either the added 17th game on top of status quo, or include one NFC & one inter divisional AFC yearly matchup, thereby ceasing the 2 conference seeding games they have now.

Having some of the best rivalries in August every year is dumb.

btw I'm fine with 17 games if they're smart enough to gift 2x bye weeks per team. What does the NFL care, it's a tv league & 19 weeks is 19 weeks.

@2001mark

• 2 weeks later...

The NHL in a perfect world...

EASTERN - ATLANTIC

Carolina Hurricanes

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Pittsburgh Penguins

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

EASTERN - NORTHEAST

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Columbus Blue Jackets

Detroit Red Wings

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques (moved from Florida)

Toronto Maple Leafs

WESTERN - CENTRAL

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche

Dallas Stars

Minnesota Wild

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Saskatchewan - EXPANSION

Winnipeg Jets

WESTERN - PACIFIC

Anaheim Ducks

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings

Portland - EXPANSION

San Jose Sharks

Seattle Metropolitans (moved from Arizona)

Vancouver Canucks

Saskatchewan - EXPANSION

That mon frere is a pipe dream, so I'll sub Las Vegas for us there. I wouldn't worry about LV's time zone either, the city's work/business clock really isn't a thing.

However, yes, both Florida & Phoenix need to be put out of OUR misery. Dead weight weakens the league.

@2001mark

• 3 weeks later...

Not really a realignment more than just a simple adjustment to the playoff format. I was thinking about how MLB's two wildcards in each league face off to eliminate each other in the first round, and applied that to hockey. Plus it would allow Minny to face Winny in the opening round.

new%20playoff%20format%20proposal_zpsekn

Pacific

Midwest

Central

South

Atlantic

This realignment plan reminds me of Tom Ziller's proposal he wrote in an article for SB Nation (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11/26/7280545/nba-schedule-reform-regions-map-playoffs).%C2'>

I think it's a solid plan, but I do have a few tweaks that I would add:

-Your schedule plan is slightly different from Ziller's, but I would add the four games to make it 82 as it is right now in real life. How would you accomplish this? Play one team from each of the other four divisions an additional third time. How would the NBA decide who plays who in these extra games? Base it off of the previous year's standings, much like the NFL does with it's extra two in-conference games.

-I would not award each division winner an automatic top-5 seed. However, I would have them locked in for a top-8 seed, as I think it's important a division winner plays a home playoff series in the NBA. This is similar to how the NBA operates in real life, as three division winners in the same conference are guaranteed a top-4 seed, but not a top-3 seed.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png