XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

1 hour ago, DDR said:

Because they can easily change the name of this fake team should it come to that.

you mean they’re not investing millions into branding and marketing for Team9?  I won’t be able to buy an authentic practice jersey or cap with their logo?

they could even just keep it Team 9. If the big 10 can have 14 teams, there can be a Team 9 in a 10-team league

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

So the XFL plans on having female referees on every single one of their officiating crews.  That's fine, as long as they don't mess up like NFL referees do. 

Way to be very sexist.  Your comment makes it as if the female NFL officials make the most mistakes compared to the male employees.  Sarah Thomas appreciates that.

The XFL appears to use more NCAA/UIL rules than NFHS or NFL so that should narrow their scope of off-season female officials who can properly work the four games per week. We're just looking at four women.

Amanda Sauer-Cook is likely working since she is a White Hat (aka Referee) in the MAC and worked for AAF, as did Maia Chaka and Robin DeLorenzo.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2020/01/xfl-officiating-breaks-new-ground-by-having-a-woman-on-every-crew/

I am going to give the XFL a chance.  However, I think in the end, the only Alternative football league I will go back to regularly are these guys:

I think most of us will too, looking forward towards a 2020 season, which hopefully includes an announcement of the Atlantic Schooners. 

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

“We think that because of our 25-second play clock our game is going to require quite honestly a little bit better conditioning than what some of these guys may be used to in the NFL or the CFL.“

Yup, those lazy slobs in the NFL...

17 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Yup, those lazy slobs in the NFL...

It's a lot better now than it was 20-25 years ago, but let's not pretend that all NFL players - especially linemen - are in stellar cardiovascular condition.  Even most RBs have to come out after any longer-than-average run, and receivers sub in and out all the time. 

25 seconds will be really interesting.  My fear is that it will lead to sloppiness, since there will barely be any time to audible if necessary, and just getting subs and plays in and out could take up most of the time.  It could turn into a version of the Chip Kelly Eagles offense of a few years ago.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It's a lot better now than it was 20-25 years ago, but let's not pretend that all NFL players - especially linemen - are in stellar cardiovascular condition.  Even most RBs have to come out after any longer-than-average run, and receivers sub in and out all the time. 

25 seconds will be really interesting.  My fear is that it will lead to sloppiness, since there will barely be any time to audible if necessary, and just getting subs and plays in and out could take up most of the time.  It could turn into a version of the Chip Kelly Eagles offense of a few years ago.

They plan on having microphones in the helmets of the QB and all offensive position players to speed up the game and prevent huddles. 

There's something to be said about demonstrating leadership in the huddle... but maybe that's just a thing of the past and players are nothing but screwdrivers, hammers, and saws.  I don't expect the QB to be squatted down drawing the play in the dirt with his finger, but "come on, fella's - we can do this!" might be good.

If not for a huddle, the whole world would have seen fatass McNabb puke in the Super Bowl, and nobody needed to see that.

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

There's something to be said about demonstrating leadership in the huddle... but maybe that's just a thing of the past and players are nothing but screwdrivers, hammers, and saws.  I don't expect the QB to be squatted down drawing the play in the dirt with his finger, but "come on, fella's - we can do this!" might be good.

If not for a huddle, the whole world would have seen fatass McNabb puke in the Super Bowl, and nobody needed to see that.

The problem with the microphones in the helmets of the offensive skill position players is that it could affect audibles at the line of scrimmage, especially with the 25 second clock.  We see QB's like Dak Prescott, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers audible a lot and a 40 second play clock that the NFL has helps that.  With the 25 second play clock, Landry Jones, Aaron Murray and Cardale Jones won't be able to have enough time to audible

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

How long before those go on layaway? 

I'm fairly certain you don't know what layaway means.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm fairly certain you don't know what layaway means.

Since I have never worked in the retail industry, I do not.  As I have said before, I am this forum's official moron....I don't know anything at all and I am not smart enough to know anything! 

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Since I have never worked in the retail industry, I do not.  As I have said before, I am this forum's official moron....I don't know anything at all and I am not smart enough to know anything! 

Layaway used to be much more common back in the day, but still exists, mostly in discount stores that target a lower-income market.  It's useful if you don't have/don't want / can't get a credit card (which weren't as ubiquitous 30+ years ago as they are now.)  My mom used to buy stuff on layaway.  Basically you find something you want to buy, go to the layaway counter, they put it on hold for you and you just pay a little every week until you buy it.  Meanwhile, it's 'reserved' for you, and since you're making payments, the risk of simply saving up for it at home and then blowing that money on something else isn't as high.

Shoppers put individual items on layaway. Retailers don't take large batches of items and put them on 'layaway'.  That's not a thing.  They would liquidate them.

7 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of two others that could also vie for that title.  I think we should have an election, and present an award badge to the "winner".

4 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Right off the top of my head, I can think of two others that could also vie for that title.  I think we should have an election, and present an award badge to the "winner".

Forget an election.....A triple threat match!

Archived