XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Got a buddy in St. Louis, might have to time one of my visits during a Battlehawks game. Will tell you all my experiences when it happens. 

I don't live in the StL metro area anymore, but I'm pretty determined to make my way over across I-70 to see at least one game to see what it's like as well. I'm thinking about the last regular season game, though, since it's the game the Defenders are visiting and there's a Missouri State alum who is at WR for them. Obviously no idea if he'll win a starting job or not (he did earn the kick returner spot with the Hotshots in the AAF but didn't start any games at receiver), but I'd like to at least support him as well.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

On 12/23/2017 at 4:24 PM, Cardsblues02 said:

I could be wrong, but I think Alamo Stadium is owned by the city, not a specific HS.

To the best of my knowledge, Alamo Stadium - as well as the Alamo Convocation Center, SAISD Sports Complex, and San Antonio Natatorium - are owned and operated by the San Antonio Independent School District.

11 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

To the best of my knowledge, Alamo Stadium - as well as the Alamo Convocation Center, SAISD Sports Complex, and San Antonio Natatorium - are owned and operated by the San Antonio Independent School District.

The Natatorium is owned by Northside ISD. Alamo Stadium is indeed owned by San Antonio ISD. The Alamodome is owned by the city and run by the San Antonio Convention and Sports Facilities Department. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

Nope.  However we do discuss any releases by NFL teams after training camps that are noteworthy. 

Not that many big names that got kicked off of the rosters though. Only big name that didn't materialize anywhere was Chad Johnson. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

We may be talking about different facilities. I was referring to the San Antonio Natatorium located  at the corner of W Cesar Chavez Boulevard and S Brazos Street, across from Lanier High School.

Yeah, I think that's SAISD as well. Most of the downtown facilities are. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The XFL reveals a practice squad "Team Nine"

https://www.xfl.com/en-US/teams/team9/team-9-articles/team-9-dallas

Which is great and all, but, assuming that the league actually lasts for more than one season this time (I know, a big ask...but humour me...), eventually the league will want to add more teams. Why not call this practice squad "Team X"?

11 minutes ago, Magnus said:

Which is great and all, but, assuming that the league actually lasts for more than one season this time (I know, a big ask...but humour me...), eventually the league will want to add more teams. Why not call this practice squad "Team X"?

It'll be at least 2 seasons before they'd expand, they'll probably do that though if they expand. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If they last that long. Recent news on WWE stock won't help. 

Not sure why it would have any impact, as Apollo is a separate entity.  Also, no reason to bring up WWE in 99% of posts.

5 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The XFL reveals a practice squad "Team Nine"

https://www.xfl.com/en-US/teams/team9/team-9-articles/team-9-dallas

At first glance, this seems like a terrific idea, and one that I can't believe nobody thought of before.  Let's think of the NFL (all of these points are from the perspective of haing a Team 33 in the NFL) - it's a chance for guys to further develop during the season, learning real-world plays, practice rigors, and have access to NFL strength-training facilities and real coaches.  Way better than getting cut and going home to work in a box factory or turn to crime.  

At second glance, there needs to be something more than just practices.  At some point, the guys need to at least scrimmage or play someone, just to feel like they're practicing for something, not just for the sake of it.  It's hard to stay motivated when you're practicing "just incase".  Not sure how to do this without having a second team - even then, it'd get boring real quick.

At third glance, there would need to be strict waiver rules in place so that teams don't take advantage of it as their personal minor league for specific players.

Now, looking at it from the XFL standpoint - the most interesting things to me are:

1) teams can only sign players from Team 9 after week 2.  If the guy they want for some reason isn't already on Team 9, then too bad.  I'm not sure if I love that idea.

2) I don't see the point of distributing the Team 9 players late in the season, and then restocking with 36 new players.  Seems unnecessary, and also difficult given that teams would only get 5 of them - how do they pick what positions?  Also, Team 9 is already ~50 players that weren't good enough for even the XFL, but now by the replenishment plan, they're going to go down to 80 or 90 players that weren't good enough.  Seems kinda pointless at that point.

I love the thought behind it, and think there's a lot of potential in the idea, if it can scale.  I don't love all of the rules they have in place, but after a season or two (if it lasts), they'll adjust if needed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not sure why it would have any impact, as Apollo is a separate entity.  Also, no reason to bring up WWE in 99% of posts.

At first glance, this seems like a terrific idea, and one that I can't believe nobody thought of before.  Let's think of the NFL (all of these points are from the perspective of haing a Team 33 in the NFL) - it's a chance for guys to further develop during the season, learning real-world plays, practice rigors, and have access to NFL strength-training facilities and real coaches.  Way better than getting cut and going home to work in a box factory or turn to crime.  

At second glance, there needs to be something more than just practices.  At some point, the guys need to at least scrimmage or play someone, just to feel like they're practicing for something, not just for the sake of it.  It's hard to stay motivated when you're practicing "just incase".  Not sure how to do this without having a second team - even then, it'd get boring real quick.

At third glance, there would need to be strict waiver rules in place so that teams don't take advantage of it as their personal minor league for specific players.

Now, looking at it from the XFL standpoint - the most interesting things to me are:

1) teams can only sign players from Team 9 after week 2.  If the guy they want for some reason isn't already on Team 9, then too bad.  I'm not sure if I love that idea.

2) I don't see the point of distributing the Team 9 players late in the season, and then restocking with 36 new players.  Seems unnecessary, and also difficult given that teams would only get 5 of them - how do they pick what positions?  Also, Team 9 is already ~50 players that weren't good enough for even the XFL, but now by the replenishment plan, they're going to go down to 80 or 90 players that weren't good enough.  Seems kinda pointless at that point.

I love the thought behind it, and think there's a lot of potential in the idea, if it can scale.  I don't love all of the rules they have in place, but after a season or two (if it lasts), they'll adjust if needed.

Luck gave the premise of having a Team 9.  Basically, it is financial because the cost to sign a guy off the street is too high if all eight teams try to do it for two players every week. 

“What we want to try to avoid is our teams having to sign players off the street. Example, Dez Bryant signed with the Saints this past NFL season, the first ten minutes of . . . that particular practice he tears an Achilles [tendon]. And so we want to avoid that. That’s quite honestly a costly Workers’ Compensation claim, so we want to have a group of guys that will be based in Dallas who basically are staying in shape. . . . We think that because of our 25-second play clock our game is going to require quite honestly a little bit better conditioning than what some of these guys may be used to in the NFL or the CFL. So it’s important that these guys are in shape, and it’s hard to stay in football shape on your own. That’s been one of my beliefs. You need to be around others.”

6 hours ago, Magnus said:

Because they can easily change the name of this fake team should it come to that.

Archived