Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

21 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

So it's a negotiating tactic. I've heard of team owners demanding corporate welfare in the form of a taxpayer-paid palace that 90% of said taxpayers will never be able to afford to go to on a regular basis or else we'll leave to a city dumb enough, I mean, progressive enough to do it but a guy threatening to shutter the league because he isn't getting NFL backups is a new one.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:
38 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I can understand a preference for using players assigned by NFL teams; and I get wanting to become a farm league.  But that model is certainly not necessary for the AAF's survival.  There is no shortage of quality talent amongst free agents.

Except that your opinion isn't shared by the guy writing the checks.

If the NFLPA does not agree to allow its members to be assigned to the AAF, the AAF would be in the exact same condition that it was when Dundon elected to buy into it, just a few weeks ago.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

Confirmed.

Get dibs on the the boxes which hold the copy paper for the cubicle clean out.

C'mon, I know that's his job but getting laid off because the company stopped existing isn't something I'd wish on anyone.

2 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

C'mon, I know that's his job but getting laid off because the company stopped existing isn't something I'd wish on anyone.

he's been very negative of the league from the start. 

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

he's been very negative of the league from the start. 

I'm aware (and he's by no means without reason to be negative considering everything), but joking about a guy who's just a schmo in the organization losing his job was a bit much for me. That's all.

I am a little bit more skeptical about the XFL because of Vince McMahon. With the exception of NXT, which is run by his son-in-law (and it's obvious Vince doesn't watch or care about NXT) WWE has a bad product. 

My issues with the AAF mainly deals with attendance issues in Memphis, Arizona, Atlanta and Birmingham

If Dundon needs the 300+ players on the NFL practice squad rosters plus those under Futures contracts, isn't that a dig that most of his current players under AAF contract aren't really good enough?

Having those players available still does not improve their financials and if Dundon agrees to cover player insurance, that is not going to draw fans to the games if the tickets are still Buy 2 Get 2.   

4 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

If Dundon needs the 300+ players on the NFL practice squad rosters plus those under Futures contracts, isn't that a dig that most of his current players under AAF contract aren't really good enough?

It's why the CFL has been smart in regards to player acquisitions, especially if CFL 2.0 takes off. 

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Well...(bolded by me)

A source close to the AAF told CBS Sports that Dundon was acting without seeking the advice of the council of NFL experts under contract to him. For example, Bill Polian, the AAF's Head of Football, was only made aware of the issue this morning. For context, Polian and NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice "De" Smith have a lengthy and friendly history together and were steeped in talks. The source went so far as to say that no one is sure why Dundon is doing what he's doing, but that the AAF currently plans on having games in Week 8. 

"[Tom] is the worst negotiator I've ever seen," the source said. However, given Dundon's position in the company, he is capable of making such large decisions. Therein lies the biggest threat to the AAF's existence: what Dundon is or isn't willing to do.  

Archived