Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't remember the XFL having this much bad weather for playing the same dates. I remember a monsoon in Memphis (this field practically flooded), but other than biting cold in Chicago and New York the weather seemed to cooperate. 

And yes, this isn't technically spring football, but the whole selling point is that football doesn't end. Unless you're the USFL poaching NFL players, starting later and ending summer isn't an option. Plus you'd have the reverse problem with games in Phoenix and Florida in May-June. 

1 minute ago, mkg74 said:

It should be however with threats of folding. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a big drop in SA. Thanks Dundon :P

A lot of San Antonio fans are harping on showing up to show the NFL that if we can average 30,000 for lower league football we'll definitely show up for NFL football. Not sure why they think it's even remotely possible, but whatever. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Great description from Geoff Calkins.

Less than two minutes remained in the game and a throng of Memphis fans gathered around the television in a bar area under the stadium to escape the rains. Orlando had the ball on the Memphis 1-yard line. The game would come down to this. At precisely that moment, a ProTech security guard ambled up to the television set, reached up his hand and turned off the TV.

"Time to go,” he said.

Wait, what?

Time to go?

For the fans or the entire league?

“That’s bullbleep,” said Larry Marley, one of the evicted fans. “You’ve got, like, 3 people in the whole city who care about this and they’re driving them away.”

So if this was the last home game for the Memphis Express — and it may well have been — it was quite the way to go.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/sports/article/4141/Calkins-Last-home-game-for-Johnny-Manziel-and-the-Memphis-Express

What I'm curious about is if this league folds, will it prove that people do indeed want to watch the NFL or nothing at all, even when they claim they don't? I wonder if anyone attending these games have become firmly "never watching NFL again" people that the XFL is still trying to cater to.

11 minutes ago, Quillz said:

What I'm curious about is if this league folds, will it prove that people do indeed want to watch the NFL or nothing at all, even when they claim they don't? I wonder if anyone attending these games have become firmly "never watching NFL again" people that the XFL is still trying to cater to.

I think the biggest takeaway is identifying which general managers actually take this seriously and which guys figured a few free tickets were all they needed to get people in. San Antonio put their name on fundraising efforts for school districts and have been pretty active using social media to show them in the community. I've seen social media from all of the teams but not to the extent I've seen from SA. The league mobile app is missing a lot of functions that other apps have, like tracking the stats of the games, not just the tracking software they use for their play predictor. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

34 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Maybe. I don’t think it’s necessarily proof of anything. Just another data point. 

But neither do I think that there are is any significant number of “never watching NFL again” viewers.  If McMahon is counting on them to succeed, the XFL may not make it to Week 3. 

We all know who the winner of the Alternate Football League Championship is going to be in five years and it's those fellas up North in Canada.  Yes, the CFL has a lot of different rules than American football, but they also use a lot of the same terminology as we do with our football down here. 

Archived