LAWeaver

Death of the Alliance of American Football

Recommended Posts

If Dundon is trying a bluff why not wait until the summer? He'd see how many of his players were snapped up by the NFL and have a better idea of what he could get in a relationship with the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If Dundon is trying a bluff why not wait until the summer? He'd see how many of his players were snapped up by the NFL and have a better idea of what he could get in a relationship with the NFL. 

 

He and the league will really be forgotten about media wise had he waited until the summer. However, I will be curious on how many guys are signed to a team's 90 man roster since the season ends the same day as teams will try to sign undrafted free agents as the XFL seems be competing for those guys as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The coach and other members of the Hotshots' organization said the dispute is not between the AAF and the NFLPA. It's between the league's majority owner and its co-founder, Bill Polian. 

"I got word from (Polian's) camp about this particular issue saying, 'do not worry about what is being said in the paper. Business is going on as usual,' " Neuheisel said. "They assured all of us to press on." 

Polian, Dundon and Neuheisel, for that matter, all agree that the future of the AAF is player development and want the league to become a farm system for the NFL.

 

Source: azcentral.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in 20 years, we'll have a President Dundon at the rate this is going.

 

But seriously, I can only speculate as to what is happening because I'm getting two wildly different stories. Best way to find out the truth at this point is to wait.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orlando columnist's words make way for one from San Antonio, along with questionable word choice from Moose Johnston.

 

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/nick_talbot/article/San-Antonio-deserves-better-than-Alliance-of-13724948.php

 

Quote

Of course, working with the NFLPA to be a feeder league to the NFL wasn’t considered a requirement for survival in the early stages of the Alliance.

“It has not been an idea from the start,” Commanders general manager Daryl Johnston said. “It’s new ownership coming in and seeing an opportunity to grow it in a different direction than the original visionaries, Charlie (Ebersol) and Bill, did.”

 

And this kicker...

Quote

Johnston admitted Thursday the Alliance’s model must change — they need to reduce expenses.

 

“There are a lot of things from a business standpoint that we can get better at,” Johnston said. “But there’s a lot of first-time expenses that aren’t going to be there from an original startup. So, year two is going to be a little easier than year one.”

Moose is the only dude to (kinda) acknowledge attendance in Memphis, Arizona, Atlanta and Memphis is damn dreadful.

 

And then this...

Quote

Even the Commanders have begun to cut back, letting less staff travel to away games.

 

“I think it’s a learning experience,” Commanders president Vic Gregovits said. “We have gone through and decided who do we need to travel and who we don’t need to travel, and again, how do we do our jobs more effectively?”

These people were just spending money freely and without regards to revenue or apparently consequences.

Edited by dfwabel
removed radio quote as it's in the Bianchi article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Can someone please explain what is this supposedly revolutionary tech that is connected to this league? 

It involves their tracking system, or both players and the ball. Conceivably, this tracking system would allow for in-game, play-by-play gambling opportunities, as well as scouting of the abilities of players, the movement of the ball -- both of which could be advantageous in the hands of someone else for training or sales purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

It involves their tracking system, or both players and the ball. Conceivably, this tracking system would allow for in-game, play-by-play gambling opportunities, as well as scouting of the abilities of players, the movement of the ball -- both of which could be advantageous in the hands of someone else for training or sales purposes.

Exactly.

Dundon already has a semi-similar system for tracking golf balls used by NBC for the PGA Tour, called Toptracer.

 

He wants to monopolize the tech.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dfwabel said:

And then this...

These people were just spending money freely and without regards to revenue or apparently consequences.

 

The Silicon Valley culture in a nutshell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They wanted to be a tech start-up, not a football league.

 

Grand dreams but fuzzy on the details? Unsustainable business model coupled with poor management, leading to a desperate search for enough new cash to keep them alive while they figure out what they’re doing?  Mission accomplished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small but boisterous crowd apparently at Memphis. But, still a pretty small crowd. Maybe stop threatening to shut the league down?

 

Vince has to love all the turmoil around the AAF. If there weren't very real financial issues, I'd think that he's starting rumors about it collapsing.

Edited by Red Comet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Small but boisterous crowd apparently at Memphis. But, still a pretty small crowd. Maybe stop threatening to shut the league down?

Dunden's DOTARD'ian threat has done the league no favors, whatever momentum this league couldve had going was shot down this past week. You think this crowd is bad wait til tonights Fleet-Stallions LMAO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, mkg74 said:

Dunden's DOTARD'ian threat has done the league no favors, whatever momentum this league couldve had going was shot down this past week. You think this crowd is bad wait til tonights Fleet-Stallions LMAO

Especially since they were shoveling snow off the field yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Especially since they were shoveling snow off the field yesterday.

 

Gosh, it's almost as though spring football isn’t a fantastic idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

Gosh, it's almost as though spring football isn’t a fantastic idea. 

If it were really spring football, this would be Week 1 or 2. This is a winter football league. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats worse than the pathetic attendance was this game was controlled by NFL'ian refereeing, The very very reason im a former NFL fan. This game did the league no good favor at all. just pathetic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memphis can't catch a break. I can see Orlando losing another game this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mkg74 said:

Whats worse than the pathetic attendance was this game was controlled by NFL'ian refereeing, The very very reason im a former NFL fan. This game did the league no good favor at all. just pathetic

Players and coaches throwing multiple fits didn't help either. That last 4 minutes was exciting but it also included poor management of emotions by Singletary and players on both teams. Wasting a timeout trying to get the booth to see if the snap was late after running on to the field shows a lack of control on his part. He's got to set the example and that's not the one he should be setting. Manziel and Silvers both had to deal with a center that wasn't getting them the ball quickly and still did pretty well. Silvers may get a camp invite. Hopefully Manziel is back next week. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

If it were really spring football, this would be Week 1 or 2. This is a winter football league. 😉 

I think the  WLAFs first season started in mid-March. That's why I was surprised to see Salt Lake involved. We'll see if this makes the XFL reconsider or if they'll stay the course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.