USA Baseball not in Olympics?

Retromaniac

I believe they used some minor leaguers. I could be wrong cause I think some minor leagures are part of the players union.

The U.S. lost one game in qualifcations. It was the one that counted against mexico and they lost by 1.

Interesting side note. Mexico also beat the U.S. in Mens soccer, thus preventing them from participating in the olmpics in that sport. I wanna say it was by the same score, but I'm probably wrong. Oh well, they are golden for World Cup '06!

c'mon Aussies....anyway i think cuba will win....i've got a poster in my room about 'Aussies against the odds' its got Kieren Perkins triumph in atlanta and also has Australia beating Cuba in Baseball in 1999 in Sydney in the intercontinental cup

so my bet is Cuba and we'll finish 4th or 5th

in other words, i have no idea

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Sadly, last November in Panama, the USA lost to Mexico, 1-0 in a qualifying tournement quarter-final. Hence, no USA involvement in the Olympic baseball in Athens. That was embarrassing, and the real reason interim commissioner of Major League Baseball for life Bud Selig, the players union and the International Baseball Federation (whether Japan likes it or not) are planning a "World Cup of Baseball" in 2005 or 2006.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

After being embarrasingly disqualified from the Olympics by Mexico simply because we couldn't use our nation's best, I propose a petition to get Major League Baseball players into the Olympics. We have NBA & NHL already. Why not MLB? If we had used Major League Baseball players, then we would have defeated Mexico and would have been able to participate in the Olympic game that we invented. It might be difficult to do though, being that the Olympics are during baseball season most of the time (excluding southern hemisphere nations). However, I believe that it would be an exciting time for backups and minor leaguers to show what they can do. It might hurt the teams, though.

Sorry, I doubt that'll happen for the same reasons you mentioned. Let the Double A and Triple A players play in the Olympics. The Baseball World Cup will be in '05 or '06. Then we'll kick the rest of the world's @$$ - especially Mexico's - in that event.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

After being embarrasingly disqualified from the Olympics by Mexico simply because we couldn't use our nation's best, I propose a petition to get Major League Baseball players into the Olympics. We have NBA & NHL already. Why not MLB? If we had used Major League Baseball players, then we would have defeated Mexico and would have been able to participate in the Olympic game that we invented. It might be difficult to do though, being that the Olympics are during baseball season most of the time (excluding southern hemisphere nations). However, I believe that it would be an exciting time for backups and minor leaguers to show what they can do. It might hurt the teams, though.

You forget the Winter Olympics is in the Middle of the NHL season and they still take time off for the Olympics... so thats not the reason... so lets take a look at the board the top 5 answers are on the board... We asked 100 people why wont major league baseball play in the olympics... Ill go with drug testing... *good answer good answer*... Ok drug testing lets take a look, SURVEY SAYS.... ding ding ding...

with MLBs relunctancy to have a transparent drug testing system the Olympics wont touch their players with a 10 foot clown pole... though I am sure many MLB stars would take the Olympics off to "rest" to avoid such tests...

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

You forget the Winter Olympics is in the Middle of the NHL season and they still take time off for the Olympics... so thats not the reason... so lets take a look at the board the top 5 answers are on the board... We asked 100 people why wont major league baseball play in the olympics... Ill go with drug testing... *good answer good answer*... Ok drug testing lets take a look, SURVEY SAYS.... ding ding ding...

with MLBs relunctancy to have a transparent drug testing system the Olympics wont touch their players with a 10 foot clown pole... though I am sure many MLB stars would take the Olympics off to "rest" to avoid such tests...

Well, drug testing might be part of it. However, the main reason is because the olympics happen when the playoff races start. As for the NHL, well in 2006 it is probable that NHL players won't be used. The players don't like the condensed schedules, and the owners don't really want their players in the olympics and getting hurt. The reason for the NHL players was for Salt Lake, Nagano was a test run. They wanted the NHL players in Salt Lake for the promotion becuase the games were in America. They also wanted a US-Canada gold medal game for promotion. Well, they got that. So the chances that the NHL is involved com 06 is unlikely.

NHL at Turin is unlikely because there isnt a CBA in effect yet the IOC wants to have that done soon so they can get their ducks in a line... but really if they dont get into Turin, they have to be ready for Vancouver, not having NHL players in Canada would be enough to cause a riot... the NHL needs the olympics to further prove they have the worlds best hockey players, like the Olympics needs the North American exposure that the NHL players give them... yes its the olympics but Iginla at the Olympics would get more coverage than a fairly unknown juniour player

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

THE US should still go as defending gold medalist I dont get why we had to quailfy any way.

as much as i love to see the US not make it into events..and some being disqualified...i do agree with you....one bad game..or even a couple shouldn't have anything to do with it..they should be in it as defenders of the title.

but you're not and it starts tomorrow so :flagcanada::flagcanada:

but you're not and it starts tomorrow

It actually starts on August 15:

Baseball Calendar

During the 2004 Olympic Games, all Baseball games will take place within the span of 11 days (August 15-25), two of which are designated as rest days (August 19th, August 23rd).

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Archived