49ers Throw It Back to the 94ers, Unveil Alternate Uniform

2 hours ago, HooperScooper said:

I'm not trying to insult you. I just don't get what makes the Steelers throw backs that much better. I'm sorry if you thought it was an insult but that wasn't my intention. I'm just curious as why you think the Steelers throw back that much better

Pretty sure I explained it in the other thread you referenced - thin italic numbers belong on the side of stock cars. Not on a football jersey. And relatively small details make a very large difference.

Now that your question has been answered, can we agree that it’s bad form to invoke a person’s prior posts in an attempt to draw some sort of conclusion about them?  Better, I think, to stay on topic here.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, Gothamite said:

Pretty sure I explained it in the other thread you referenced - thin italic numbers belong on the side of stock cars. Not on a football jersey. And relatively small details make a very large difference.

Now that your question has been answered, can we agree that it’s bad form to invoke a person’s prior posts in an attempt to draw some sort of conclusion about them?  Better, I think, to stay on topic here.

But they look great and fit the Steelers branding. Do all nfl numbers have to be block? Is there any nfl jersey where the redesign was BETTER than the original?

Worn by champs (4 Super Bowls):

76241944_original.jpg

Worn by chokers (1, followed by oodles of playoff failure and the York-led demolition of the team):

jeff-garcia-277x350.jpg

This is how I treat the team’s uniform history. The team ruined their set, only to bring back the classic look (in a bit of a botched fashion with the striping - but that’s the York ownership for you).

I wouldn’t mind if black left their identity entirely, dropping it from the logo as well.

40 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

76241944_original.jpg

OT: Aesthetically, the Super Bowl should be in California nearly every year. Because of the earlier start due to time zones, the winter sun always provides great lighting.

Rose Bowl game is the same way.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

44 minutes ago, HooperScooper said:

But they look great and fit the Steelers branding.

Geeze. I prefer the Steelers' italic numbers are your insistence on having this argument is making me agree with Goth. This isn't a thread about the Steelers. So drop it.

Is there any nfl jersey where the redesign was BETTER than the original?

Cincinnati Bengals, 1981 redesign

Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1997 redesign

Detroit Lions, 2009 redesign

Buffalo Bills, 2011 redesign

Minnesota Vikings, 2013 redesign

Jacksonville Jaguars, 2018 redesign

Just off the top of my head. So will you please give the "everyone here just likes old stuff" strawman a rest?

On 10/18/2018 at 8:53 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

Oh yeah, the gold pants were definitely a problem; I was talking more about the white pants that preceded those, as the gold pants came later:

719050.jpg

(Line weights are different for some reason, but colors are the same)

But yeah, those gold pants were weird, weren’t they? I don’t know what the thinking was behind that stripe. Maybe it was because some players’ helmets had that raised stripe down the middle that made the helmet look like it had a thin gold stripe in between the black and dark red at the right angle, and they thought it’d match that? I don’t know, but definitely a head scratcher for sure. That’s definitely something that’s a bit glaring in hindsight.

^ That is the reason I believe they had the stripes like that. 

I wrote a blog post about this a while back investigating the stripes: https://butattheendoftheday.com/2018/03/04/49ers-helmet-inconsistencies/

Also one investigating the inconsistent numerals: https://butattheendoftheday.com/2016/10/15/the-odd-49ers-number-font-during-the-1996-season/

Go A's!

On 10/18/2018 at 9:16 PM, Mitch B said:

I generally choose aesthetics over accuracy in uniforms.

That’s a good attitude to take when designing new full-time looks. 

It’s a pretty bad attitude to take when reproducing throwbacks to honour a past team :P 

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

76241944_original.jpg

I love that uniform, but I really don't like this uniform:

Image result for 49ers 2018

I think it's like 95% to do with the shade of the pants and 5% the shade of the helmet? Oh also the lack of sock stripes.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

4 hours ago, DeFrank said:

I love that uniform, but I really don't like this uniform:

Image result for 49ers 2018

I think it's like 95% to do with the shade of the pants and 5% the shade of the helmet? Oh also the lack of sock stripes.

The real problem is the striping on the Jersey. The 94 rushback unis prove that you can get the classic 3 stripes on the jerseys. 

17 minutes ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

The real problem is the striping on the Jersey. The 94 rushback unis prove that you can get the classic 3 stripes on the jerseys. 

I don't think they changed the stripes because they didn't feel they could fit 3 on the sleeve... I think they changed it to match the helmet and pants.

1 hour ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

I admit losing a stripe doesn’t bother me. They’ve changed the socks and use the newer version of the logo, so a straight reproduction of the Montana-era look isn’t what they’re going for. 

Archived